Gift for a Coast Guard grad

My son in-law is graduating from Coast Guard basic in a few day and I need some recommendations for a knife that can stand up to life on a ship and salt water.
I really don't know what his job will entail. All I know is that he will be on a cutter.

What I think it should be:
Folder
Blade 3.5" and under
Partially serrated
Premium stainless steel
Price range is under $200.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone,

Spyderco Salt line. The steel is totally immune to rust and they're reasonably priced. There are a great many to choose from, but maybe look at the Atlantic or Salt 1. They meet all of your requirements, though they're basically fully serrated.

This one's easy. There's a traditional sailor's knife that has what's called a Marlin spike. My understanding is that it's used for ropework like rigging and knot tying.

The traditional slip joint version usually has a sheepsfoot blade.

products-2186-2-large_Rough-Rider-Sailor-s-Knife---Amber---RR535.jpg

If you think he's more into a modern or "tac" aesthetic, Spyderco has a model with a marlin spike:

C06TIP-2%5Blarge%5D.1392232782.jpg

There are lots of variations of sailor's knives at all price points. Anyway, great gift idea and happy hunting!

Kent

During my times on a CG Cutter, a good multitool is what I used/needed most of the time. Corrosion wasn't really an issue and there is plenty of off time to wipe it down on occasion. Made many trips, no rust problems. If you go with something requiring a sheath, be sure it's black.

During my times on a CG Cutter, a good multitool is what I used/needed most of the time. Corrosion wasn't really an issue and there is plenty of off time to wipe it down on occasion. Made many trips, no rust problems. If you go with something requiring a sheath, be sure it's black.

Solid suggestion.

A Benchmade Ritter Grip in M390 would be great as well.

I would suggest a Boye Folder with a Marlin spike. These are well made have Ti clips and spikes and are a perfect everyday option. The cobalt material holds a edge for a long time as well.

knifeart_2267_89550640

GUBoye368.jpg

Spyderco Salt line. The steel is totally immune to rust and they're reasonably priced. There are a great many to choose from, but maybe look at the Atlantic or Salt 1. They meet all of your requirements, though they're basically fully serrated.
My Son who was in the CG many years ago,now retired agrees. He thinks serrated would be a plus. Congrats to your Son in law and thanks for his service.:):thumbup:
[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/blackhorse71/media/me19.jpg.html][/URL]

I'd say Pacific Salt serrated. Forget combo edges, they try to do two things well and usually end up doing neither well. The H1 steel is much harder (like 65 Rockwell) in the serrated form as a result of it's work hardening properties. Essentially what happens is that as they grind the serrations, it causes the steel to become harder and harder. There is nothing wrong with plain edge H1 blades, but they will not hold their edge as well as serrated will. Another cool thing (and especially useful on a ship) is that the Salt knives will not rust at all. The blade is H1 obviously, which contains almost not carbon it really can't rust, the clips are titanium (which doesn't rust), the hardware is either H1 or treated (I've heard both) and there are not washers, the blade is just steel on FRN.

The Pacific Salt is right about 3.6", the Atlantic is a little smaller at about 3.3" and the blade shapes are a little different also. Regular production of all the Salt knives is in black or yellow handles with either sating or DLC finished blades. Since the steel is basically rustproof, the choice of DLC versus satin really just comes down to personal preference on appearance.

The only downside to H1 (and it's not a big deal, especially or a work knife) is that it is prone to scratching.

I can only agree with what has been said. A good multi tool like a Leatherman Wave could serve so many functions. The Salt line from spyderco has almost any blade shape, size, and serration pattern you could think of. Mine has seen some serious water use. That BM Ritter grip with M390 would be neat also. Easy one handed opening and closing on a boat could come in very handy. You know, hold what your cutting or hold on to something, while your other hand can operate the knife in complete independence.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
The salt series sounds great and I have never heard of a Marlin Spike.

Now its off to the interweb to research.

Thanks for your help,

It might be a bit of an overkill, butI have to mention the Spyderco Autonomy. Not sure if it has been released or not.

Here's the description from blade HQ "The Autonomy was developed based on the demanding mission requirements of the U.S. Coast Guard’s rescue swimmers."

H1 steel, fully serrated and just a little longer than your requirements.

Get him the boye folder. David boye comes from a line of sailors and his design has been perfected over the last 25 years. There is a review in the review subforum at this time. The boye folder is recommended by sailors and knife folk, plus sailing and knife magazines.

My thoughts exactly. I think a leatherman wave would be useful. A Benchmade Griptillian is a great knife also.

I find myself using the drivers on the leatherman more often than I need a blade, and the blade in the wave is pretty capable for most minor tasks.

The marlin spike is for loosening knots that have been cinched down too tight to undo by hand. Pretty handy on a ship where cutting a rope is not an option.

Back