Gift ideas for my father.

Hey so my fathers birthday, as well as fathers day and his wedding are coming up and I was looking to get him a nice american made folder. Would like to stay in the ~100 range, and I'm open to some good suggestions. I've been considering a Manix 2 so far, but I'm finding it oddly difficult to settle on a choice for someone that isn't me.

Thanks!

If he's a guy who likes modern knives the Manix is a great choice(especially since it was your idea in the first place). That's what really matters. The Manix is a tried and proven performer so that is of no concern.

If he's a traditional knife guy there's a million different options, but take a look at GEC's or the ol' classic Buck 301(I've gotten my dad a Rosewood model in the past and it's been in his pocket since I handed it to him). Being a knife guy I've often thought of other knives to get for him, though I'm almost 100% sure they wouldn't land in his pocket.

If he's a guy who likes modern knives the Manix is a great choice(especially since it was your idea in the first place). That's what really matters. The Manix is a tried and proven performer so that is of no concern.

If he's a traditional knife guy there's a million different options, but take a look at GEC's or the ol' classic Buck 301(I've gotten my dad a Rosewood model in the past and it's been in his pocket since I handed it to him). Being a knife guy I've often thought of other knives to get for him, though I'm almost 100% sure they wouldn't land in his pocket.
Well I suppose therein lies a question I'm not sure I have a definitive answer to. He, like any man, has a couple knives, but not like us. Not a collection, and not usually anything higher end. He has a Buck 119 that has been in his possession for at least 20 years and he's quite fond of it. And he has some ka-bar folder he leaves in his glovebox for utility.

Regarding the Manix line, I personally own a Manix 2 lightweight, and he is really fond of the grip and ergonomics, having additionally stated that he likes the appearance of the G10 handles, but not the FRCP on the lightweight. He has also expressed interest in, for instance, my Kizer Shoal. Though, as I stated originally, he would prefer something that was all-american in company, production, steel, etc. Not that I can blame him.

What size range, smaller than a Buck 110 ?
What about a 112 ranger ?
Actually that's about the size range, I'm just unfamiliar with the knife and assumed it was tiny having not seen a picture of it in someones hand until now. Lol. Now I feel moderately stupid, but I was gonna say a 3 to 4 inch blade.

My dad is smaller folder guy, and certainly not a knife-nut or steel snob, so last year for father's day I got him this little trifecta to give him 3 very distinct different options...
mZWWXXZ.jpg

nsPPFKs.jpg

The manix 2 is a solid choice for a modern folder. A classic Buck 112 would be a great old school classic choice, (copper & clad has a nice black micarta and s30v version if you wanted an upgraded classic)... Skblades has a really nice limited edition brown micarta and 20cv blade Buck Vantage, inspired by member votes right here on bladeforums, gives a classic look to a fully modern and limited Buck...
(I may or may not have just preordered one of the vantages for myself before they're gone)...

Well I suppose therein lies a question I'm not sure I have a definitive answer to. He, like any man, has a couple knives, but not like us. Not a collection, and not usually anything higher end. He has a Buck 119 that has been in his possession for at least 20 years and he's quite fond of it. And he has some ka-bar folder he leaves in his glovebox for utility.

Regarding the Manix line, I personally own a Manix 2 lightweight, and he is really fond of the grip and ergonomics, having additionally stated that he likes the appearance of the G10 handles, but not the FRCP on the lightweight. He has also expressed interest in, for instance, my Kizer Shoal. Though, as I stated originally, he would prefer something that was all-american in company, production, steel, etc. Not that I can blame him.

If he showed an interest in the Manix I'd say that's really solid choice. I absolutely love mine, it's a do-all type of folder.

I'd actually go with the G10 because of the reasons you stated, and if anything you guys'll have something similar, but not exactly the same. It'll give you something to compare notes to, so to say. Something in common, which is always a good thing to have with your Dad.

I would go Spyderco Stretch man. If your dad uses his knife he will absolutely love it. It is one of the most used for reasonable and stupid reasons knives I own. I cannot recommend the stretch enough. Great knife!!!

I'd agree with the (customized) Buck 110 or alternatively I think a Raffir Noble Chapparel makes for a nice gift as well. Good knife, neat scales.

If he likes your Manix 2 and likes G10, I think you are done looking.

If he showed an interest in the Manix I'd say that's really solid choice. I absolutely love mine, it's a do-all type of folder.

I'd actually go with the G10 because of the reasons you stated, and if anything you guys'll have something similar, but not exactly the same. It'll give you something to compare notes to, so to say. Something in common, which is always a good thing to have with your Dad.
Sounds like I might have answered my own question there. Probably a solid choice one way or the other. I'm likely trying to hit two birds with one stone though, leading me to my next point.

My dad is smaller folder guy, and certainly not a knife-nut or steel snob, so last year for father's day I got him this little trifecta to give him 3 very distinct different options...

The manix 2 is a solid choice for a modern folder. A classic Buck 112 would be a great old school classic choice, (copper & clad has a nice black micarta and s30v version if you wanted an upgraded classic)... Skblades has a really nice limited edition brown micarta and 20cv blade Buck Vantage, inspired by member votes right here on bladeforums, gives a classic look to a fully modern and limited Buck...
(I may or may not have just preordered one of the vantages for myself before they're gone)...

Which makes me think perhaps I should just get him the Manix and another smaller more elegant knife to compensate for the lack of gentlemanly value on the robust Manix. I did, by the way, really like the look of those suggestions you gave me.

What about the Benchmade Mini Crooked River?
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Mini-Crooked-River-AXIS--78770

I had no idea that the Mini Crooked River was so much, until I went to get the link. :eek:
Well, if you want to blow your budget out of the water, I think it might be a good fit, judging by the knives he has.

I have a couple Benchmades and haven't been as happy with them as my Spydercos, they just don't feel quite right for whatever reason. Guess it's just not for me, and if I'm anything like my father, I guess that would extend to him. I showed him a picture of the BM 940 and he said it was hideous. Well, his exact words were "Ooh... I don't like that." with the kind of expression you make when you've ingested too much lemon.

I would go Spyderco Stretch man. If your dad uses his knife he will absolutely love it. It is one of the most used for reasonable and stupid reasons knives I own. I cannot recommend the stretch enough. Great knife!!!
I don't like the look of the stretch, and I would prefer not to go with lockback. I think it would be nice for him to feel some nice more modern locking mechanism.

Sounds like I might have answered my own question there. Probably a solid choice one way or the other. I'm likely trying to hit two birds with one stone though, leading me to my next point.

Which makes me think perhaps I should just get him the Manix and another smaller more elegant knife to compensate for the lack of gentlemanly value on the robust Manix. I did, by the way, really like the look of those suggestions you gave me.

I have a couple Benchmades and haven't been as happy with them as my Spydercos, they just don't feel quite right for whatever reason. Guess it's just not for me, and if I'm anything like my father, I guess that would extend to him. I showed him a picture of the BM 940 and he said it was hideous. Well, his exact words were "Ooh... I don't like that." with the kind of expression you make when you've ingested too much lemon.

I don't like the look of the stretch, and I would prefer not to go with lockback. I think it would be nice for him to feel some nice more modern locking mechanism.

Go for the Manix and a black Victorinox Alox Cadet. Its slim, svelte, lightweight, infinitely useful and looks as at home in a suit as it does in the workshop.

Back