Gilwell hand axe

Hi

can anybody help me? I have recently bought a hand axe with GiLWELL stamped on the head. That is how it is stamped - all upper case except the i.
I know that Gilwell was where the boy scout movement was started by Baden-Powell in the early 20th C. but I wasn't aware that they produced axes. Has anybody come across this make? Any information would be welcome.

I would love to find one of these and give it to the man who ran our Woodbadge training. It's a leadership camp in scouting. He is an amazing guy who would really appreciate something like that.
If you ever decide to sell it let me know!
Also, I'd love to see some pictures of it.

i was given a Axe years ago with the word Gilwell stamped on it it had no handle but i had one
i have 4 photos of the axe but cant dowload them ? i have tryed to

Last edited:
i was given a Axe years ago with the word Gilwell stamped on it it had no handle but i had one
i have 4 photos of the axe but cant dowload them ? i have tryed to
You need to download the photos to a photo hosting site like imgur or photobucket first and copy the direct link. Paste that link using the photo insertion tool in your post here.
Hope that helps!

FYI The spelling changed to "Gilwell" when Baden-Powell was created a Baronet in 1929. So it was "Gillwell" for about ten years of its Scouting history, starting in 1919. There are knives with the "Gillwell" spelling.

Last edited:
Back