Girls Packing Steel.....

My daughter's high school class (seniors), went to observe a trial yesterday, as part of their government class. Of course at the courthouse door, they have metal detectors and they check purses. My daughter said two of the girls were armed to the teeth! Knives, tasers, sprays...everything except guns. They stashed it all in the bushes so they could get inside!

There is a pretty limiting state law about knives on K-12 campuses! My daughter carries a Benchmade mini AFCK (sadly discontinued!), but she leaves it in her car and parks on city street, not on school property (this is a private school...not public). Thing is, one of the girls fathers is a federal LEO!!! Guess he figures he wants his daughter well protected.....

I did print out the state law for my daughter to take to them. I am sure the school has a no weapons policy, even though one could come up with a knife that skirted around the state law.

why would you ask your daughter to take them a copy of the laws?

Anyone smart enough to have made it to high school already knows they're not allowed to be prepared or to defend themselves.

why would you ask your daughter to take them a copy of the laws?

Anyone smart enough to have made it to high school already knows they're not allowed to be prepared or to defend themselves.

Well, there are some ways to skirt around the law, and I wanted to be sure they can take advantage of those if possible. Blade must be <2.5" and not have a locking blade. This makes an Emerson La Griffe a good choice, but fixed blades can't be concealed, so you have to find a way around that, etc.......

When 911 started the crack down at airports, I was amused by all the pointy little scissors that could double as a push dagger that they were confiscating.

My daughter's high school class (seniors), went to observe a trial yesterday, as part of their government class. Of course at the courthouse door, they have metal detectors and they check purses. My daughter said two of the girls were armed to the teeth! Knives, tasers, sprays...everything except guns. They stashed it all in the bushes so they could get inside!

There is a pretty limiting state law about knives on K-12 campuses! My daughter carries a Benchmade mini AFCK (sadly discontinued!), but she leaves it in her car and parks on city street, not on school property (this is a private school...not public). Thing is, one of the girls fathers is a federal LEO!!! Guess he figures he wants his daughter well protected.....

I did print out the state law for my daughter to take to them. I am sure the school has a no weapons policy, even though one could come up with a knife that skirted around the state law.

Good grief, how did high-school students afford Tasers? Those things aren't cheap. Also, in most states, don't you have to be 21 and have a license to carry them, or something like that? I just hope the girls knew how to effectively use their self defense stuff.

Good grief, how did high-school students afford Tasers? Those things aren't cheap. Also, in most states, don't you have to be 21 and have a license to carry them, or something like that? I just hope the girls knew how to effectively use their self defense stuff.

I know that the "tasers," the ones that shoot the probes, are expensive. Stun Guns, the contact devices that don't shoot, are relatively cheap in comparison. I believe tasers require the individual to be 18+ and pass a background check (at least in CA), although no CCW is required. Not too sure about stun guns, though.

Well, there are some ways to skirt around the law, and I wanted to be sure they can take advantage of those if possible. Blade must be <2.5" and not have a locking blade. This makes an Emerson La Griffe a good choice, but fixed blades can't be concealed, so you have to find a way around that, etc.......

a high school girl openly carrying a lagriffe, now that would start a new stylle craze lol, wouldnt happen with any i know of pretty much regardless of age, my wife loved knives but she woulda never packed a FB not concealed it woulda clashed with the rest of her ensemble lol.

as far as stun guns they are completely useless, they dont work, plain and simple, now tasers, thats another story.

Sadly our schools seem to take the ostrich approach to ensure their student are safe. Pepper spray is about the best they can do to try and protect themselves, my daughter carried it throughout her high school years.

i think its a great idea that girls are armed (as long as they are trained and responsible). my best friend is a girl and she carries a cheap (chinese) 4" folder in her purse. we have a date set up for the day she turns 21 so we can go buy her a SIG SAUER 232(.380ACP)

Mindset, Skillset, Toolset...in that order.

Hopefully the parents of these girls aren't relying on this stuff to keep them safe. Frank discussion about what it takes to survive confrontation, followed by training, followed by carrying what-ever keeps prepaired to defend themselves.

By the way, I know I plagiarized the opening statement, but I think it fits a lot in this life.

I would allow my teenage kid to carry a knife, especially if it was a girl. I wouldnt let them carry at school though. In fact i might insist a daughter carry something. I ddont have any kids yet though.
Pepper spray i think is good for them, it cant kill them and is useful. Maybe even let them carry that to school.
Stun guns can be effective. They hurt like crap.
Any tool could be used against someone of course, however statistically people who deffend themselves with a wweapon have a high rate of avoiding being raped. Something in the mid 90%. Ill half to go find the source if someone wants to question that though.

One thing I am worried about is the willingness to use a deadly weapon on somone. My wife hates guns, she went shooting with me once and only did it at my urging. Id be affraid of her having a gun pinted at a bad guy and not being willing to use it because then if he called her bluff well he has a gun. She said she would use a bat but thats not so great in a narrow halllway and without much strength etc. I asked her if she could take a human life to protect her family and she said she didnt know. Maybe presented with an actual situation it would be a resounding yes but who knows.
It seems that it may be the case that there are those who just wouldnt have the capacity to kill even to protect. Is it natural, learned i dont know. Sorry thats kind of off topic but its something im concerned about.... I mean its not emotionally easy to slash someone wth a knife but if its you or them...

Last edited:
Back