Giving the Bugout One Last Chance with the Blade HQ g10 Exclusive

So, I'm stubborn. I don't like the Bugout. I've seen all the videos and reviews, from KnifeCenter, Blade HQ and many others. It's a popular knife. It just feels cheap in the hand to me. It is what it's supposed to be, but I have bought 3 of them, and sent them all back. I just can't get over the flexy, light, cheap feeling frn scales. But, then I see the new Blade HQ exclusive in the G10 with 20 CV and I'm going down the rabbit hole one more time. I love the geometry of the knife. I love what it's supposed to be. But when I had one, I immediately put it aside for anything else: my Spyderco PM2, my Civivi Elementum, my old BM Mini-Freek, and even my BM Grizzly Ridge. I rotated every single edc knife I have and skipped the Bugout every time. I'd pick it up, fidget with it, admire its lines and the blade, and then I'd flex that handle, put it back in the drawer and go about my day. I'm hoping this time is different. Maybe it won't be. But, there are so, so many things to love about that knife. I think with stiffer scales and less cheap plastic feel, I may have found a winner. I'll know in a few days, I guess. Not sure if any of you have bought one and what your thoughts are. I lurk here all the time, but have yet to post. Anyone tried the G10 on the Bugout and have a different feel about the knife with better scales?

I got aftermarket G10 scales for mine and it makes the knife feel so much better. I was never worried about the strength of the original scales, just don't like the feel of them. The weight difference is imperceptible to me also. If you like everything else about the Bugout, then I'm guessing you will like this version.

IMG_48652_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Ti Scales

Last edited:
The BHQ exclusive feels much different (better and more solid) than the standard versions. It’s a bit heavier but I still hardly notice the weight in pocket.

All the reviews state it takes the knife to a new level. I'll see tomorrow when it arrives. I hope so. I really want to like it.

I like the bugout, and never really had any issues with the standard scales. Yeah, they are plastic and can flex, but that wasn't a deal killer for me. CF, G-10 or any of the metal scales definitely make the knife feel more solid and that's a good thing. Depending on what your after as far as the feel, you will like the G-10 way better. It still doesn't feel like the Freek, Grip, PM2 or 3, or in my case the 940, but it is better.

TXPO

I felt the same way when I first held a bugout a few years back. I put it off for a long time because of it. Then I bought one....... man after using it for a few months......I realized it was the perfect edc. It can handle anything you throw at it.

I have played with a Bugout sporting Ti scales. Huge difference.

The same with aftermarket Ti scales on the Bailout.

Both are great knives.

Well, the hype is real. I got it earlier today, and have fidgeted with it all afternoon. I love it with the G10 scales and 20cv blade. It did come less sharp than other BM’s I have out of the box, but I sharpen every new knife I get immediately anyway. A quick hit with the 600 and 1300 stones on my KME, a few swipes on the white ceramic Spyderco stone, a little work on my black ultra fine Dan’s Arkansas stone and then stropping and it’s popping hairs like I spent an hour on it. Really functional knife and it’s completely transformed with the stiffer handle.

I do think I’d like one from the BM Custom Shop, but this one looks good and was $60 cheaper than ordering custom. I’m good for now. There are other knives I want to add to my collection before I get a 2nd of the same knife.

But, for anyone who is in the same boat with wanting the Bugout, but hating the way it feels, check out a G10 version. It completely transforms the knife and it’s still very, very light. 1.9oz total weight.

I never liked the original Bugout because of the handle and now I love it with the G-10 handle and 20-CV blade. It's what I wanted it to be when it was first released. I won't go near the new 945 until they do an upgrade model with better steel and a non blacked out blade. In 2 years the 945 will have better materials like what they did with the Bugout. It's marketing, but I always wait for the optimal set up until it's higher end materials and then buy. They have the new Bugout G-10 with CV-20 correct now.

I have several Benchmade's.....probably 7 or 8. One of my dream knives is a 940 Osborne in either the original green with satin blade, or the carbon fiber. I was about to buy one, but then saw the 945 come out. With every knife I've ever bought, I always like the smaller version better: mini-griptilian, mini-Freek, etc. I don't mind a big knife, but I find myself carryng knives with blades betwen 2.75" and 3.25" most often. The one exception is my Benchmade Grizzly Ridge. I bought it mainly for hunting and field dressing, but I find it in my pocket all the time. I absolutely love that knife. I'm wondering if the 945 might be another one that I prefer in a smaller package. As much as I love the look and heritage of the 940, I've never actually held one in my hand.

One question for those with Bugout's: I have the slightest bit of blade play. I tightened down all the spacer screws, removed the pivot screw, applied blue locktight and put it back in, with micro adjustments. I either have a tiny bit of blade play, or when it's completely gone, there is no drop shut on the blade. It immediately goes tight. With every other Benchmade I have, there is a sweet spot to eliminate blade play and still have the ability to flick open and drop shut. Is the Bugout different, or do I need to take it apart and put it back together completely, re-oiling all the contact points? Granted, it's not a heavy duty knife that a bit of blade play will probably ever hurt, but my OCD wants it gone, if possible.

One question for those with Bugout's: I have the slightest bit of blade play. I tightened down all the spacer screws, removed the pivot screw, applied blue locktight and put it back in, with micro adjustments. I either have a tiny bit of blade play, or when it's completely gone, there is no drop shut on the blade. It immediately goes tight. With every other Benchmade I have, there is a sweet spot to eliminate blade play and still have the ability to flick open and drop shut. Is the Bugout different, or do I need to take it apart and put it back together completely, re-oiling all the contact points? Granted, it's not a heavy duty knife that a bit of blade play will probably ever hurt, but my OCD wants it gone, if possible.

My bugout has some side to side play. It honestly doesn’t bother me since every Benchmade I have owned has had it.

DzL0Hy5.jpg
I have several Benchmade's.....probably 7 or 8. One of my dream knives is a 940 Osborne in either the original green with satin blade, or the carbon fiber. I was about to buy one, but then saw the 945 come out. With every knife I've ever bought, I always like the smaller version better: mini-griptilian, mini-Freek, etc. I don't mind a big knife, but I find myself carryng knives with blades betwen 2.75" and 3.25" most often. The one exception is my Benchmade Grizzly Ridge. I bought it mainly for hunting and field dressing, but I find it in my pocket all the time. I absolutely love that knife. I'm wondering if the 945 might be another one that I prefer in a smaller package. As much as I love the look and heritage of the 940, I've never actually held one in my hand.

I like the 940 design a lot, and carry a 20cv version almost every day. If I don't have my 940 on me, I have my BK-2 bugout. Both knives are great, but I do agree with most, both knives should have a better more premium steel as the standard, especially at their price point.

For me and my EDC usage, the 940 is just a bit better because of the thicker reverse tanto blade. Everyone's EDC requirements vary, and IMO the Bugout and the 940 are about the best out there, and you can't go wrong with either.

TXPO

Comparing the Aluminum, g10 and carbon fiber, is there a reason it went with G10 over the others? I can’t make up my mind. Part of me wants the traditional aluminum, part of me wants the premium CF and the other part feels that the G10 might be the most comfortable, grippy of the bunch. Problem is no one local carries them in stock and I can’t feel them in hand for myself.

Comparing the Aluminum, g10 and carbon fiber, is there a reason it went with G10 over the others? I can’t make up my mind. Part of me wants the traditional aluminum, part of me wants the premium CF and the other part feels that the G10 might be the most comfortable, grippy of the bunch. Problem is no one local carries them in stock and I can’t feel them in hand for myself.

The Aluminum version is nice, but I prefer the G-10 as well for durability as it looks better longer. The CF would be next for me as it will hold up as well as G-10 but cost quote a bit more. S90 can be a little tricky to work with as far as sharpening goes as well. BHQ has an M4 with jade scales that is being released on Wed the 9th and will be less than $200. I would go for that one honestly. Unless you can find a good used 20CV version out there. 20CV is really an impressive steel, and I have come to prefer it over just about everything else. The 20CV was used on special edition models, the 940-2002, Going Gear and Knifeworks exclusive are the ones that come to mind. There may be a few more, but those were the ones I was looking for when I was after mine.

TXPO

So, I'm stubborn. I don't like the Bugout. I've seen all the videos and reviews, from KnifeCenter, Blade HQ and many others. It's a popular knife. It just feels cheap in the hand to me. It is what it's supposed to be, but I have bought 3 of them, and sent them all back. I just can't get over the flexy, light, cheap feeling frn scales. But, then I see the new Blade HQ exclusive in the G10 with 20 CV and I'm going down the rabbit hole one more time. I love the geometry of the knife. I love what it's supposed to be. But when I had one, I immediately put it aside for anything else: my Spyderco PM2, my Civivi Elementum, my old BM Mini-Freek, and even my BM Grizzly Ridge. I rotated every single edc knife I have and skipped the Bugout every time. I'd pick it up, fidget with it, admire its lines and the blade, and then I'd flex that handle, put it back in the drawer and go about my day. I'm hoping this time is different. Maybe it won't be. But, there are so, so many things to love about that knife. I think with stiffer scales and less cheap plastic feel, I may have found a winner. I'll know in a few days, I guess. Not sure if any of you have bought one and what your thoughts are. I lurk here all the time, but have yet to post. Anyone tried the G10 on the Bugout and have a different feel about the knife with better scales?
I get what you are saying. For me it was how thin it was. Also the blue on the thumbstuds is brighter than the scales. Tried one in a store and bought one on the exchange. Just not for me and that is okay. I completely get why people love the knife. I'll bet the G10 helps a lot for you.

The G10 scales give the knife a completely different feel. It's been in my pocket daily since it arrived. It's a keeper, for sure. Lightweight, very fidgety, amazing blade design, slicey and cuts very well. And this is my first 20cv blade. It might be overtaking s35vn as my preferred steel for everyday use. I couldn't be happier. I absolutely love the Blade HQ Exclusive. Sure, I'd change a few of the colors in the Customizer at Benchmade. But, not for the $50 price increase. I'll gladly take a Blade HQ Exclusive and an Ontario Rat 2 for the same cost as a customized color scheme.

But, long story short, if you want to like the Bugout and are willing to try it again, give the G10 a try. It gives the knife a completely different feel. You keep all the good things and eliminate the negatives.

Have you guys actually noticed the flexing scales when actually using the knife or is it just something that bugs you when you pick it up and purposefully try to bend the scales?

Because this has been my go-to knife since I got it and the complaints about the flexing scales make no sense to me. It has absolutely no impact on the function of this knife.

Back