Giving the Bugout One Last Chance with the Blade HQ g10 Exclusive

Finally got mine. Here it is next to my 531. I am liking it more than I thought I would.

JonesE

imq]

Last edited:
I have tried my best to move on from the Bugout, IE with the 940, and then a Bailout, but I can't seem to shake them. Carrying my GRY-1 version again, looks like I will go ahead and order a custom M4 version. I don't have any issues with the scales either way, but they do feel better with CF, G-10 or some type of metal.

The Bugout just seems to work better for me and what I use and EDC for, including on duty. FWIW I saw the super bugout Benchmade is releasing in 2021, CF scales, with a blue aluminum pommel, and S90 Steel. While I won't get one, don't need S90, it sure looked nice. The M390 aluminum scaled version looked good too.

TXPO

Comparing the Aluminum, g10 and carbon fiber, is there a reason it went with G10 over the others? I can’t make up my mind. Part of me wants the traditional aluminum, part of me wants the premium CF and the other part feels that the G10 might be the most comfortable, grippy of the bunch. Problem is no one local carries them in stock and I can’t feel them in hand for myself.

I have Ti scales with a "critter" pattern milled into them and they are great! The milling and bead blasting provides grip, while the warm feel of Titanium is like no other. Really happy with them.

Caved in and had to order the Black version.

I own both and I found the action on the satin is much better out of the box. The cerakote created a little drag in the action in the “bk”. With an afternoon of playing around I believe the action will be the same between my two examples. Congrats on your new knife.

JonesE

I own both and I found the action on the satin is much better out of the box. The cerakote created a little drag in the action in the “bk”. With an afternoon of playing around I believe the action will be the same between my two examples. Congrats on your new knife.

JonesE
Thanks Brother !
I agree and have found the same results on different variations vs SW & DLC/cerakote.
Sometimes the cerakote is better out of the box and sometimes it takes a little break in :thumbsup:
Regardless definitely looking forward to this one.

This exclusive out of the box was a tad gritty and now is smooth as silk :thumbsup:
Edit: On a side note although both feel stellar I prefer the solid snap and action feel on the G10 variants vs Frn .
eiQkdW4.jpg

Last edited:
Super bummed, I was gonna pick one up tonight and it was a case of “I’m just gonna do this one thing then I’ll check out” and I went back and they were sold out!

Super bummed, I was gonna pick one up tonight and it was a case of “I’m just gonna do this one thing then I’ll check out” and I went back and they were sold out!
Honestly you can’t go wrong with the standard version. S30v is a great steel and if you’re getting the black version, the standard black finish seems more durable than the black Cerakote. Save some money and pick up a nearly new one on the trade forum and throw some aftermarket Ti or Aluminum scales on for a Super Bugout!3CB6E816-BD18-4459-9AB2-582696B97777.jpeg

Last edited:
It was a smoking good deal and surprised they lasted as long as they did especially with 20cv. Like the op mentioned though keep your eye on the sales forum and you’ll probably be able to pick one up.

I have plenty of knives I could take hiking and if I ever get a Bugout with that intent it would surely be in the stock configuration, as the lack of ridgidity does not bother me and i want the ligthtest option.

I must admit the G10 scales do look good.

Mikel

I have several Benchmade's.....probably 7 or 8. One of my dream knives is a 940 Osborne in either the original green with satin blade, or the carbon fiber. I was about to buy one, but then saw the 945 come out. With every knife I've ever bought, I always like the smaller version better: mini-griptilian, mini-Freek, etc. I don't mind a big knife, but I find myself carryng knives with blades betwen 2.75" and 3.25" most often. The one exception is my Benchmade Grizzly Ridge. I bought it mainly for hunting and field dressing, but I find it in my pocket all the time. I absolutely love that knife. I'm wondering if the 945 might be another one that I prefer in a smaller package. As much as I love the look and heritage of the 940, I've never actually held one in my hand.
I've carried BM knives for the last 20 years or so. FINALLY bought a green 940. Like it the best of any I've ever owned. Get one, you owe it to yourself.

My wife surprised me with the Blade HQ Exclusive 940 for Christmas. Unbelievable knife, with the natural g10 scales and black M4 blade. I'm typically not a fan of black blades, because I hate when they scratch, but this knife looks amazing, and the action is everything I hoped it would be. After owning it for a few months, I know why the 940 is so iconic. And this is my first experience with M4 steel. Very happy with this knife. I don't think I've carried another of my knives besides the Bugout and the 940 since Christmas.

I've carried BM knives for the last 20 years or so. FINALLY bought a green 940. Like it the best of any I've ever owned. Get one, you owe it to yourself.
Have to say "ditto" to this. I am not usually a fan of metal handles, but my green aluminum handle 940 is by far my favorite, even over my g-10 and carbon fiber 940's.

Have to say "ditto" to this. I am not usually a fan of metal handles, but my green aluminum handle 940 is by far my favorite, even over my g-10 and carbon fiber 940's.
Interesting. The green aluminum scales is part of the reason that I have not purchased a 940.

I did get to handle one of their Gold series 940s a few years ago.
Damascus blade and titanium scales. I was amazed by that knife. I can see why the series is so popular.

Back