Giving Wearables A Try

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
Well Happy Father's Day to all you dads and dad-like figures.

My wife and daughter purchased me a Leatherman Tread for Father's Day...well not exactly. A Tread is a bit out of the pricepoint I expect them to spend on me:D What they did get me was a..lets call it an homage of the Tread for about 60 bucks.

Now I am a LM guy through and through, but I don't feel too bad testing the waters with this one. I figure that if i wear it everyday, use it once every coulple of weeks, and the screws don't back out to the point it falls apart I'll upgrade to the Tread. I'm vwry much one of those guys that is always prepared for life's hiccups and a cool wearable tool thay can so a small job in a pinch speaks to me even if its a very niche item. I'm not really ready to drop top dollar on it, but if i find it to be useful LM will be getting my money as usual.

I haven't really used it for much today, but I did have to take two links out to tighten it to my liking. I don't like loose bands on my wrist. I elected to axe the two larger square bits as the squares i run into tend to be smaller. I only lost a square wrench and 10mm wrench as well. Both pretty much useless to me anyway. That leaves me with multiple screw drivers, some various wrench holes, a coulpe of small square bits, a few hex bits, and a link with a SIM pick, line cutter, and glass breaker. Super sneaky cap lifter lives on the bottom of the clasp.

So pros and cons:

Pros:
It's really cool. They got me one in black and im sure it will scuff up but look pretty badass with some wear.
The tools left on the links seem pretry useful.
The bracelet feels pretty substantial and easily modified.

Cons:
It's pretty heavy, but I'm getting used to it.
It's an arm hair puller for sure:D
It's kinda tough to easily pop off when in need a it's certainly not fast.
Also, it's not a real Leatherman. I do appreciate the pride of ownership of good quality.

However, I look at these wearables more as jewelry that can be pressed into functuon rather than a replacement to your edc tool. How many times do people uae their keys to open a box or get a butter knife from the kitchen to pry off a remote control cover? In these few and far between scenarios, i can see a wearable being worth having on hand...er, wrist;)

For most, $180 is a little steep for a steel bike chain style bracelet. However, knock off debate aside, at $60ish I feel like it's worth trying out.

Anyone else have any more thoughts on the Tread and tools that borroww from the design?

I’ve been wearing a tread for some time now. I have found it to be more useful than I originally expected. I find myself using the Phillips screwdriver fairly often along with a couple of the hex bits. Has saved me a few trips to the tool box. Hope you find it useful too.

Knock off tread lost a screw today at some point. We went bowling and afterwards I shot my slingshot a bit. I noticed the floppy link while washing some dishes.

Luckily i had two spare screws from renoving the other links. I used some Lock Tite on the most susceptible screws and will see how it holds up.

So far, I've opened a beer with it and noticed it's a heavy bugger on my arm otherwise. Still, I'm going to give it a month's trial.

Knock off tread lost a screw today at some point. We went bowling and afterwards I shot my slingshot a bit. I noticed the floppy link while washing some dishes.

Luckily i had two spare screws from renoving the other links. I used some Lock Tite on the most susceptible screws and will see how it holds up.

So far, I've opened a beer with it and noticed it's a heavy bugger on my arm otherwise. Still, I'm going to give it a month's trial.
I just upgraded to a new steel watch that is much heavier than the Ti one I've worn for years. I used to wear steel and forgot how it's a nice reassuring feel on my wrist. You'll come to like it. I think your bracelet will come to be a totem, representing your family's love as well as your self-image as a handy, prepared person who likes to tinker and do things himself. Those who dont recognize the bracelet as a multi tool will think it's modern art, those who do will smile with the knowledge.

A nice gift!

Zieg

I just upgraded to a new steel watch that is much heavier than the Ti one I've worn for years. I used to wear steel and forgot how it's a nice reassuring feel on my wrist. You'll come to like it. I think your bracelet will come to be a totem, representing your family's love as well as your self-image as a handy, prepared person who likes to tinker and do things himself. Those who dont recognize the bracelet as a multi tool will think it's modern art, those who do will smile with the knowledge.

A nice gift!

Zieg

You're absolutely right:)

Every year my wife and daughter get a little something I can carry or something that is handy and useful.

So far I'm really enjoying the aethethics of the bracelet in the very least.

Back