Glass cutting board! WHY??!!

Liquidm1980, you raised this thread up from the dead. I do this sometimes also, but only if I feel I have something of value to add to the thread, or to make it more complete, which might make it again worthy of the attention of those who may be subscribed to it, or future readers who may find it through Google or other searches. Not if I just have a cunningly witty and clever comment. Kind of a courtesy thing.

Just some food for the BWAAAIIINS.

I'm glad to see that folks here are aware of the bacteria-collecting properties of plastic boards. Those things give me the heebie jeebies. I used to work at a shelter for homeless and at-risk youths and there were a couple of nasty stained-ass plastic boards there that had everything from fresh fruit to raw meat cut on them, and they had the bad auras of a desecrated Native burial ground. I can still smell them in my mind

You know despite this thread (and despite owning a bamboo cutting board), I still use a plastic cutting board. I am counting on my immune system to save me. Or maybe I'm trying giving it a workout. Six of one, half a dozen of t'other, I guess. Either way, I only have myself to take care of... but it's disappointing to hear the state of the cutting boards in the shelter. It suggests the administration didn't care about the health of their guests.

You know despite this thread (and despite owning a bamboo cutting board), I still use a plastic cutting board. I am counting on my immune system to save me. Or maybe I'm trying giving it a workout. Six of one, half a dozen of t'other, I guess. Either way, I only have myself to take care of... but it's disappointing to hear the state of the cutting boards in the shelter. It suggests the administration didn't care about the health of their guests.
They cared plenty, I just think people don't realize that cleaning those things properly requires a pressure washer or a flamethrower.

Well we still have our glass cutting board but no one cuts on it as it was terrible to all who used it but it is pretty so it is a decorative piece on the counter usually with something sitting on it. We do have 2 relatively new plastic cutting boards and I am holding off on buying a good wood board until these are used up to the point they need replacement. I also hesitate as our cheap wood cutting board she put in the dishwasher and after about 2 months it was coming apart and trashed.

Not everything belongs in the dishwasher. Wood cutting boards kill bacteria to a point.

My father used his cutting board for years without washing it. Quite the opposite he would spread and rub the meat juice into it.

Best thing to do is a hot water rinse towel dry then oil it. Wood is best, but at the risk of repeating myself. I often use a paper plate for a quick veggie dice for my omelette.

Good info in this link about wood cutting boards and butcher blocks.

https://butcherblockco.com/butcher-...BVx2iyos6FNj_EcJvf3LS9fySXIiJSGhoCUcYQAvD_BwE

if using plastic buy several in different colors for specific tasks to avoid cross contamination.

Last edited:
We have a nice big glass cutting board that sits between the eyes on our electric stove top. However, I don't use it as a cutting surface.

I have some really nice knives that only see an end-grain Boos butcher-block or a soft hinoki-wood cutting board. I love the hinoki boards because they are so lightweight, making them easy to hand wash in the sink after use, and then towel dry before storage. Occasional treatments with mineral oil or a beeswax-mineral oil combo. I have several of them.

I also have some really cheap knives for when I need to cut something that is already on a hard surface, like a dinner plate. These have a relatively soft steel that dulls quickly and sharpens back up just as quickly. They respond well to a simple honing steel, and get back to razor sharp on an Arkansas stone and a leather strop. If used on a wooden board, those cheap knives keep an edge well.

So I recently visited my parents for a few days and during that time I decided to sharpen most of their kitchen knives because they were all butter knife dull. I got them mirror finish, hair popping sharp and over the next day or two both my parents ended up cutting themselves twice each because they weren't use to the sharpness.
But towards the end of my trip I noticed that the knives I had just sharpened were back to having rolled and dinged edges and were completely dull again!! I was shocked and a little upset that my hours of work went down the drain so quickly.

During lunch I figured out why. They were using a glass cutting board!!
Who in their right mind would manufacture a glass cutting board!?? Who in their right mind would buy and use a glass cutting board!? I don't get it...what's the point??

They should be cutting themselves Less often when the knives are sharper. Perhaps their cutting technique is not the best?

My mom swears by these atrocious paring-size dollar-each serrated knives she purchased 25 years ago, she uses them to cut absolutely everything. My Dad uses some nonsense knife bought at a grocery store two decades ago for cutting meat, that knife is almost surely dull. When cutting onions or tomatoes with the serrated trash knives, my mom will quite literally stick her vegetable-holding fingertips out toward the knife edge. She's one of those people who generally doesn't listen to logic nor would she try to improve when things are good enough as-is, she told me she's never cut herself because she "Always goes slowly". My folks also complain that cooking takes a long time and it is "a commitment", despite watching me speed-murder an onion with a sharpened free plain-stainless santoku knife push cutting next to a clawed hand with my knuckle as a blade guide.

Who in their right mind would manufacture a glass cutting board!?? Who in their right mind would buy and use a glass cutting board!? I don't get it...what's the point??

Forgive them for they do not know what they have done. :thumbsdown:

Various hardwood boards are beautiful to look at, mitigate bacterial growth, and are easy to maintain. We used Sani-Tuff rubber cutting boards in all of the restaurant kitchens I worked in for over 30 years. Their use started when municipalities like NYC banned wooden prep surfaces, but quickly became adopted as an industry standard because they are easy on blades, easy to sanitize, and are self-healing with heavy use.

It is curious to wonder about the history of the glass cutting board its origins and how it came to be.

Back