Glock 78 handle properties of different colors .

The Glock Feldmesser/Fieldknife 78 and 81 is available in different colors.Olive green, desert tan, black.

My question is, is there any difference in properties between these handles due to their color differences.
In impact resistance , durability etc.
Probably minor I suspect.
But maybe someone has knowledge on this.

I've been using black ones for years and then acquired a tan one and haven't noticed any difference in performance.

Thank you for your response TennToadsticker.
Seems what I thought.
One guy I know suggested that mechanical properties might change a bit when adding colors.
That would be minor I would say.
But I'm not knowledgeable on this subject.

I've been using black ones for years and then acquired a tan one and haven't noticed any difference in performance.

Any reason you got a desert tan version,after several black ones.

The tan one seems a choice for people who want an easy recognisable one in the woods, where the green or black are harder to see.
I do like the black version best though.

Glock field knives are awesome, I got a tan 81 a year or two ago and love it.

They are extremely tough as well.And light weight (great combo :thumbup:).
That knife destruction test by Noss ,the blade was already tough as hell, but he just didn't broke that handle.
It took it all the sledgehammer gave.

And some complain on sharpening the Glock..
I just use a ceramic stick and it sharpens up easily.

Yea they are like 55 hrc so sharpening shouldn't be an issue, I use a belt sander on mine and it gets shaving sharp in a couple passes. I watched the noss test of the field knife and was impressed as well, for 30 bucks you can't go wrong.

Exactly.
55 hrc is not that hard.
Some make it convex, others scandi.
But I stick to how it is and it sharpens up fine.
The price is nice too.
Kind of a Mora among the combat knives.

Sorry for delayed response, noviomagus. Bought tan because black was sold out. Also i do find it is more visible except in the fall.

Hi TennToadsticker,
yes , the desert tan is sometimes chosen for the visibility when dropping it.
Something as you experienced is a little less in the autumn with all the yellowish leaves :).
I have been reading on the m4carbine forum, and there were post about 90 lbs clear pellets being usend and 10 lbs color.
So 10% of colour on 90 % of clear pellets.
And one on defensivecarry forum was talking about color making the polymer a little less strong where black was strongest,but this was about their guns:

Polymer Colors = Frame Weakness
A Glock Rep. came to my Police Department yesterday and met with me regarding our duty issued weapons. Cool guy, down to earth fella. After about a hour of back in forth about what our PD should do with our out dated 22's, he was about to leave so I asked. Whats up with the new Flat Dark Earth Glocks and where can I get one for personal use. He tells me something that had me scratching my head, he told me that when color gets mixed into the polymer it actually weakens the frame of the pistol. Some of you guys probably already knew that but I was like ........wwwwhhhhattttt? According to him though, unless you shoot about 30,000 rounds or something crazy you shouldn't worry about it, also said that black was the strongest frame they had......which led me into my next question.....isn't black a color?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/168981-polymer-colors-frame-weakness.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?2331-Do-green-glocks-and-tan-glocks-exist

Back