Glueing Neoprene to Steel

Does any one knows if I can get neoprene cheaper than $6 per handle at Texas Knife Supplies. McMaster sells a lot of different kind of neoprene much cheaper. I just don't know which is a right one for knifes.

Dunno. I got it from Texas Knife on a whim. I am more than thrilled so far with how grippy this stuff is....feels like a virbram boot sole....it feels tackier when wet.....should make for a great camping knife where hands are often wet or muddy. Ill post pics in an hour or so when I get home.

What do you think about following?
McMaster Item# 8630K115
Neoprene Spring Rubber Sheet 3/8" Thickness, 6" X 6", 70A Durometer
In stock at $5.24 Each

Description says: Neoprene blended with elastomeric fillers produces a hard, resilient material that bends but resists breaking.

and

Item# 9013K843
Ultra-Strength Neoprene Rubber 3/8" Thick, 6" X 6", 70A Durometer
In stock at $10.68 Each

I have tried gluing #50 1/2" thick to a steel plate as a cushion block with continuous impacts, and what I finally
wound up using was a good quality contact cement, as you must coat each surface, let dry to the touch, then
under some pressure put them together. The results were amazing ans it held up under many thousands of impacts
and did not separate or slide and when I wanted to remove the neoprene it was quite hard to separate. I saw your
entry and I thought I would put in my 2 cents. Good luck with those nice looking knives.

Welcome to Shop Talk.
Thanks for the info, but this is a 12 year old discussion. Please look at the date of posts you pull up.

At 89 years old, we will cut you some slack. :D
Fill out your profile with some info. I am sure you have had an interesting life.

I know this is an answer to an old shop talk, but if it is still shown then it can still help someone out there. By the way how can I
update my profile?

click on your user name in the upper right side of the page, it'll bring up your profile. you can edit from there.

Neoprene for handle ...........is it that same kind of neoprene we wear on fishing guys ??

Neoprene will stretch and that's why it's used by Scuba guys .For the same reason it's now used as a fashion clothing material !
Back in my earliest days I learned that to glue or paint a smoothed polished material ALWAYS rough it to provide some "tooth " for the glue or paint to grip.
My rubber handled knives like my Fallkniven S-1 have the handle fitting tightly slid on and locked in place with a grommet there for lanyard use.

I don t remember when I put this rubber handle two or three years ago , but I remember that I do a lot of work with this Parang on my fishing trip .... Glued with that universally yellow glue for leather ...rubber . I use even rubber pins..... :D no sign of failure so far .
1qNQCl2.jpg

80GQRx0.jpg

Os4ZPih.jpg

Since we are reviving this old dog:
I use a black epoxy made for bonding rubber. Flexible epoxies, like G-flex ( dyed black), also work. I use black Micarta pins with glue through the scales as well.

Last edited:
Back