Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

This balisong is pretty big.

8WN7zxA.jpg

Happy to take one! :) They don't look like it in my shot, but both tips are in line with the end of the ruler.

vNDRQFu.jpg

I figured since I was here I'd also compare it to all of my other big folders + two common reference knives. I tried to shoot straight down from above for a true comparison, but it looks like my angle was off a bit.

WzUa7Ek.jpg

Top to bottom, that's: Emerson Super Commander, Benchmade Adamas, Microtech Socom Elite, Spyderco Military, ZT 0462TAN, Benchmade Griptilian, Benchmade 940-1. :)

Thanks man! This should push me over the edge :)

ChazzyP ChazzyP , when you started this thread 18 months ago I wasn't into big knives and I wouldn't have described myself as a collector per se. I'm pretty ruthless about paring down (no pun intended) my EDC knives -- but with big knives that I can't carry everywhere I'd like, nor every day, the pressure is off. I love collecting big folders, and it's all thanks to you. Thank you! :thumbsup:

My stable of giant folders didn't include an obnoxiously large, compulsively flickable tactical folder, and I don't own any knives in CPM-M4 . . . so enter the Benchmade 810 Contego. :D

anTQHZE.jpg

Here's an incomplete family photo (not shown: Cold Steel Ti Lite 6, Cold Steel Vaquero Voyager XL, Spyderco Pacific Salt), arranged from top to bottom by descending OAL:

ZzjTJBt.jpg

ZT0452tiblu - a pocket monster!

It's funny how much larger the 0452 looks than the 0462, despite having the same amount of cutting edge (albeit on a longer blade per AKTI measurements) -- it's like a pocket cavalry saber!

Thanks for reviving things over here, Dadpool Dadpool . I haven't posted myself for quite some time as I'd been on a bit of a knife-buying hiatus from last June until pretty recently and I'd put up all my big 'uns previously. I checked in from time to time, but hadn't been here this month to see the new posts.

Anyway, I've sold more than a few since and have picked up some larges this year. Here's one I've wanted since I bought the full-size Crooked River my son's birthday soon after release. It was a spur of the moment buy as the price was too good to pass up on an LNIB on the Exchange. After using it for a while I went from "didn't mind the orange backspacer so much" to hating it, so I did a bit of research, finding a tip from @Keyman , and ordered and installed stand-offs. The knife went from liking it a lot to lovin' it in a heartbeat. :D

PAWXqmF.jpg

VgHZV1G.jpg

aNsw2X3.jpg

So I like big folders but I realized, while figuring out what knife to photograph a few days ago, that the only one I had that was actually a four-inch knife was the Paragon Phoenix. So here's a picture of it, with a 110 for scale.

JAxSb6k.jpg

Of course, that was the state of my collection a few days ago. Then the Fed Ex driver showed up yesterday...

mDFPq5K.jpg

I'm going to carry it at work this week (in the hammer pocket of my overalls, where I usually carry a 3lb engineer's hammer), just so I can honestly say "yep, that's a pocket knife". :cool:

IMG_3611.JPG Well an hour later ive made it through the entire thread already! I just Couldn't help myself and have seen many sweet large folders. I have some new ones on my list now. Heres my PJ millie ive been carrying since I left the house today running errands and such. Its a LNIB 2007 model i picked up several months ago to replace the one i sold to a buddy. The millie is so pocket friendly and made me realize a large folder doesnt have to be a pocket brick.

Last edited:
Here's a few shots of my latest big boy, taken on a working Saturday at the job-site shortly after picking it up at my local PO. The Shirogorov Tabargan 100NS has been out of production for 6 or 7 years and features the sliding bar lock. This one is very old school and is representative of their baseline version of that model with 2D grippy G10 scales, has open-back construction, and its 3.875" 440C blade is coarse-for-Shiro stonewash. I had a more upscale version that I posted previously here that featured blue-anodized Ti liners and clip, an M390 blade, and custom 3D marbled CF scales. I sold that knife to a member here who has since sold it, bought the one pictured, bought another 100NS in Vanax35 and CF, and sold me this G10 one.

I just put a fresh edge on this baby, though I may refine it a bit further, and it's become a user straight away.

eYegLGF.jpg

I8UNswp.jpg

ZZmiCav.jpg

I was gonna wait until I received this one before posting any pics, but it's been finished for several days and the money transfer went through so it's officially mine. I expect it may arrive by the end of next week. Here's a teaser pic of my new 4.375"-bladed beauty from the other side of the planet.

PRj4nK5.jpg

Back