Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

Here ya go, Dadpool Dadpool . I tried to shoot these from directly above to take photo perspective out of the equation as it always makes the front knife look way bigger. The Millie is way thinner, but broader of handle while the Raven is narrow, but thick. Normally narrow doesn't cut it for me as I can't close the last two fingers on either hand, but the curved back and thickness of the Raven's grip lets it nestle right in. One of the things I love about my Millies is the way the fit my hand, either back or choked up. One of the really nice features of the Cheburkov is that with my index finger in the lockbar choil my thumb lays perfectly on the jimped blade ramp. No stretching required. :cool: Both knives are great, though.

uJsJuw5.jpg

cyAomcY.jpg

Note that the C-Tek on the Raven is a much brighter red in better light. The blade similarity with the long straight spines of the two knives is striking.

Thanks, Ray. Your covetousness is duly noted (and appreciated :rolleyes:). I have to say that all the wait time heightened my expectations for the knife and only for a moment when the tracking showed it was actually on-Cape this morning did I waver and think for just a moment, "What if I'm disappointed?" That was only transitory and I picked it up at my PO, drove it home unopened, and slowly unpacked it with my wife observing. I got through all the considerable packing, slowly opened the box, and J and I both spoke your observation--WOW! It's big, substantial, hefty, but also delicate, beautiful, detailed yet understated, and looks like one helluva cutting machine. Everything I'd hoped it would be and more. :D

Steve

Edit: Nothing wrong with another pic, right?

Yad0hyx.jpg
Very Nice!

The blade similarity with the long straight spines of the two knives is striking.

Thanks! I agree, the blade similarity is striking. I love how the Raven packs all that extra blade into a handle about the same size as the Millie's.

Thanks! I agree, the blade similarity is striking. I love how the Raven packs all that extra blade into a handle about the same size as the Millie's.
I've noted in the past that one could fit at least another quarter-inch of blade into the Millie's handle and there would still be plenty of clearance even to the newer enlarged lanyard tube. On the other hand, having "too much" handle has never bothered me--the more to hang onto the better, as far as I'm concerned--and it's not like the knife is lacking anything in the blade-length department either.

As far as the Raven goes, I do like how Cheburkov brings the blade within an nth of being able to touch it at the butt of the handle. Like another well-known Russian maker, it's a design feature that's just plain cool. :):cool:

Last edited:
I carried this 'Bad Boy' on a day-hike with my very enthusiastic best boy... (see avatar)

View attachment 1143887

I didn't use it, but it was nice to have at my side... I felt like a modern 'Dan'l Boone'
That's sweet...looks like it locks up like a fixed blade...and the blade to handle ratio is impressive...

I got the Native Chief a couple days ago. Love the tip up. Bought a deep carry clip for it. It is the Military killer IMO.

So far, even though I’ve only had it for a few hours, there’s nothing about the knife that I don’t like. I can say without any doubt that the Native Chief will be my most carried Spyderco and I really like the Military. I’ll patiently wait for a different color G10 to show up. A burnt orange Native Chief would be a must have.

Damn, the Shirogorov 111 is my limit on big folders, which I happen to like and carry. Just picked up a Native Chief and it's a sweet blade. I've got a couple more Military's, but this all I've got ;)

OPe4iRm.jpg

Nice! Man ive been eyeing that native chief ever since i heard about it. I had a native 5 and liked how it wasnt wide in the pocket at all. Love Spydercos and This looks like a full size version of it. Im wondering what your impressions are if you dont mind. From what ive seen and read about it so far its probably gonna end up in my pocket also.

Back