Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

Thread needs a Sunfish

fZLQYAd.jpg

Without any visual context in your pics, Dadpool Dadpool , I had to go to the MKT website for specs and a look at their in-hand vid. Yep, at 8.3 oz that's a big boy for sure. :eek:

Without any visual context in your pics, Dadpool Dadpool , I had to go to the MKT website for specs and a look at their in-hand vid. Yep, at 8.3 oz that's a big boy for sure. :eek:

I've kind of gotten used to carrying half-pound knives, even in shorts -- although I do laugh at the contrast whenever I carry my Bugout. :D

Here's a quick and dirty size comparison with two knives that share several attributes with the G, the Recon 1 and Adamas:

vNpcIg3.jpg

I picked up a discontinued Spyderco Szabo, and this monster is like nothing else in my collection. Its 4.6" blade makes my Super Commander look averaged-sized. :D

ISCPmtQ.jpg

Here's a Griptilian for scale -- coated blades always look smaller/shorter than they are!

jqE2xTI.jpg

I'm a big lover of the Military blade shape. PM2 and 3's just never satisfied me, but I felt there was too much handle there to really EDC it (always keep a 52100 millie in my backpack though).

So I did this...

https://imgur.com/a/VTlxX4w

Takes about 25% of the handle mass out and almost and inch off the end. Ends up being F95 sized.

Here's a comparison

https://imgur.com/a/OGbaaoO

I'm a big lover of the Military blade shape. PM2 and 3's just never satisfied me, but I felt there was too much handle there to really EDC it (always keep a 52100 millie in my backpack though).

So I did this...

https://imgur.com/a/VTlxX4w

Takes about 25% of the handle mass out and almost and inch off the end. Ends up being F95 sized.

Here's a comparison

https://imgur.com/a/OGbaaoO

Im Diggin it. Who makes the scales? Looks good and i like the idea of slimmin the handle down. Love the silver twill also.

Well it’s not in my hand yet but I just made a deal on a Spyderco Tatanka. Coming in with a blade length of 5”+ I’m pretty pumped about it. Pics will follow when it arrives.

I picked up a discontinued Spyderco Szabo, and this monster is like nothing else in my collection. Its 4.6" blade makes my Super Commander look averaged-sized. :D

ISCPmtQ.jpg

I am glad I got one as well before they vanished, but it really needs some kind of mod for the lock, it's really clunky to use. It would be pretty cool if they made a smaller PM2 or Military Version of it, basically just put maybe a 3.75 - 4 inch Szabo Scimitar Blade into a Milli or PM2 Frame.

I am glad I got one as well before they vanished, but it really needs some kind of mod for the lock, it's really clunky to use. It would be pretty cool if they made a smaller PM2 or Military Version of it, basically just put maybe a 3.75 - 4 inch Szabo Scimitar Blade into a Milli or PM2 Frame.

I don't mind the lock, but it's definitely not in the "fun comp lock" category (like, say, a PM2). I just treat it like a stiff backlock.

Seeing the Szabo's weird blade in another handle would be cool.

Well I got it in !
I’ve really liked my K2 since I got it and loved it since I started using it. It is my EDC/work knife and I don’t want to part with it.
My new beast arrived, and while it’s impressive in its own right it just doesn’t do it for me. I have very large hands but there is too much length in the handle to hold comfortably. If they would have ditched the finger choil(which IMO is a waste of real estate on this knife) and lose about an inch on the handle it would be near perfection.
Oh well maybe it’ll grow on me.
067044CF-FC9B-4446-8052-7569CEF3403A.jpeg

My new beast arrived, and while it’s impressive in its own right it just doesn’t do it for me. I have very large hands but there is too much length in the handle to hold comfortably. If they would have ditched the finger choil(which IMO is a waste of real estate on this knife) and lose about an inch on the handle it would be near perfection.
Oh well maybe it’ll grow on me.

I'd love to handle a Tatanka at some point, but it does seem large enough to fall into the megafolder category -- and as much as I enjoy those, they just aren't practical for me to carry. The closest I can comfortably push it is the Szabo (5.65" handle, 10.25" OAL), which is right around an inch shorter than the Tatanka.

Back