Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

A couple Recon 1, newer style flat ground spearpoint in s35vn and dlc coated along with the older hollow ground clip point version in aus8 w bLack teflon coating. I do wish they would've stuck with the hollow grind but thats personal preference so I have my eye out for the XHP hollow version.

Whatever the flavor, the Recon 1 is one of those knives that punches above its price point. I love the combo of thick slabs of linerless G10, the Tri-Ad lock, and a meaty prybar of a blade (at least in tanto, my favorite version) -- all weighing less than expected. :thumbsup:

One of the biggest folders I own.
E4qEZ6D.jpg

I've been enjoying how my 4.5"-bladed Spyerdco Szabo carries, so I decided to continue exploring the waters between 4" (large but reasonable to EDC) and "true" megafolder territory (like my CS Voyager XL, which basically needs its own pocket) with the Cold Steel Spartan. :D

4.5" blade, 6" handle, wave-style opener, full aluminum liners, incredibly comfortable -- and grip-retaining -- handle, and CS has upped their fit and finish game with an actual sharpening choil (nicely executed, too). Next to my Keen for scale:

shDG13k.jpg

Nine ounces of thunder isn't subtle, but it feels great in hand and locks up like a shotgun being racked. :eek: Of the larger blades in my collection, it's kind of like a cross between the Szabo and the Medford Praetorian.

r8ws0ar.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_6625.jpg IMG_6631.jpg Bestech ascot 3.9" of D2 with layered CF and G10 contoured scales and Ti pivot collars on caged bearings. Great action and pretty thin BTE too surprisingly considering the bLade stock thickness is beefy at .146. The handle material is pretty interesting and was the draw for me. 4.39oz aint bad either.

Bestech ascot 3.9" of D2 with layered CF and G10 contoured scales and Ti pivot collars on caged bearings. Great action and pretty thin BTE too surprisingly considering the bLade stock thickness is beefy at .146. The handle material is pretty interesting and was the draw for me. 4.39oz aint bad either.

That looks great! I bet the contoured handles are super comfy, too. :thumbsup:

I couldn't resist the allure of the Cold Steel Black Talon II, especially at a good price. :D

mXPsJB5.jpg

I'm blown away by how well thought-out this design is; it's a great Thompson/Demko collaboration. It's boat-anchor wide, but the handle is thin (yet perfectly contoured to remain comfortable) and it only weighs 4.7 oz. There isn't a wasted millimeter in the handle, either -- the blade actually extends past the butt as it opens/closes.

And it's just plain wicked. This is a "folding bad day," no doubt about it. :eek:

I need to get a photo of the tip-past-the-handle thing -- and heck, my whole collection of big folders while I'm at it -- but it's too late here to get decent light. Maybe tomorrow!

I couldn't resist the allure of the Cold Steel Black Talon II, especially at a good price. :D

mXPsJB5.jpg

I'm blown away by how well thought-out this design is; it's a great Thompson/Demko collaboration. It's boat-anchor wide, but the handle is thin (yet perfectly contoured to remain comfortable) and it only weighs 4.7 oz. There isn't a wasted millimeter in the handle, either -- the blade actually extends past the butt as it opens/closes.

And it's just plain wicked. This is a "folding bad day," no doubt about it. :eek:

I need to get a photo of the tip-past-the-handle thing -- and heck, my whole collection of big folders while I'm at it -- but it's too late here to get decent light. Maybe tomorrow!
My black talon 2 bit me first day when I closed it and my finger was at the base. Its so hard to explain that it completely sits in there, but goes past when closing.
9d7cd0a2d0535d9a32e5cc03c7e94bbf.jpg

My black talon 2 bit me first day when I closed it and my finger was at the base. Its so hard to explain that it completely sits in there, but goes past when closing.

Yikes! Perfect photo for illustrating this aspect of the BTII. I've never owned another knife that does this, it's pretty wild.

I wanted to do a full collection shot of my large folders -- the collection this thread built. :D I couldn't fit them all into a reasonable space on my desk, so I split them up.

Here are the megafolders, 4.5"+ blades:

5rGOTLl.jpg

(CS Ti-Lite VI, CS Voyager XL Vaquero, CS Spartan, Spyderco Szabo)

And here are the others. Technically the bottom 3 fall about 1/8" short of the original size restriction for this thread, but they're close (and I definitely think of them as large folders).

Qj9XmNk.jpg

(CS Black Talon II, Emerson Super Commander, Spyderco Military, Spyderco Police, CS Recon 1, Microtech Socom Elite, Medford Praetorian G, ZT 0462TAN, Benchmade Adamas)

I love this thread, I love big knives, I love BF. Peace. :D :thumbsup:

mXPsJB5.jpg

I love this knife. I had a plain edge awhile back and recently got the itch for a fully SE but nobody had the XHP anymore so I got something else. Hell of a knife.

Back