Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

Yep, I have a soft spot for the big 'uns too! I cant post pics yet ( I'm new here ), but I can tell you what I've got currently that fits the criteria. Cold Steel 4Max, Italian 62RN type, positively beastly. Then there's my 2 Steel Will Plague Doctors, one green G10, one black G10, both with black stonewashed, beefy near 4" blades that look like they would crush knives costing 3x as much. These brutes weigh in nearly as much as the 4Max, cost a quarter as much! Quality is really nice too! I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my CRKT fossil 5470. This bruiser is all of 4" in wickedly sharp blade and is rather heavy and unapologetic in its obviously brutal potential for organic matter separating. I am looking to get the newer model Fossil, 5473, with the clip point, veff serrations. That knife is flat out murderous looking, and doesn't try to hide it. They may not be made of super steels or cost $500, but I know if someone pulled one on me, with evil intentions, I would likely have a bowel evacuating experience, for sure. And if you've got one of these bad boys in your pocket when in a sketchy locale, you don't feel like you're unprepared, that's for sure. I hope to never have to use one, but if I did, I'd sure have a serious advantage, and plus, I just like how they look and to handle them! I know you can relate to that, right? PS...I like my smaller knives too...

Here's the largest folder I currently have - For scale, the top knife is a BK6 Patrol Machete. BL - 14" / OAL - 19", and the bottom knife is a BK9 - BL - 9" / OAL - 14.75"

bBlqe_JfmGBoPFiRZqzBr65ID3_sGTrdQ8eN6EJEnqETVLWaZOZLwImLBLxz0cTzRg2-Q-e-VGPBH0EORHjke7kGYNlMeeGZIxUt_5oR9Zw9MMRkEi84v7nJxsWjtPY4eYcv4USr2tsE9oEqVEyzCP87dwW2a8AsVuRWBmep9IAQNKlRLaNgH5POR0l_7c-O40JCQAl2PAiBXNosPr740ccoV0J8zl4YZ6fLsbZKzfLHRZlILahwNGftyQfsm2Yt71121Bg0xUuUAND2oETruoS5kdr9ZxeswdBC6SHVLEtxQfNX9lHWlcWzjXNuk83sp8_hs7DvQjI4iNoaa12eTCOtFR0C_s0vEmYbh63X82tHyWDq5joiTAHllHhBRFJM8JnzEEpLblvbiX5eSA4A89OsIz1LGQp0koPeWkjxj38UGlvRg2lFQ5AVbMPShaYGp1wLth-sX91IOOq-MccC7iwuifaRgBWkkhe5N2R0DOi0nt27YlUSesShI7vkPeRr5YNcFBTRCilk-YKHAfTGV1mNG_sM39DWVTKe4hdR25bYyypHEVuhQk5P_1sPGwOGe_TYbmNVMygNB-rkFqGwKFIkbO8nxyC4XDJQ_fA-asSRRjSrdIp_1UwvLKpwnfjzE0glFgOwoMaERSeHPoMVh3km9dmU4YI=w1024-h470-no

Wow, that's a big one! Technically, my biggest folder is my Cold Steel Hold Out 1, 13 1/4" overall length with its 6" xhp blade folded out of its green G10 handle. There's something cool about big folders, for sure!

Wow, that's a big one! Technically, my biggest folder is my Cold Steel Hold Out 1, 13 1/4" overall length with its 6" xhp blade folded out of its green G10 handle. There's something cool about big folders, for sure!

Use postimages.org and copy the code and paste it in your comment.

The Frenzy is my fourth CS megafolder, and my most pocketable yet. (The others are the Voyager XL Vaquero, Ti-Lite VI, and Spartan.)

Sure, it's still big: 13.25" OAL, 5.5" blade, 6.75" handle. But the handle is thinner than my Griptilian's, and it only weighs 5.6 oz -- about the same as many of my EDC knives. Plus, because that weight is distributed over a larger area it feels lighter than 5.6 oz.

It's not notably wide, either; my average Spyderco, including the PM2 pictured below, is wider at its widest point when closed than the Frenzy. All that combines to create a titanic knife that's currently sitting unnoticed in my shorts pocket. :D

Ec62i43.jpg

I'm a big fan of jumbo Cold Steel knives, even the ones I find impractical -- but the Frenzy sits solidly on the practical side of the "practical / novelty" line for me. I genuinely wasn't expecting that!

One of the YouTube reviews of the Frenzy that I watched mentioned that if you've been considering a Ti-Lite VI, don't handle a Frenzy -- because you will want the Frenzy instead. They're different animals, and price points, but I completely agree. :thumbsup:

The Frenzy is my fourth CS megafolder, and my most pocketable yet. (The others are the Voyager XL Vaquero, Ti-Lite VI, and Spartan.)

Sure, it's still big: 13.25" OAL, 5.5" blade, 6.75" handle. But the handle is thinner than my Griptilian's, and it only weighs 5.6 oz -- about the same as many of my EDC knives. Plus, because that weight is distributed over a larger area it feels lighter than 5.6 oz.

It's not notably wide, either; my average Spyderco, including the PM2 pictured below, is wider at its widest point when closed than the Frenzy. All that combines to create a titanic knife that's currently sitting unnoticed in my shorts pocket. :D

Ec62i43.jpg

I'm a big fan of jumbo Cold Steel knives, even the ones I find impractical -- but the Frenzy sits solidly on the practical side of the "practical / novelty" line for me. I genuinely wasn't expecting that!

One of the YouTube reviews of the Frenzy that I watched mentioned that if you've been considering a Ti-Lite VI, don't handle a Frenzy -- because you will want the Frenzy instead. They're different animals, and price points, but I completely agree. :thumbsup:
Wow Dadpool Dadpool , that Frenzy is very cool! That red PM2 is just like the one I got about a month ago from DLT ! My 1st M390 steel blade. Currently I have Rajah2, Thompson Voyager signture edition along with the Holdout 1for my XL folders. The Frenzy looks and sounds like its easier to carry, while still offering that XL flavor. I think you helped me decide to put it back on my radar before they're discontinued or something. Who knows where knife laws are headed in our country, look at England. Best to stock up on some of the "controversial" models before they yank em! Thanks for sharing....We think alike I've a feeling....

Currently have Rajah2, Thompson Voyager signture edition along with the Holdout 1for my XL folders.

The Hold Out I, ideally in plain edge, is on my short list. :) It looks similar to the Frenzy, but also like it comes at "long blade, thin handle" from a different angle. Do you like yours?

The Hold Out I, ideally in plain edge, is on my short list. :) It looks similar to the Frenzy, but also like it comes at "long blade, thin handle" from a different angle. Do you like yours?
You bet I do! Dadpool Dadpool , I was lucky to get a plain edge, cts xhp from Knifeworks in April. It is all I hoped it would be. Long and thin, able to deploy by forcefully snapping it to defeat the detent, or use thumb stud. Not the easiest to close though, that tri-ad lock bar is a stiff mama jamma! I left it half open overnight, helped a little. Who cares, it opens fast. Green G10, blk blade. I think they still have a tan/ brown handled, plain edge Holdout 1 on their website, getting hard to find that model since being discontinued. I ordered a Maxpedition SES sheath from BladesHQ, turns out to be perfect for the Holdout 1, to put on belt or whatever. But it can def be carried in pocket if desired. Not as easily as Frenzy though, I'm sure.

Last edited:
You bet I do! Dadpool Dadpool , I was lucky to get a plain edge, cts xhp from Knifeworks in April. It is all I hoped it would be. Long and thin, able to deploy by forcefully snapping it to defeat the detent, or use thumb stud.

Thanks! Looks like they're OOS now (too bad, KnifeWorks is one of my favorite BF-supporting dealers), but it sounds like I'm going to have to hunt one of these bad boys down. :D

Not the easiest to close though, that tri-ad lock bar is a stiff mama mamma! I left it half open overnight, helped a little.

My Tri-Ad knives usually take a couple of weeks of semi-regular use/fiddling to fully break in. I've yet to own one that didn't get nice and buttery after that point, though.

Back