Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

I've been wanting a Frenzy for a while, my only hangup is that the blade stock looks thick behind the edge, and the "FRENZY" lettering on the blade makes me cringe.
Main value of the Frenzy is the more narrow profile , handle smoothness and the clip ...all are more pocket friendly and in a more compact and easy to carry form factor than most knives of this size . Very stabby point ! . Long narrow blade , but still made strongly . It's not for primarily cutting your apple .

The Frenzy is pictured below with the XL Talwar . The Talwar is a far better slicer , but just look how wide it it compared to the Frenzy .

Main value of the Frenzy is the more narrow profile , handle smoothness and the clip

Oh man, that clip -- it's easily the best I've ever experienced from Cold Steel. It's perfectly positioned in relation to the grooves; it looks like it would get hung up entering/exiting your pocket, but the perfect length and tension make it work.

Oh man, that clip -- it's easily the best I've ever experienced from Cold Steel. It's perfectly positioned in relation to the grooves; it looks like it would get hung up entering/exiting your pocket, but the perfect length and tension make it work.
:) Absolutely !

:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The handle and clip on the Frenzy was a very pleasant surprise to me . So nice and pocket friendly , right out of the box . Much better than most of my older huge Cold Steel folders , which all needed some work as they came .

Much better than most of my older huge Cold Steel folders , which all needed some work as they came .

The new G10 texture they're using on the current generation of G10/AUS 10 Espadas is great, too. Not smooth like the Frenzy, but nothing like, say, the Recon 1 or the AK-47. (I buffed down the scales on both of those first thing.)

The new G10 texture they're using on the current generation of G10/AUS 10 Espadas is great, too. Not smooth like the Frenzy, but nothing like, say, the Recon 1 or the AK-47. (I buffed down the scales on both of those first thing.)
:) Yeah ! I had a whole routine worked out for any new Cold Steel arrival . Bent the clip out some and sanded the scales lightly overall , but more so under the clip . ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Lubed the pivot and proceeded to "work in " the lock . :rolleyes:

Main value of the Frenzy is the more narrow profile , handle smoothness and the clip ...all are more pocket friendly and in a more compact and easy to carry form factor than most knives of this size . Very stabby point ! . Long narrow blade , but still made strongly . It's not for primarily cutting your apple .

The Frenzy is pictured below with the XL Talwar . The Talwar is a far better slicer , but just look how wide it it compared to the Frenzy .

That makes me want to add a Talwar to the collection :D

That makes me want to add a Talwar to the collection :D

I feel like I'd be leaving you in the lurch if I didn't post a Frenzy/large Espada comparison shot. ;)

cPCSlLw.jpg

Sorry for the unappealing lighting; I had ceiling-bounce 3,000 lumens from my EDC light to make it work at all. :D

I added another big slab of steel to my collection today: a Medford 187 DP. :)

UFbWDEZ.jpg

4.25" blade of 0.19" thick D2, unreal hollow grind, and a blade:handle ratio of 0.81. Coming from the outlandish design of the Praetorian (which I love), the 187 feels downright utilitarian. :D

Here's a size comparison with a couple common frames of reference, a Military and a Grip:

rdqo7zG.jpg

IMG_7640.jpg IMG_7639.jpg
I've been wanting a Frenzy for a while, my only hangup is that the blade stock looks thick behind the edge, and the "FRENZY" lettering on the blade makes me cringe.

Mine finally showed up a couple days ago after a shipping mixup with the immortal. I took a quick bte measurement and came up with .030 but it may be a little thicker as i was in a hurry. Its not meant to be a performance grind anyhow but its definitely super sharp as are most CS out the box. The 3D machined layered G10 is pretty nice and The lettering on the bLade is typical for cold steel so it is what it is i suppose.
What it is= a beast of a mega folder thats actually designed in a carry-able package with an OL beating out my XL voyager and is fairly lightweight at 5.61oz considering the gigantic size of nearly 12.5" overall!

Dadpool Dadpool does your frenzy's blade have a flat edge when placed against a table or more of a recurve/slight hook?
Either way i scored a very sweet deal and its a pretty cool mega folder that is actually EDC-able. Para 3 LW for size reference.

Dadpool Dadpool does your frenzy's blade have a flat edge when placed against a table or more of a recurve/slight hook?
Either way i scored a very sweet deal and its a pretty cool mega folder that is actually EDC-able. Para 3 LW for size reference.

Yep, a very slight inward curve like a hawkbill. Every one I've seen has it.

Glad you're enjoying your Frenzy! :D

After about 5 months of collecting i found my ideal folder size is around 4-4.5" handle 3-4" blades.
You'll have to excuse my first post here (border line sizes) but it's in preparation for my latest 'Grail' purchase. I was convinced i needed to switch to some smaller designs but decided i needed one last big ass blade to rule them all (partially triggered by finding a good deal).
I haven't seen it posted here yet and will post it up when i get it. Just under 10" oal and 4"+ blade, that's all i'll say so it will be a surprise.
Until then! :

p8cQDQR.jpg

Does anyone have a frenzy made of XHP? I keep seeing references to it while I'm looking around but I'm only familiar with the s35vn version. We're the XHP the older ones.

The Medford TFF-1 is an odd-looking duck, but that Strider SMF-esque handle combined with the gigantic thumb "scallop" makes for a surprisingly comfortable grip. It's a monster of a knife, both long and wide -- though also thin, and not overly heavy for its size and construction . . . or maybe I'm just getting used to half-pound knives. :D

xR5gyFF.jpg

With its 4" blade, it sits squarely between the 3.75" Praetorian and the 4.25" 187 DP, and combines features of both of them.

UQxrbUO.jpg

Back