Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

L8Z1dHo.jpg

Here's a new biggie I've just added to my accumulation--the Sigma by Russian master blacksmith and knife maker Andrey Biryukov with its 4.1" wicked sharp S125V/62 HRC blade in a very interesting orange peel finish. Its ample titanium slabs are generously milled out to render a knife with an overall weight of only 4.75 oz.

7QfW4gE.jpg

F0u0PE2.jpg

D4BCfIA.jpg

I saw Darrel at the Blade Show and asked him if he would make a custom blade for my Aftermath. He declined. I don’t like D-2. It rusts in my pocket in the summertime.
I love D2...takes a patina yet doesn't make my apples taste funny and it cuts cardboard forever (especially with the full flat regrind) ;)

I love D2...takes a patina yet doesn't make my apples taste funny and it cuts cardboard forever (especially with the full flat regrind) ;)
I have no problems with D-2 except for the rust issue. D-2 is semi-stainless. I really tear up Carbon steel knives in my pocket in the summertime. I must have an acidic aura.

I plead guilty. Even as a kid, when all the pocket knives were Carbon steel, I turned all of my pocket knives into red dust. Some of the work I used to do involved plating and painting exterior decorative automotive parts. To test the parts for resistance to environmental corrosion, we ran accelerated corrosion tests involving high temperature salt spray cabinets and salt paste applications to parts in steam cabinets. None of the testing equipment came close to the environment in my pants pockets.

Here she is next to my previous largest blade and the smallest of my collection for comparison.
Not sure what i will ever use this for, but it's got amazing action for it's size and i like the look.

6Wy9rOd.jpg

ECIwYDV.jpg

What is it?

Andre De Villiers 'Scavenger' manufactured by Rike
I like it when a knife checks off a few boxes from my list.
-Manufacturer and designer i don't have anything from
-First integral i own
-Unique mill work / design / nice blade & biggest folder i own
-'Got a deal'

Last edited:
IMG_9069.jpg a couple of HK branded Benchmade red class large ascenders with a 4" blade and nice slim handle makes it dissappear in pocket for a large folder. Mini ascender for size comparison with a 3" blade. Manual actions unlike a lot of HK knives and the plain edge is a little rarer lacking the model number on the blade.

I tried the Mini Sheepdog and loved everything about it except its limited access to the lockbar (at least for my hands), so I put the then-out-of-stock Sheepdog XL on my wishlist. They came back in stock. It's awesome. :D

2WGnes5.jpg

The funny thing is that at this blade's widest point (not counting the flipper tab) it's still not as wide as the blade on the full-size Medford Praetorian. ;)

Back