Recommendation? Goldilocks and the bazillions of MTs

Petunia D. Feeble

I once waved at Stevie Wonder…
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Looking for recommendations on my next shot in the dark.

I have a few Wingmans that are emergency/bugout MTs. They work fine for that, but the Wingman's a bit heavy for my daily carry.

My use: Aside from the sharpening gig I'm an electro-mechanical technician. ATMs mostly, but we'll service just about anything that someone's willing to pay us for.

My most used tools are a small pry bar, like the bottle opener on an SAK, phillips 1 & 2 and needle nose pliers.

I want a 90% MT. Something that I can use for 90% of tasks. I have a full tool kit of course, but most of the time those few tools will get it done. Currently I'm carrying an SAK, a dual sided driver and a pair of pliers. If I could get them all on one took that would be great.

A pocket clip or suspension clip is a must. I don't do belt sheaths. Spring loaded pliers are also appreciated. Blade steel doesn't matter. I carry a knife.

The squirt and dime were too small, the wingman is nice, but too heavy. Suggestions? Budget isn't a consideration. First hand accounts are appreciated as well. I can browse retail sites and read specs, but sometimes they just don't translate.

Been looking at make a skeletool or something from SOG.

Ive busted one set of skeletool pliers, but gotta love the LM warranty. SOG looks interesting, but I don't know how well their QC is at the moment, looks like the reviews are really widely spaced. The 2D screwdriver bits on the skeletool are not great for philips, but the hex and torx are not bad in the smaller sizes, so that might actually be useful to you if you are needing those. Plus if you get the CX, the 154cm isn't horrid.

If the new SOG stuff has swapable tools, that could be great, but doesn't look like many had pocket clips anymore. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Back