Goliath

Alright guys, this knife is as perfect as a regular Military to the best I can tell, but for a sure opinion in definitely giving it to Spyderco for a look. Update at a later time when it comes back.

Hey, CJZ. Congrats on your find. Hopefully it is not a fake. We know that one of the sprint runs is orange with CTS-XHP steel. According to this it was a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive, although that doesn't rule out some other dealers from having obtained a few as well.

Personally from that lone picture, I see nothing to cause me to think it is a fake. Hopefully, that is the way it turns out. Best of luck with it - a great buy and a great knife for $80. :thumbup:

Sorry to start your thread like that man, but I recently got a fake southard from a loved one (they didn't know).

I feel your pain...:mad: but don't blame the seller right away, maybe he didn't know.

To me, right away the clip looked suspect, idk why, it's just not right. Then as someone else mentioned, that Torx pivot screw; that's just off too. Lastly, the g10 in the sellers photos looked too smooth. Look at how much texture the Emerson has instead of the military, it doesn't seem right.

Just watching out for a fellow knife nut,
I hope it turns out to be legit.:thumbup::thumbup:

Best way to figure this out for sure would be to contact Spyderco....

I am assuming that your knife came with it's original box?

There wil be a barcode and some numbers on there by the model number.

They should be able to work with that....

Actually, probably not. Counterfeiters go to great lengths to get even the box right and most often (unless it is one of the notoriously crappy fakes) will faithfully duplicate the box and labels. Best thing to do is what CJZ is doing and send it to Spyderco for their analysis.

OP before you send it in, let's see some more pictures. There's no need to go through all this trouble just yet. After all, you said you loved it and it's perfect. Hang on to it for a little bit, show us some pictures, and do some research on what to look for.

Hey, CJZ. Congrats on your find. Hopefully it is not a fake. We know that one of the sprint runs is orange with CTS-XHP steel. According to this it was a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive, although that doesn't rule out some other dealers from having obtained a few as well.

Personally from that lone picture, I see nothing to cause me to think it is a fake. Hopefully, that is the way it turns out. Best of luck with it - a great buy and a great knife for $80. :thumbup:

Hey Saintly.

Thanks for your response. Two things that lead me to believe it's a fake are the fact that the blade looks like it was cut/ground unevenly (not bad centering, the whole thing is a bit off), and the liner lock is noticeably dark. Pics tomorrow when it's brighter outside.

Also, I believe the XHP Millie has brown handles and the Para XHP was te orange one. :)

Actually, probably not. Counterfeiters go to great lengths to get even the box right and most often (unless it is one of the notoriously crappy fakes) will faithfully duplicate the box and labels. Best thing to do is what CJZ is doing and send it to Spyderco for their analysis.

This is correct, I have proof.

On the left is my 100% legit manix2, and on the right is a southard fake.
14368977153_fd9817da94.jpg

It is no different, it is exactly the same, and even the paperwork has all the correct information for warranty etc...

And here is the sticker with serial number and all, obviously the southard being the fake one.
14347953984_dee1984942.jpg

Again, no way to tell its fake or not.

Bottom line:
They do a better job at replicating the box rather than the knife:p

CJZ, I don't know if these will help, but here's some quick pictures of some real Spyderco's. I tried to capture the grain of the G10, the laser etching, and the hardware as best I could. The G10 Millie is an older model, so it may not be exactly the same (clip hardware, laser etching).

6T9EQi9.jpg

v99Dxmt.jpg

RTknkFf.jpg

CbkUkD5.jpg

H44FtAG.jpg

Can you take some good pictures of the lock bar with some good light on it so we can see the finish?

One way I've seen to spot a fake is see if the liner lock is a blasted finish. Most fakes don't have blasted finishes like the real ones do. I can't say that's a 100% way to tell but it may lead you one way or the other.

Can't really tell in the picture, but it looks to be bead blasted.

This is a screenshot of the video of the fake Carter had. Hopefully it doesn't look like this...

241kpOc.png

VS my real one

6T9EQi9.jpg

This is correct, I have proof.

On the left is my 100% legit manix2, and on the right is a southard fake.
14368977153_fd9817da94.jpg

It is no different, it is exactly the same, and even the paperwork has all the correct information for warranty etc...

And here is the sticker with serial number and all, obviously the southard being the fake one.
14347953984_dee1984942.jpg

Again, no way to tell its fake or not.

Bottom line:
They do a better job at replicating the box rather than the knife:p

It's not about 'getting the box right'....

That number means something to Spyderco, and I am sure each and every knife has a unique #.

someone that has two anything Spyderco that are identical can verify that as right or wrong.

Hopefully this system is to keep track of inventory and knives made, that can only be done once.

The fakes can have a barcode and numbers, but that should only prove they are fakes....

Back