Review Gollik Knives SLT3

Received this fixed blade from Gollik today and wanted to share my first impressions.

9pvcUdf.jpg

3r7Qrvd.jpg

LliefNf.jpg

It has a 5.3" blade length made of 0.165" thick Sleipner steel, contoured G10 handles, and weighs roughly 8-9 ounces. The handle feels very comfortable in any grip and fills my large hands nicely. The way the gimping runs partly into the handle allows for good traction on the thumb. Sheath is Kydex with leather belt loop and handle snap attached by cord. Blade fits snuggly with good retention.

6lbJgn5.jpg

x7597Cj.jpg

The blade is fairly stout with a high flat grind. The grind on the blade is magnificent! Comes down to a fine edge that is about as thick just behind the edge as the stock edge on my Para Military 2. From belly to tip thickens up a little and the tip looks like it would hold up to some stabbing/twisting. The spine is square enough to be handy (firesteel striking, bark removal, etc.) but not sharp enough it'll cut your fingers. Just an overall utilitarian blade that looks like it wants to get work done, whatever you throw at it.

BJeBv7j.jpg

BItaTye.jpg

To me, this knife is basically a much improved version of the ESEE 5. It can handle the same tough tasks, yet is almost half the weight, way better slicer, and feels much nicer in the hands during use.

Looking forward to using this knife on my next outdoors excursion. :)

Received this fixed blade from Gollik today and wanted to share my first impressions.
Hi, which are the impressions after the usage of the knife? what is your opinion after 7 months? We would like to read...

9pvcUdf.jpg

3r7Qrvd.jpg

LliefNf.jpg

It has a 5.3" blade length made of 0.165" thick Sleipner steel, contoured G10 handles, and weighs roughly 8-9 ounces. The handle feels very comfortable in any grip and fills my large hands nicely. The way the gimping runs partly into the handle allows for good traction on the thumb. Sheath is Kydex with leather belt loop and handle snap attached by cord. Blade fits snuggly with good retention.

6lbJgn5.jpg

x7597Cj.jpg

The blade is fairly stout with a high flat grind. The grind on the blade is magnificent! Comes down to a fine edge that is about as thick just behind the edge as the stock edge on my Para Military 2. From belly to tip thickens up a little and the tip looks like it would hold up to some stabbing/twisting. The spine is square enough to be handy (firesteel striking, bark removal, etc.) but not sharp enough it'll cut your fingers. Just an overall utilitarian blade that looks like it wants to get work done, whatever you throw at it.

BJeBv7j.jpg

BItaTye.jpg

To me, this knife is basically a much improved version of the ESEE 5. It can handle the same tough tasks, yet is almost half the weight, way better slicer, and feels much nicer in the hands during use.

Looking forward to using this knife on my next outdoors excursion. :)

Hola hunter,

Short answer to your question...... It's a beast! I took it with me on a few outings and it got some varied use. The aspect I'm most impressed with is the blade grind. The high grind and fine edge make it a great slicer. I found myself using it to cut food and other light tasks I'd normally use a smaller 4" or under blade for. It excels at chopping small branches and splitting smaller pieces of wood to get a fire going. I did try splitting some larger pieces just to test it out and it held up well. The edge rolled a little after a while, but a quick touch-up on a stone and it was ready for more. The Sleipner steel is not the best with edge retention or rust resistance, but it's very resilient. I much prefer being able to easily touch up a rolled edge than sharpening out chips, and I haven't had any more than some light staining/patina on the blade so far. I do make sure to wipe the blade off before re-sheathing it.

The weight, balance, and comfortable handle make it a pleasure to get stuff done. I haven't once felt like I didn't have a firm hold on the knife while using it. I originally put a lanyard through the hole at the end, but took it off after a while since it got in the way and wasn't ever needed. The exposed tang through the handle will get cold on the palm, so I wore gloves while using in colder weather more for that reason than the handle being rough on the hands.

Not really much more I can say about the knife. I've done all but go out of my way to try and break it, and it's held together beautifully. :)

Hola hunter,

Short answer to your question...... It's a beast! I took it with me on a few outings and it got some varied use. The aspect I'm most impressed with is the blade grind. The high grind and fine edge make it a great slicer. I found myself using it to cut food and other light tasks I'd normally use a smaller 4" or under blade for. It excels at chopping small branches and splitting smaller pieces of wood to get a fire going. I did try splitting some larger pieces just to test it out and it held up well. The edge rolled a little after a while, but a quick touch-up on a stone and it was ready for more. The Sleipner steel is not the best with edge retention or rust resistance, but it's very resilient. I much prefer being able to easily touch up a rolled edge than sharpening out chips, and I haven't had any more than some light staining/patina on the blade so far. I do make sure to wipe the blade off before re-sheathing it.

The weight, balance, and comfortable handle make it a pleasure to get stuff done. I haven't once felt like I didn't have a firm hold on the knife while using it. I originally put a lanyard through the hole at the end, but took it off after a while since it got in the way and wasn't ever needed. The exposed tang through the handle will get cold on the palm, so I wore gloves while using in colder weather more for that reason than the handle being rough on the hands.

Not really much more I can say about the knife. I've done all but go out of my way to try and break it, and it's held together beautifully. :)
Excellent review!!! thanks for sharing!

Great to see a review, thanks for taking the time. I'm always surprised that more of his knives don't get snatched up quicker in the For Sale forum.

Back