Good all around fixed blade?

yeah, I have to agree with mora companion - I have the stainless version, which for such a simple and 'old' steel (12c27) still holds excellent all around properties. It's easy to sharpen on a river stone if needed : )

my 'all-around' fixed blade is a slightly more expensive knife in 14c28n (the sandvik upgraded stainless which is one of the best values today imho), ruike jager
the value you get for this is outstanding
3yIFaL34mzxc.jpg

Another vote for the Ruike knives. I have two of their folders, the 14C28N is heat-treated well, it takes and holds a good edge, and corrosion resistance is more than acceptable, at least to me. The price is tough to beat for the quality. I'm thinking I like these more than CRKT, or even Kershaw, for knives at similar price points. The fact that they're actually not unattractive is icing on the cake! Style fit for the function, the best of both worlds.

Dwight, since you're going to literally be in salt water as opposed to on a boat, you almost certainly want a knife that is as corrosion resistant as you can get. People have recommended the Waterway but haven't told you why: unlike every other knife mentioned here, it's essentially rust proof. Picture of it below from spyderco.com.

Not all stainless steels are created equal. The Spyderco Waterway is made from a unique stainless steel called LC200N (or Z-FiNit or Cronidur 30). It's virtually rust-proof. I can't think of a better situation than yours for using this specific knife.

Another option would be to find a Spyderco Mule in LC200N. They are hard to find and you would need to provide your own handle or have one made, preferably rust proof. This is a more expensive option than buying a Waterway.

FB43GP_Both.png

Last edited:
You could get a Spyderco Mule in SPY27 steel, the scales, and sheath from Spyderco. A Spyderco Waterway should do it all.

I am happy with smaller blades and a light hatchet.

Last edited:
Dwight, since you're going to literally be in salt water as opposed to on a boat, you almost certainly want a knife that is as corrosion resistant as you can get. People have recommended the Waterway but haven't told you why: unlike every other knife mentioned here, it's essentially rust proof. Picture of it below from spyderco.com.

Not all stainless steels are created equal. The Spyderco Waterway is made from a unique stainless steel called LC200N (or Z-FiNit or Cronidur 30). It's virtually rust-proof. I can't think of a better situation than yours for using this specific knife.

Another option would be to find a Spyderco Mule in LC200N. They are hard to find and you would need to provide your own handle or have one made, preferably rust proof. This is a more expensive option than buying a Waterway.

FB43GP_Both.png
Yup. Totally agree. My review of it here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyderco-waterway.1734102/

The only issue the OP might have is the size and concealability. I have no problem with the size or carrying the Water Way, but that very much is a personal preference.

I said it already but I'll repeat it again, if you are literally going to be in saltwater while you fish, IE in the surf like the OP says he does, then you will want as rust proof as possible. Besides H1, LC200N is that steel. Plus, it is more than adequate as an everyday EDC type of steel.

It's rustproof! Sorry man, that's all I got.

I think 345 is in line with most high-end production these days--not that I like it! Heck I saw a nice Spyderco bushcraft that was 350.

It's rustproof! Sorry man, that's all I got.

I think 345 is in line with most high-end production these days--not that I like it! Heck I saw a nice Spyderco bushcraft that was 350.
Ha! Yeah, I've paid that much for a few fixed blades (Spartan, Busse, CPK).

Maybe consider the Mora Kansbol with its dual grind if you're at all interested in a scandi/flat grind combination for multi-use as an outdoors enthusiast?

Reactions: vba
Yup. Totally agree. My review of it here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyderco-waterway.1734102/

The only issue the OP might have is the size and concealability. I have no problem with the size or carrying the Water Way, but that very much is a personal preference.

I said it already but I'll repeat it again, if you are literally going to be in saltwater while you fish, IE in the surf like the OP says he does, then you will want as rust proof as possible. Besides H1, LC200N is that steel. Plus, it is more than adequate as an everyday EDC type of steel.
Yep. H1 is is a distant 2nd choice for me due to the relatively poor edge retention. There's a plain edge Spyderco Aqua Salt in H-1, but I can't see any reason to do that vs. the Waterway. The LC200N Mule is great if you want a shorter blade. This happens to be my fishing knife. :) Finding one reasonably priced and and then finding handle hardware that won't rust could be a challenge. Like the OP, I clean my fish at home so it's not used to filet or butcher anything. It does get bloody and is usually wet.

Plenty of LC200 folder options. Sand and folders are not a good combo.

Nice job on that review. I'll disagree with the "master of none" comment. This is the master at corrosion resistance and having good edge retention. Is the handgun in your picture a Glock 26?

Last edited:
Nice job on that review. I'll disagree with the "master of none" comment. This is the master at corrosion resistance and having good edge retention. Is the handgun in your picture a Glock 26?
Thanks, and yes, G26. I would only say it isn't the best at corrosion resistance because of h1, which in SE is a great thing!

Thanks, and yes, G26. I would only say it isn't the best at corrosion resistance because of h1, which in SE is a great thing!
Fair point. Maybe best at corrosion resistance with decent edge retention. H-1 reminds of of another popular steel that I won't carry because it seems to be dull after every cut.

Reactions: vba
I’ll recommend a Spyderco Mule. I’ve found it’s a really, really good size for EDC. I love mine. There’s a large variety of steels to choose from, though the one pitfall is they can be tough to find, especially if you’re looking for a particular steel. You can look them up on the Spyderco Website. It’s worth the read.

There is an upcoming model that uses their new stainless Spy27 for $50, which sounds like it’d be a good match for you. It’s blade only, but there are sheaths and scales out there for them.

A picture for reference -
vaDIntp.jpg

Another option is a Mora. It’s tough to beat the Mora Companion.
Would you happen to know when abouts this mule will be out?

That waterway does seem like the correct option. It's more than some of the other options but not by that much. Buy once cry once. It looks like a tool for a lifetime.

Back