Good axe under $75

Great question, and the bay is a good place to browse, see what's out there.

What would your primary use be?

Have you considered the weight of the axe and length of the handle?

Are you desiring a golden era North American axe?
European?
Modern axes can be found today, made of good quality.

All that said.

The axe i recommend you look for a 3 to 3 1/2lb axe on a 28-32" haft depending on your wing span and primary use.

If your looking for a camping or similar type companion, go smaller head weight...1 3/4lbs - 2 1/2lbs on nothing longer than 28".

Hope this helps narrow your search:thumbsup:

All good advise so far.

If you want to buy off the shelf then have a look at Council tools. If you want something nicer find a vintage American axe with convex cheeks and little wear on the toe, then re-hang it yourself. It will be fun and you'll learn a skill you need anyway to care for your axe.

What will you use this axe for? That will help decide the weight and pattern.

All good advise so far.

If you want to buy off the shelf then have a look at Council tools. If you want something nicer find a vintage American axe with convex cheeks and little wear on the toe, then re-hang it yourself. It will be fun and you'll learn a skill you need anyway to care for your axe.

What will you use this axe for? That will help decide the weight and pattern.
is this axe any good
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mann-Edge-...581764?hash=item42061fb104:g:51AAAOSwgWtdR3cM

Council tool has pretty good stuff. I also like the rinaldi axes offered by Baryonyx knife co. They're not polled and some people don't like them for that reason, but I prefer them from a weight to performance aspect. The slip-fit design is easier for me to maintain as I am apparently horrible at re-hafting a regular axe.

Getting an good head and putting a handle on it is always an option as well and I have a few I've done that with, with good results, once I get the wedges figured out (again, not great at it).

Buy any old USA made axe you can find at the nearest yard, garage or estate-sale. They are usually $2-$5, the higher price range being for those with a good usable handle. don't worry about the brand because they are all good enough for anyone or anything.

Back