1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Good axe under $75

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Aerosmith101, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Aerosmith101

Aerosmith101

Oct 28, 2018
    I'm looking for a decent axe up to or around $75 and need suggestions

Miller '72 likes this.
  2. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Ebay and the hardware store still have enough left for a steak dinner

3. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Great question, and the bay is a good place to browse, see what's out there.

What would your primary use be?

Have you considered the weight of the axe and length of the handle?

Are you desiring a golden era North American axe?
    European?
    Modern axes can be found today, made of good quality.

All that said.

The axe i recommend you look for a 3 to 3 1/2lb axe on a 28-32" haft depending on your wing span and primary use.

If your looking for a camping or similar type companion, go smaller head weight...1 3/4lbs - 2 1/2lbs on nothing longer than 28".

Hope this helps narrow your search:thumbsup:

Fmont, crbnSteeladdict and A17 like this.
  4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    All good advise so far.

If you want to buy off the shelf then have a look at Council tools. If you want something nicer find a vintage American axe with convex cheeks and little wear on the toe, then re-hang it yourself. It will be fun and you'll learn a skill you need anyway to care for your axe.

What will you use this axe for? That will help decide the weight and pattern.

tall_papa, A17, Fmont and 4 others like this.
  5. Aerosmith101

Aerosmith101

Oct 28, 2018
    is this axe any good
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mann-Edge-...581764?hash=item42061fb104:g:51AAAOSwgWtdR3cM

6. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    A17, Fmont and Miller '72 like this.
  7. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Council tool has pretty good stuff. I also like the rinaldi axes offered by Baryonyx knife co. They're not polled and some people don't like them for that reason, but I prefer them from a weight to performance aspect. The slip-fit design is easier for me to maintain as I am apparently horrible at re-hafting a regular axe.

Getting an good head and putting a handle on it is always an option as well and I have a few I've done that with, with good results, once I get the wedges figured out (again, not great at it).

A17, Fmont and Miller '72 like this.
  8. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Are you ok with rehanging an older vintage head?

Miller '72 likes this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    A17, Yankee Josh, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  10. gben

gben

Nov 26, 2014
    Buy any old USA made axe you can find at the nearest yard, garage or estate-sale. They are usually $2-$5, the higher price range being for those with a good usable handle. don't worry about the brand because they are all good enough for anyone or anything.