Good Customer Service

Bmurray

Gold Member
I'd like to share some recent good experiences with a few companies, that have superb customer service.

GORILLA LADDERS

I had a chest high aluminum step ladder with the platform. We used the hell out of this thing over the years. It had lots of dings, covered in paint ect. Somehow it got knocked over and broke the plastic tabs that pull down and secure the platform. I emailed them asking if I could buy the parts to repair my ladder. They emailed me asking for a pic of the tag with the model and serial number. Within a day or so they emailed me a tracking and message that they're sending me a new ladder at no cost or shipping. A few days later FedEx delivers me a nice new ladder. Now this is a company that'll have my business from now on.

https://gorillaladders.com/

STREAMLIGHT

I've had my Stinger DS for years, the longest of any flashlight. Covered in a many scares. It's been dropped more times than I can count on the asphalt from a treestand, bounced around on my atv, rained on, lost in the mud of a nearly dry pond. Well it came up missing one fall. Damn I was pissed. I just couldn't remember where I last used it. Well were down at our farm right before we sold it getting the equipment out. Something caught my eye down in the lower yard, yep my Streamlight. It sat out there in the sun, rain, ice and snow 6 months. It wouldn't work. So I sent it to them for repair. They called me and sad the battery needed replacement and was $12 plus $3 shipping. I said yes. They called back a few days later stating it was finished and needed payment. They informed me they also rebuilt everything in the light as new except for the outer body. NO CHARGE except for the battery. I have four of their light already and will always be a customer.

https://www.streamlight.com/

Reactions: 315
I've had excellent experience shopping with the fine folks at HJE.
Also great experience with Wright tool.

A few months back I bought some tools from HJE, one of which being a 6" Wright tool 1/4 drive extension.
It arrived with an inoperable detent that would not depress.
I called up HJE who told me they'd have Wright send me out a replacement and to call them if nothing turned up from Wright.
After it had been a while and I never received anything I called HJE back and was told they'd be sending me out a replacement themselves.
The day after I had received the replacement from them a replacement directly from Wright tool actually showed up.

I called HJE a third time to let them know the replacement from Wright had in fact showed up and that I'd be returning theirs to them.
They were just happy that Wright had taken care of me as it was unusual for them to hear otherwise.

I thought this was the end of everything, but shortly after I actually received a $10 refund to my bank account from HJE.
It only costed me around $3 to return theirs so I didn't expect anything let alone $10.

Both companies are excellent, and I have come to trust them.

I own 3 Ultra Tac K18 flashlight's and like them that said there customer service is non existent they won't answer several emails I sent them.

I have to give a nod to the Kohler company (plumbing fixtures), they have great customer service and when they put a lifetime warranty on a product they mean it. I have a pull-out spray head kitchen faucet I bought from Kohler about 15 years ago which has their lifetime warranty, every couple of years I call them up and ask for a new spray head for the faucet, or every 6 years I get a new valve assembly, common wear parts, their customer service is always helpful and sends me the parts without questions.

Last edited:
USAA insurance for everything! Best on the market by far. Wonderful C.S.- They didn't even blink when I told them I blew my p.u windshield out with a 30.06. Just said, "Glad no one was hurt. No deductible on that"--KV

I'd like to share some recent good experiences with a few companies, that have superb customer service.

GORILLA LADDERS

I had a chest high aluminum step ladder with the platform. We used the hell out of this thing over the years. It had lots of dings, covered in paint ect. Somehow it got knocked over and broke the plastic tabs that pull down and secure the platform. I emailed them asking if I could buy the parts to repair my ladder. They emailed me asking for a pic of the tag with the model and serial number. Within a day or so they emailed me a tracking and message that they're sending me a new ladder at no cost or shipping. A few days later FedEx delivers me a nice new ladder. Now this is a company that'll have my business from now on.
I own one gorilla step ladder. It is the 5.5 ft step ladder. I wanted to try one out after I saw them at the home centers. It fits in the back of my pickup quite nicely with it's 6 ft bed.​

USAA insurance for everything! Best on the market by far. Wonderful C.S.- They didn't even blink when I told them I blew my p.u windshield out with a 30.06. Just said, "Glad no one was hurt. No deductible on that"--KV

I concur, I've been a USAA member since 1980 but just for auto, their collusion repair shop is one of the best in our area and even they brag about how great it is to work with USAA.

Mancrates.com

They sell cool gifts for men, which literally come in small crates you have to pry open (well most of them anyway). My wife has gotten me a few gifts from them over the years, including a ‘build-your-own-watch’ kit this Christmas. Had a mishap installing the hands on the dial (totally my own fault), and after talking to customer service, they sent me replacement parts, free of charge, no questions asked. The customer service rep was curious, and took care of me promptly, and had the parts out in the mail next business day. From my first email to them, to parts in my mailbox was less than a week. She even offered to expiate shipping if I wanted at no additional cost.

I have had excellent service from Ruger over the years. Most recently was the purchase of a Ruger Wrangler. It’s an inexpensive .22 Revolver, but it shoots as good, or better than my other two Single Sixes. I bought it from Cabela’s and you were not able to work the action before you walked out the door because of their goofy policies in the store. When I got at home it would not cock properly. Upon inspection, there was this white chalky substance gunked up at the end of the base pin assembly. I took a couple of photos and called Ruger customer service. Without hesitation the lady on the phone asked me for my mailing address they promptly shipped me a new base pin assembly at no charge. This was even after I cleaned the chalky substance out and got the gun to function absolutely fine. It appeared that during the bluing process some of the bluing salts did not get flushed out and caused that substance to form. They could’ve just as easily told me to go ahead and clean it and try it out but sending me the new part was definitely putting themselves at the top of the customer service game.

I have also had tremendous service from them when I wanted to exchange a set of rings for a rifle. They have always offered the exchange program but because the way the new guns were packaged, the rings were not in a retail packaging container that they would be able to send out to somebody else or resell. The gentleman on the other end of the phone just sent me a new set at no cost and told me to do what I like with the old set.

I concur, the best imho.

Took my truck in for its 25K checkup at the dealership. They found a nail in one tire. My "inflation light" came on about a week ago and I thought it was due to the change in weather conditions (colder). But not the case. They replaced the tire with a new one. No charge.

I recently bought a gun from Grabagun, a few days later the price had dropped $20.00. I sent an e-mail and with in twenty minutes they responded and gave me a refund. It was the speed of the reply that was amazing, no hesitation, they'll get a lot more of my business.

USAA is great if you are insured with them. But if you are hit by someone with USAA, and you DON'T have them, they are a real pain to deal with. I was rearended while stopped at a red light, and they refused to pay my medical bills from the injury, or even the ambulance bill. I ended up having to get my own insurance company involved to subrogate, they had to hire attorneys to sue. Finally, one week before the 2 year statute of limitations was up, they paid my medical bills. It ruined my credit all those unpaid bills.

However, this is not necessarily uncommon, Allstate is one of the worst to deal with, offering pennies for car repairs. I sold insurance for 15 years (independent agent) and had to dick with this kind of stuff on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

Great customer service?

SAS shoes

My grandma and I each bought a pair of shoes at the local store near her, and she had tried on multiple sizes and colors of one shoe. In the confusion, the box didn't have the extra laces that normally come with their shoes. We went back, and they gave her TWO extra pairs of laces, her choice of colors. Everything is made in Texas, including the insoles, laces, etc. Even their leather comes from an in-house tannery. GREAT company.

USAA is great if you are insured with them. But if you are hit by someone with USAA, and you DON'T have them, they are a real pain to deal with. I was rearended while stopped at a red light, and they refused to pay my medical bills from the injury, or even the ambulance bill. I ended up having to get my own insurance company involved to subrogate, they had to hire attorneys to sue. Finally, one week before the 2 year statute of limitations was up, they paid my medical bills. It ruined my credit all those unpaid bills.

However, this is not necessarily uncommon, Allstate is one of the worst to deal with, offering pennies for car repairs. I sold insurance for 15 years (independent agent) and had to dick with this kind of stuff on a weekly, if not daily, basis.
Interesting. I always assumed that Allstate was top notch. I have used State Farm all my adult life and have always had good service.

Had an accident two years ago where I ran into a van (essentially a fender bender but it totalled my old 15 year old pickup). I took pictures of the accident scene and was convinced it was not my fault. The police said it was my fault. Anyway after discussions with State Farm and their review of my photos, they agreed with me and would not cover the other vehicle. The other vehicle owner was pissed and threatened to sue me. State Farm told me if they sue, we have you covered and will defend our assessment.

I have have dealt with USAA once that I recall and they paid me very quickly (home owners insurance covering my contractor fees).

The problem, in auto insurance, is that many companies do right by their own insureds, but are terrible at taking care of the other party when their insured is at fault.

Often their adjusters will cheap out on repair estimates, or require you to go to one of their "preferred" shops that will do the repairs cheap with substandard parts.

I have two body shops I personally have worked with since I was 16.

I was rear-ended and the estimate was $5600 to repair my 3 week old, brand new car. Bought it right off the showroom floor.

USAA wanted to pay $3000 and use aftermarket parts. On a new car.

The worst is when they do this stuff to their own customers.

Anyway, back to good CS.

Zappos dot com has great cs. Free, fast shipping both ways.

But the best customer service is the one you don't need.

The problem, in auto insurance, is that many companies do right by their own insureds, but are terrible at taking care of the other party when their insured is at fault.

Often their adjusters will cheap out on repair estimates, or require you to go to one of their "preferred" shops that will do the repairs cheap with substandard parts.

I have two body shops I personally have worked with since I was 16.

I was rear-ended and the estimate was $5600 to repair my 3 week old, brand new car. Bought it right off the showroom floor.

USAA wanted to pay $3000 and use aftermarket parts. On a new car.

The worst is when they do this stuff to their own customers.

Anyway, back to good CS.

Zappos dot com has great cs. Free, fast shipping both ways.

But the best customer service is the one you don't need.
Most people have no idea where to get their vehicle repaired after an accident in terms of "good-better-best". Getting hit 3 weeks after buying a new car sucks. It always seems to work that way.

Years ago, I bought a new small Blazer. (I factory ordered it so it would be precisely what I wanted and paid cash.) I was pulling out into a busy 6 lane (3 each way) suburb street and was behind a business vehicle (like a UPS truck).... it sat and sat as it was trying to turn left and had to cross three lanes of traffic. He had his blinkers on and doing everything right. I was turning right from the parking lot and after waiting about 5 minutes decided there was enough room for me to get on his right side and make my turn. I moved beside the truck.... then he decided to turn right and turned right into my brand new vehicle..... probably under 3 weeks old. He obviously didn't see me, and I understood the problem and really didn't know if it was mine or his fault. I just turned it into the insurance company to let them decide. SF fixed my vehicle immediately and didn't wait for any resolution on fault. I believe it was determined that it was the other guy's fault and their insurance company reimbursed SF.

With auto insurance, it is all about customer service. Tis why I have never gone with some of the "online" insurance companies as I want an agent to talk to in-person if I need to.

Most people have no idea where to get their vehicle repaired after an accident in terms of "good-better-best". Getting hit 3 weeks after buying a new car sucks. It always seems to work that way.

Years ago, I bought a new small Blazer. (I factory ordered it so it would be precisely what I wanted and paid cash.) I was pulling out into a busy 6 lane (3 each way) suburb street and was behind a business vehicle (like a UPS truck).... it sat and sat as it was trying to turn left and had to cross three lanes of traffic. He had his blinkers on and doing everything right. I was turning right from the parking lot and after waiting about 5 minutes decided there was enough room for me to get on his right side and make my turn. I moved beside the truck.... then he decided to turn right and turned right into my brand new vehicle..... probably under 3 weeks old. He obviously didn't see me, and I understood the problem and really didn't know if it was mine or his fault. I just turned it into the insurance company to let them decide. SF fixed my vehicle immediately and didn't wait for any resolution on fault. I believe it was determined that it was the other guy's fault and their insurance company reimbursed SF.

With auto insurance, it is all about customer service. Tis why I have never gone with some of the "online" insurance companies as I want an agent to talk to in-person if I need to.

Definitely agree. I hate the liberty mutual ads "only what you need." Most people have no idea what they need. It's an agents job to help determine that.

My needs are much different from, say, my aunt.

I'm divorced, one car, disabled, live at home.

She's married, owns five homes, six cars, and two boats. Not to mention at least $200k in jewelry.

In my family's business, we have always been proponents of getting the best coverage you can afford. And that's because most people don't understand that the higher your (auto) liability limits are, the higher your un/underinsured motorist limits, are, which protect you. If you are not at fault, and sustain injuries greater than what the at-fault party's policy cover, the um picks up where theirs left off.

Definitely agree. I hate the liberty mutual ads "only what you need." Most people have no idea what they need. It's an agents job to help determine that.

My needs are much different from, say, my aunt.

I'm divorced, one car, disabled, live at home.

She's married, owns five homes, six cars, and two boats. Not to mention at least $200k in jewelry.

In my family's business, we have always been proponents of getting the best coverage you can afford. And that's because most people don't understand that the higher your (auto) liability limits are, the higher your un/underinsured motorist limits, are, which protect you. If you are not at fault, and sustain injuries greater than what the at-fault party's policy cover, the um picks up where theirs left off.
I agree with you. Insuring jewelry is one of those optional items and tends to be pretty expensive. I have been a proponent of the excess liability rider on home owners which applies to all charges against insurance, especially if you go with the same company for most of your insurance needs. These days of mult-million dollar settlements have made me question my limits. I also chuckle about Liberty Mutual's TV ads as the reason for bundling products is those are the ones most needed or wanted. You can always add different limits or deductible amounts. The only coverage I have questioned is the uninsured motorist coverage. That condition is not uncommon in the Southeast. People sign up for insurance because in many cases it's required (state law on autos), usually a monthly premium, and after a couple months not pay their bill. They still have their "card" showing insurance if they get stopped by an leo or have an accident.

The other thing that really bothers me is how people lie when it comes to fault. They don't just stretch the truth, they change all the facts. Cell phones are a godsend for documenting accident scenes by individuals.

Back