Good Hiking / Trekking Poles

Hey fellow hiking pole enthusiasts...

So I went for a river hike last summer, and a buddy of mine insisted that I take some hiking poles, since we would be walking in the stream in river rocks and current much of the time. I have to say, these babies were a game changer! They really add a level of stability that is hard to do without next time.

The ones he gave me was a set of REI Traverse, which were a simple setup of retractable/telescoping aluminum pole that secured with a twist, and a hard plastic grip. I found them adequate, but he insisted that if I get a pair for myself to "get a good pair".

His poles have locking levers, kinda like on a mountain bike seat post, handles are cork, and there's tips on the ends of the pole. He explained to me that "the tips were gone" on the poles I used... you can see where maybe there was one and it's just a scarred up aluminum end now... but I don't know what I'd put on them?

At any rate, if y'all are avid users of hiking poles, do give me an idea of some features, maybe your favorite brand/model and what you like about them, and perhaps where to shop for some. I'll spend the cash on some that will last, but I don't need them to outperform this old carcass.

I will not be doing any extreme mountaineering, and they don't need to fold up into a wallet... No traversing mountain ranges any more, I'm a day hiker tops nowadays.

I like the Black diamond carbon z poles, available from REI. Ultra lightweight. Non adjustable but I don't find that to be a problem as long as you purchase the length suitable for yourself. They are not as strong against sideways pressure as heavier aluminum poles, so (like a knife) don't use them for prying, or step on them. If you get them from REI, you can return them for free replacement if you accidentally break them, as I have done. I find the weight savings outweighs other considerations, ymmv. If you buy adjustable poles, you'll want to carry your SAK, and occasionally lubricate the adjustment screws, and keep the poles dry. Recommend the ones with a clamp instead of the ones that twist to adjust, which can be very finicky.

Last edited:
Another option which I gravitate towards if I'm concerned about animals I might encounter is the luxurylite bigstik, which can be ordered with a Texas toothpick (hidden spear). Not sharp enough to cut a person but pointy enough to provide some defense against animals. Their single wall carbon version is cheaper than their double wall version and does the job (their alloy version is even cheaper.) You can wrap the uppermost section of the stick with Wilson (tennis racket) cushionaire replacement grip for better grip and cushioning.

Last edited:
Another option which I gravitate towards if I'm concerned about animals I might encounter is the luxurylite bigstik, which can be ordered with a Texas toothpick (hidden spear). Not sharp enough to cut a person but pointy enough to provide some defense against animals. Their single wall carbon version is cheaper than their double wall version and does the job (their alloy version is even cheaper.) You can wrap the uppermost section of the stick with Wilson (tennis racket) cushionaire replacement grip for better grip and cushioning.

I hadn't seen that before. Quite the list of options, you could really jazz up the James Bond of hiking staffs if you wanted!

I wonder if you would need the strength of the double walled model. The single wall versions certainly are affordable.

I hadn't seen that before. Quite the list of options, you could really jazz up the James Bond of hiking staffs if you wanted!

I wonder if you would need the strength of the double walled model. The single wall versions certainly are affordable.
I have been using the single walled carbon model for years and it hasn't failed me yet. Occasionally I lubricate the joins between the sections of the pole, or sand it down a bit if it's too tight. I stuck a standard rubber crutch tip on top.

Strictly for your amusement you can check out the walking staff by Unbreakxble. Totally impractical imho because of its weight and how long it takes to unscrew each section to expose a blade/saw/tool. But interesting prototype. Maybe if it were titanium or CF it would be light enough to be practical.

Strictly for your amusement you can check out the walking staff by Unbreakxble. Totally impractical imho because of its weight and how long it takes to unscrew each section to expose a blade/saw/tool. But interesting prototype. Maybe if it were titanium or CF it would be light enough to be practical.

Yeah, two pounds is a bit much. 4 sections of the LuxuryLite BigStik is under a pound, and that's for the double walled one. A pair of Carbon Z's are half a pound.

I'm liking those Black Diamond poles. They seem to get rave reviews as well. Now to find my REI gift cards I got for Xmas.

So update, I got a pair of Leki Makalu anti-shock poles from the local buy & sell site. They were barely used if at all.

Only issue I see with them is they have the speed lock lever for the upper section, but the lower section still secures with a twist lock.

They were a bargain though, I got them for waaaaayyy less than a new pair goes for, so I'll overlook this model's "shortcomings".

Thanks for the feedback, barleywino barleywino I'll give the Black Diamond poles a look for the missus when summer gets closer.

Back