Good Knife Co. Email Newsletter?

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
No idea if this will go anywhere, but would there be an interest in a weekly or bi-weekly email newsletter from Good Knife Co? I've been trying to figure out a way to link together customers from different forums and social media platforms as I've all but left facebook and there's some lost potential there. I heard a compelling podcast about how this could be a decent way to stay connected and keep customers and potential customers informed on what we're doing and just knife stuff in general. Came up with the idea this week and vetting thru "what would it look like" at the moment.

Potential topics:
GKC focused:
Current inventory
Coming inventory
Design/knife highlights
Testimonials and story time
Pictures
Video "discussions" or Q&A
What am I being asked about

Non-GKC:
What production knives am I loving right now
What gear am I loving right now
What companies do I love
What have I learned this week/month
Customer corner
Just cool things

Again, no idea where this goes. I've considered this before but as GKC is a side gig, I tend to avoid hard commitments that are very repetitive with a timeline of forever. I tend to have a lot of side conversations in PM's, in forums, and via email so the intent is to be more conversational, not "buy my stuff." Obviously, it's email marketing but I don't want it to be overwhelmingly marketing. Until I get a hard website, this might be the best thing I can come up with to link everything together. Maybe the topics turn into a blog which eventually turns into a website, who knows. I'm not committing to anything at the moment until some other big happenings get some clarity in a couple weeks.

I think this is something I'll look to start in 2022.

An email every 3-4 weeks wouldn't be bad. I think I get pout house email every 6-8 weeks from LTWK

Seems as good a place as any, we'll just call this a mini- "newsletter" before the actual newsletter starts (assuming that it will, which is still up in the air at the moment).

I was looking over the one KPI that means the most to me, how much I've contributed to The Mighty Oaks Foundation, and after the finalization of a project around the end of next month involving 15 knives I'll be over $700 donated this year, which makes me smile. That's not entirely an indicator of profitability as I started giving more on top of the stated 10% of profits from each sale, but growing that number has become the prime purpose for trying to grow the business.

I'm blessed to have great customers and business partners, both past and present, and a day job that doesn't require me to take the profits away from the business. I can put it back into the business and give some to others who need it. Nothing really that special, just doing what I said I wanted to do with Good Knife Co. and it's great to see that number improve over last year (last year was not good).

Okay, I'm going to give this a trial period next year. I'm going to try to keep them light-hearted but informative. I don't think I'll go too far into my own stuff but just knife and outdoors related things in general. I think design elements of my stuff will show up in there as well, maybe for other knives I'm testing from other makers, but mostly just a way to communicate things I'm thinking for outdoor knives and related things. Still, I will likely base this on things I'm discussing with others like thoughts on blade steel, designs, etc.

So, as a final confirmation, please message me you email address or email it to me at goodknifeco@gmail.com

Took far longer than I expected but finally got the 1st "The Good News" Newsletter out telling the origin story of GKC. It's long, because I'm not good and writing short stories. I hope you enjoy.

If you missed out and would like me to send you Ed. 0, the origin story of GKC, just let me know. If you want to sign up for future newsletters, you can join in anytime.

Based on how long this one took and my availability. I suspect 1 email a month is about all I will be able to send.

Thank you both! That at least 1 person enjoyed it is reward enough for the time I spent on it.

I hope they continue to be entertaining and interesting and worthwhile reads.

Cheers!

Thank you both! That at least 1 person enjoyed it is reward enough for the time I spent on it.

I hope they continue to be entertaining and interesting and worthwhile reads.

Cheers!

Yeah I mean, it was totally lacking in pictures of cobbled together furniture made from random bits of branches and such, but otherwise a pretty good read. ;)

And that Widgy knife is totally bad ass. What steel is it?

Reactions: FSA
Yeah I mean, it was totally lacking in pictures of cobbled together furniture made from random bits of branches and such, but otherwise a pretty good read. ;)

And that Widgy knife is totally bad ass. What steel is it?

Must have forgotten to put that in there. V4e. It is totally badass. 5mm thick.

Still have the lawn furniture. We stopped using it because my son kept running off with the branches used for the seating area and I was tired of picking them all up everytime we wanted to sit around the campfire.

I had meant to tie them together with some bankline so it would at least be an easy drag back to the seating but never got around to it. They're now in a pile next to the frame. It's surprisingly held up for 2 or 3 years now outside all year.

Chad, sorry I missed this. I would love to be subscribed going forward. Thank you.

Good read Chad, is this where one puts there thoughts on top five and why?

Last edited:
Back