Good substitute for the Red Wing 107

I've been making this my everyday work shoes for nearly 12 years and it's just about perfect for my needs. The soonest a pair got worn out was just past the three year mark, and that's with long daily walks towards my regular commute.

s-l1600.jpg

Now my current pair is on its third year and that's when I found out $%!@#$@Red Wing discontinued the model. All they have for office work oxfords now are Chinese-made ones featuring cement construction (a construction they themselves said wasn't all that terrific --some people.) I can't find my size in any retailer that still sells dead stock so now I have to look for a substitute. So what make and model has similar features: stitched-not cemented, slip-resistant, water-proof?

Although not made in the USA, back in the day I was impressed with the "Made in England" line of Dr. Marten's. I'm not impressed with the models made in China though (not as comfortable and chincier feeling). Here's their newer Varley line:
25306001.87.jpg

SInce 95% of my work requires outdoor labor, my dressier shoes are limited in use. Additionally, I have severe arthritis in my ankles that makes most dress shoes fit strangely on me (ankles are huge and bulge into the tongue area). Therefore, strangely enough, the inexpensive shoes that often only last a year seem to be the most comfortable for me.

I will say that although now outsourced to China, some Florsheim shoes seem to be of decent quality compared to other "dressy" shoes I've tried on at the discount stores e.g. DWS, FFW, etc. If you're not adverse to higher prices, Ecco seems to have some comfortable office shoes too. I think they now outsource, too.

Corcoran is still USA made. They have a nice black uniform shoe. Maybe it will work for you.

Back