GoRuck moving GR1 production to Vietnam

I would think that you could easily make them in Vietnam, from real Cordura nylon, and sell them for half that. Maxpedition are pretty durable and they sell for well under $200.

I never understood the appeal of the GoRuck bags. There are similar backpacks made in the US with a superior design for half the cost. For a smaller 'featureless empty box' backpack I use an ATS 2.6 - it's light and flat and extremely comfortable due to the wide and thin properly designed straps. Load lifters keep the 'pack high and tight to my back even while running, climbing, and jumping. They're sewn in Kentucky for $150 with an awesome guarantee and work for carrying up to 25 lbs.

I would think that you could easily make them in Vietnam, from real Cordura nylon, and sell them for half that. Maxpedition are pretty durable and they sell for well under $200.

My thoughts exactly.

I never understood the appeal of the GoRuck bags.

They are really well made for hauling ruck plates, if you're into that sort of thing. They blend in to office environments pretty well, too. On the other hand, there are much better bags for the price. I have some Kifaru bags (the Shape Charge rocks!) and had an American-made Mystery Ranch (from before MR offshored a lot of its stuff) and they're both way better for what they cost. I'd bet Tom Bihn would be better for the money, too.

Vietnam is the country of origin of many high end hiking boots and backpacks.

Honestly, this move over to Vietnam made me pick up a USA made GR1. I was fortunate to catch it on sale and with a coupon code, I had it for about $225~.

It's a great pack for rucking. Mine is a bit tacticool, it's multicam black with fluorescent orange trim, but I only use it for training. I will still be giving them some money for their ruck plates, but after that, I can't see myself buying more Goruck.

As for the Vietnamese discussion, I agree that a lot of high end backpacks and footwear are made in Vietnam. I believe some of my Salomons are made there. I just don't see the value in a $295 backpack that isn't USA made. At that point I'd rather have a TAD pack.

Just a bunch of excuses to validate their wanting to make more money by using slave labor in asia. I laughed when he said it was impossible to keep doing it in the usa. Their bags were already hefty in price, compared to simplar bags that are made in the US with no problems, its just some companies get greedy wand want to squeeze out more profit, instead of being happy with their millions a year they already profit.

I love how he said he can take it, to be called a sellout. Well, of course he can, because he is seeing those dollar signs. Every veteran of this great country should spit on his brand and company, that will be destroying jobs here just to make a buck.

I for one, will not touch their brand again.

Last edited:
Just a bunch of excuses to validate their wanting to make more money by using slave labor in asia.

Privatization of industry has exploded in Vietnam and continues to grow as does employment in industry (vs agriculture) and the economy there.

Privatization of industry has exploded in Vietnam and continues to grow as does employment in industry (vs agriculture) and the economy there.

I don't really care who uses asia, just donbt sugar coat it with a buncha excuses like fjallraven does. Its used to amass more money end of story. Don't act all patriotic then go slithering off to asia to increase profits then lie to everyone's faces that its for any other reason then money.

I don't really care who uses asia, just donbt sugar coat it with a buncha excuses like fjallraven does. Its used to amass more money end of story. Don't act all patriotic then go slithering off to asia to increase profits then lie to everyone's faces that its for any other reason then money.
It's the market at work.

Don't buy products from Asia if that's how you feel.

It's the market at work.

Don't buy products from Asia if that's how you feel.

Im aware that lieing to peoples faces is the market at work.

The market at work is also people expressing their distaste for such things.

Back