GossHawk

Been playing around with it a little and found out one thing. The little notch right below the poll where the handle starts. throws some mean sparks with a fire steel. Need to figure out how to post pics. You can get a real comfortabe choked up grip on the handle and use the notch to really throw some sparks. It seams to chop the stuff I have been able to find in my yard. I have notched and fuzzed some stickes pritty good. Hope to get out to the hunting lease sunday and work it more. Man this thing is great. I have been wanting something to complete my trio. Now I have it. PSK, Mini-Tusker, and now the GossHawk (all A-2).

Sounds great. If you don't plan on batoning it, try cord wrapping above the handle scales up to just below the head. Choking up is more comfortable that way.
Scott

Sorry for the delay, new position at work has had me crazy.

I was honored to have Scott ask me to be one of the testers of the new GossHawk. I took the 'hawk along with me to the Wilderness Learning Center, while attending the Basic Survival Course.

I used the 'hawk for everything from making fuzz sticks to chopping through a 6-8" piece of shad plum. The tool did everything I asked of it. After using it for a week(and many others played with it also) it was still shaving sharp!

We gave Scott our opinions and he made some changes as he's already mentioned.

Nice Job Scott!

hayseedw45, thanks for posting your feedback. I appreciate you guys taking the time to give it a workout.
Scott

Still using the Original Gosshawk pretty regular. Used it clearing shooting lanes for the deer season. And just yesterday I used it to quarter up a doe I shot with the bow. Made several hacks through bone even the spine ane the edge held up fine. Still sharp. Not shaving but sharp enough. I will touch it up with some ceramic sticks later . Thats all I have had to use yet. I am still well pleased (could not ask for more) on its performance. I would like to compare it side by side with a new version. Really do not see how it could be that much diffrent. Thanks again Scott for a great tool.

CD, thanks for the review update. I hope to get both designs out for testing. I'm hitting the woods Weds. to bow hunt.
Scott

Thought I would bring this back to the top because I think it is one of Scotts tools that get over looked. I have had my Gosshawk for over a year now and it is great. I keep it constently in my gear bag and have it with me or close by in antime I am out in the field. It got a good work out last year in the deer woods and has been back at it again this year clearing up shooting lanes and getting trees ready to hang stands. I used it in deer camp alot processing wood to. I is great a battoning through wood and splitting it down to make kindling size stuff. I am not a real big battoner with a knife (always seem to think my grandfather is standing over me saying boy dont you know what a ax is for) will on occasions but not much but the Gosshawk excells at it. I have used it several times on bone or various game animals and big fish and it has preformed perfectly. Ans yes I have even used it as a hammer a couple of times. Although it was not the best fit it worked. This boy teamed up with my min-tusker and a psk or wuk jr make up a good trio for me. I will say is has stood up to a year worth of pretty hard use and it no worse for wear. If you thinking about giving the gosshawk a try do it. I do not think you will be sorry.

Back from the depths of the Gossman pool.

Hey Scott, you still doin these?

Any reason you couldnt extend the scales all the way up to the "head"? I see these from differant makers, and it seems like the scales always stop after the "handle".....

Be a good addition to my Gossman toolbox. Id really like to get my hands on one....

J. I still have 4 of them (new design) ready to finish. Once they are gone they're gone. I'm not doing anymore of them. I could take the scales all the way up but it would not allow you to baton the handle below the pole. I actually planned on doing a vid using one for the one stick fire.
Scott

Back