Gossman Knives PSN passaround

Swoops got the knife.:)
First impressions: I like the thickness and form of the handle it fits my hand very well. When carried in the pocket and using the thumb as an opposing lever to remove the knife I would like to there to be some sort of orientation on the sheath maybe just a notch or small hole where the back side of the blade is so that I can be sure how the knife is coming out of the sheath. The knife looks very strong if this was the only blade I had with me I believe that I would not be wanting in an emergency situation. Will try to get out today to take some pix. Thanks

I sent the knife to Marcelo Cantu this AM via USPS Priority. I will post my thoughts later today. Thank you SHS and Scott.

Unfortunately I won't be home tomorrow to receive and sign for the knife as it is my wife and my anniversary and we are currently out of town. I will be able to pick it up on Wednesday at the earliest. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks guys.

I got a chance to play with the PSN today. Here are some first impressions;
I'm no stranger to Scott's knives and therefore have quite high expectations for his knives' performance. This little PSN did not disappoint.

The relatively long handle made holding the knife in various positions pretty intuitive. Scott's handles are a no nonsense aspect of his knives; short on embellishments but long on utility. They are however well though out, with little depressions at just the right spot for greater control, without compromising comfort. The edges are radiused enough to eliminate hot spots but provide great indexing when changing grips.

The 2 1/2" spearpoint blade is an ideal size for every day chores around the house and afield. Two inches of continuous curves running back from the point give this little cutter a great point and plenty fo belly for slicing. There is however enough straight edge at the back for strength and control while whittling. The grinds are even and taper flawlessly from spine to edge.

I checked the edge on my forearm and on some office paper and realized that the edge could use a touch-up. about two minutes on the strop made the edge sharp enough to shave and easily slice free hanging paper. I started out the day opening a bag of wood pellets. Laser. Bag of dog food. Laser. I had to flatten a few cardboard boxes, lightsaber. Later today I had the opportunity to make some tent stakes, fuzz sticks and just shavings. Easy, easy , easy.

Overall I am very pleased with this knife. I feel it would be most useful for when you know you have to do a lot of cutting throughout the day but don't want a full size knife at your side. For more casual around town days I'd prefer to carry a PSK Jr simply due to weight. This is a stout little big knife.

My recommendations are as follows: Drilling out a few holes in the tang would make the knife a little lighter around the neck. As for the sheath, I'd add a drain hole or mold a drain channel to the kydex sheath to facilitate rinsing, and to use hollow rivets on it for more carry options.

I cannot find our digital camera anywhere so I'll have to take some pics with Tony's camera when I get the knife to him and pass them off as mine. I'm sorry about that and I'm grateful for the opporunity to check this knife out.

Pics to follow.:eek:

I feel it would be most useful for when you know you have to do a lot of cutting throughout the day but don't want a full size knife at your side. For more casual around town days I'd prefer to carry a PSK Jr simply due to weight. This is a stout little big knife.

My recommendations are as follows: Drilling out a few holes in the tang would make the knife a little lighter around the neck. As for the sheath, I'd add a drain hole or mold a drain channel to the kydex sheath to facilitate rinsing, and to use hollow rivets on it for more carry options.

Hollow pins maybe? Would that be enough?

Last edited:
Tony won't be letting me use his camera :grumpy:. He said I'll have to use mine once he gives it back to me. Seems I left it in his car :eek:. I'll shoot some pics later today.

Dan, As for the pins vs hollow pins; That would be up to Scott and the individual who orders. I like the brass pins actually & I don't think that would make much of a weight difference. Prehaps dilling enough holes to bring the balance point up to the index finger, right now it is at the middle finger.

Marcelo has his camera now and I think is taking some more pics.

I got to handle the knife for a lil yesterday, but not enough.....

I will get the knife from Marcelo this weekend and hopefully give it a work out on Tuesday.

My first impressions of the knife are all good!

Here are some shots, while you wait for Marcelo's pics.

Scott, it's a Citizen Ecozilla Ti. I got it on the seconday market on the forums. I only have more of the same as Tony's pics except for this one.

P1000859.jpg

Tony, check your email, routing change. Great pics btw, Marcelo looks like he had a good time (did he even let you use it Tony :D).

Im gettin all anxious for my turn!!!!:eek:

I love it!!:thumbup:

Man, I need me one of them shirts! Too cool.:cool::thumbup:

man.. i really like the looks of this knife.. i wish i would have jumped in on the passaround...:eek:

oh.. i want one of those shirts too....:D

You didnt Mike????

Maybe it will work out time wise, and make its way here in time for me to take it out to Cali for you to check out.

As far as the Tees, Scott just needs to let us know where we can get one!!!

Well I got the knife over the weekend. I spent quite a bit of time handling it, but have not had a chance to really play with it. Did sneak in some time with it today though.

Like all of Scotts knives; the fit and finish are excellent! The handle shape is well thought out. The edges are nicely rounded making it comfortable in just about every grip I could think of. The full length of the handle makes using this neck knife a pleasure! I really had a nice secure grip, which allowed me to put alot of power bwhind my cuts.
I have always been a fan of spear points and this one did not dissapoint me. It drilled really well.
The edge was sharp when I got it, but not as sharp as some of my other Gossman knives; this was expected as it is a passaround knife.

My schedule didn't permit me to get out and use the knife much, so I decided to make a figure 4 trap, Fuzz a few sticks, and also drill a bit.
Here are some pics.

It cut well, but not as great as some other Gossmans I have handled. I think it was partly due to the sharpness and the edge being a lil thick. I compared it to a PSK Senior that Marcelo had. The senior had a slightly thinner edge which allowed it to bite deeper. If this PSN were my knife I would thin the edge a bit.

The Kydex sheath was very well made and held the knife secure. I agree with Marcelo in using hollow rivets in the kydex allowing for multiple carry options. As a neck knife it is a lil heavy, but not too uncomfortable with the right rig. I retied the neck lanyard to be able to adjust. It also makes it more comfortable with the double cord against your neck than the 1.

All said and done, it is a tank of a knife. It offers a ton of power in a small package.

Thank you Scott and SilentHunter for the opportunity to participate!

The knife will be off to Mapper66 tomorrow AM

Thanks for the pics and review Tony. As with any of my knives I have a set standard finished edge that I do. It can be altered to suit an individuals needs. I'm not fond of zero edges. If an edge doesn't pass my elk antler test, then it's too thin for hard use.
Thanks again Tony :thumbup:
Scott

Back