Got a sweet katana

My dad got this at a flea market/knife store closing sale a few years ago and gave it to me for Christmas. He gave it to me for "killing zombies" and that's what I intend to use it for. lol. I'm not going to sell it. It was from my dad and I think looks very cool.

My question, is this thing legit? I don't want to take a swing at a zombie and have the sword break in my hands!

What I know: It's definitely steel. A magnet sticks to it. And it is incredibly sharp! My Japanese friend translated the writing and he texted me "It says 'Special Steel' and the top part is the brand name. Katsukura or something" I searched the internet and found nothing.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

United Cutlery. Don't know how zombie-safe it would be - I don't know what kind of sins United Cutlery might have committed in these things. There's also the question of what alloy it's made of. It's a stainless steel. If 420J2 (which UC used in plenty of swords), it'll be plenty tough (but with relatively poor edge retention). I don't know if they used 440C for katanas - if heat treated hard, 440C can be rather undesirably brittle.

If there's a pin you can remove to take the hilt off, at least you can see what's inside. Looks like the grip core is plastic with a rayskin-like pattern - that's a good start, since that's a strong and reliable construction, better than poorly-done wood, or low-quality wood.

Back