Got a Victorinox Spirit X the other day.

For pliers based multitool, Spirit X is probably my favorite. Great selection of tools, fit and finish is great, relatively light weight and elegant like a light saber.

I've been wanting one for years, but I can't justify the cost. When I do a chore that I could use the Spirit on, I'm always within easy distance of a toolbox.II'm a bit of a minimalist and it bothers me to have things I don't use.

Someone convince me that an urban office dweller who doesn't own a car or a house will put a Spirit to good use.

I got a few Spirit X's around 2013 as a replacement to my first gen Leatherman Supertool. I love them. They've gotten a lot pricier since I purchased mine!

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 9.55.02 PM.jpg

I recently purchased a spirt x myself. I love everything about it except the pliers do no open wide as my wave and I have found it not as capable for a slightly larger bolt that a wave can turn. My only nitpick is that the pliers could open up a tad wider. Outside of that its fantastic.

My favorite pliers-based multi-tool is my Spirit, but it’s not the X. Mine has a serrated sheepsfoot blade instead of scissors. I used to wear it on my belt everyday, it now only use it doing chores around my property. I bought it in 2010.

I also have several Leatherman tools I had tried out at various times since the early 2000s, prior to the Spirit. The Leatherman tools are good, but I would take the Spirit over any those any day. I already knew the quality of Victorinox products from years of using SAKs.

I have heard some people report other brands of pliers-based multi-tools cracking or snapping after awhile, usually around the pliers head; I’ve heard of that happening to some Gerber, Leatherman and SOG tools, but I’ve never heard of that happening to a Victorinox multi-tool.

Jim

Back