Got a win at the Pawn Shop today!

YwfJkIZ.jpg

lyrCCwS.jpg

There is a chain of pawnshops up here in Canada. And they have a website where you can check their inventory, and I saw this listed in the next Provence for only$20cad!! ($15.10us). Well it was a bit of a gong show because they are not actually set up for shipping. They had to put it on ebay because of their silly store policy. But paid $20 cad shipping and gave them another $15 for the trouble. So in total I paid $55 cad or about $42.50us.

pxDommQ.jpg

Unfortunately the screw is mangled and the clip is missing but I feel like I got a deal of a lifetime!

syIRrlH.jpg

I really like this knife. I handled the Aus 8 version years ago, and I feel like this version is a huge improvement. Even the coating on the blade seems better. It fits my hand perfectly and it simply feels solid. No wonder why everyone loves this knife.

YwfJkIZ.jpg

lyrCCwS.jpg

There is a chain of pawnshops up here in Canada. And they have a website where you can check their inventory, and I saw this listed in the next Provence for only$20cad!! ($15.10us). Well it was a bit of a gong show because they are not actually set up for shipping. They had to put it on ebay because of their silly store policy. But paid $20 cad shipping and gave them another $15 for the trouble. So in total I paid $55 cad or about $42.50us.

pxDommQ.jpg

Unfortunately the screw is mangled and the clip is missing but I feel like I got a deal of a lifetime!

syIRrlH.jpg

I really like this knife. I handled the Aus 8 version years ago, and I feel like this version is a huge improvement. Even the coating on the blade seems better. It fits my hand perfectly and it simply feels solid. No wonder why everyone loves this knife.

Nice score! Check with Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives ...may be able to get a replacement clip and thumb stud.

Good deal! Congrats. XHP versions are getting pretty rare, nice score.

Thanks man! The listing just said Cold Steel XHP used condition. So I bought it unseen just because of the XHP. :cool:

Nice score! Check with Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives ...may be able to get a replacement clip and thumb stud.

Awesome, I hope they can. I was pricing out aftermarket clips and I was kinda surprised at the lack of choice and the prices. For now I am gonna use the clip off my XL.

Nice find! Looks in pretty great shape minus the thumb stud. Could always smooth out the stripped side with a file or something. Consider me jealous of the XHP!

You are the first person I’ve ever seen that paid a pawn shop more than they were asking. LoL

LOL so true!! :D but I figured that by sending a few extra bucks for the trouble. It would grease the wheels in case I find another knife in another Provence in the future.

Another awesome pawn shop deal !!!

Are you going to contact Cold Steel for a pocket clip and new thumbstud?

I'd remove the thumbstud and sand it a bit to remove burrs and see how it looks. If it's functional I probably wouldnt' look to replace it. Definitely contact CS for a new clip at least.

I'd remove the thumbstud and sand it a bit to remove burrs and see how it looks. If it's functional I probably wouldnt' look to replace it. Definitely contact CS for a new clip at least.

Just make sure the screwdriver fits perfect...the studs are usually very tight and if the screwdriver tip is too loose, or too thick so that it only goes partially into the slot, it'll just mangle it more.

Another awesome pawn shop deal !!!

Are you going to contact Cold Steel for a pocket clip and new thumbstud?

Yep, gonna order it asap.

Just make sure the screwdriver fits perfect...the studs are usually very tight and if the screwdriver tip is too loose, or too thick so that it only goes partially into the slot, it'll just mangle it more.

Good advise, I assume it looks this way because they use locktite?

Just a heads up on removing the thumbstud on a Cold Steel folder they tend to Loctite them in really good.It will be a pain to remove without applying heat to the area. My quess is the previous owner has no such luck.Is why the slot is soo screwed up.

Last edited:
Agreed. Gunsmith sets of hollow ground bits are usually available pretty cheaply and I'd highly recommend them. Having a bit that's the right size and hollow ground will really save your screws.

Very nice...much respect..... Just might be a loyal Cold Steel lifer..... HOMEZ :cool:

Again a very nice guesture from cold steel

Very nice...much respect..... Just might be a loyal Cold Steel lifer..... HOMEZ :cool:
Again a very nice guesture from cold steel

I'm defiantly gonna buy something new from Cold Steel. Trying to find something still left in XHP at my local knife store. My choices are the Code 4, and the Hold Out. Is the Code 4 basically a aluminum handled recon?

The Code 4 is basically an aluminium handled recon.It is alot slimmer and slightly wide.Not too sure on the holdout,only had the XL 6" version the handles were slim but the overall circumference was not comfortable or ergonomic.

UPDATE!!!! Look what arrived in the mail yesterday!!

(Sorry for the bad pics )

F0tlpUY.jpg

CzjvmjT.jpg

pc2UneJ.jpg

fIfO7VI.jpg

kukfGQC.jpg

Man I still can't thank the folks at Cold Steel enough for their generosity. :cool::thumbsup:

I'm planning on buying something new, but been having trouble making my mind up. The stores here in Canada still have a few knives in XHP, but they are serrated. Not super keen on serrated. What's the difference between a Hold out II, and a Hold out II large?

Back