Got any customized Schrades?

Wow! Is that made out of an 858? I'd love to see what Herman would do with an IXL Schrade jumbo (4 7/8") stockman!

VERY nice Charlie! He sure does have a talent with switching blades around. I recently saw an 8OT that he fiddled around with. Left the big clip in and installed a large spey or spear (I don't recall which) on the opposite side, kind of like a moose layout. It looked great.

Eric

i beleive it was a spey eric. yes those are 1 of a kinds--alot of fun to see what he can do--he told me he enjoyed doing this sort of thing but since his move he had to let alot of his eqiupment go. its not as easy for him to make reblades as before. but with his talent the bare esentials are usually enough!!!
boy thats one to have charlie---nice!
---brady

ok i'll come clean--------uno mos senor williams:D

Attachments

• h.williams885uh#2.jpg
    h.williams885uh#2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 44
  • h.williams885uh#3.jpg
    h.williams885uh#3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 35
  • h.williams885uh#1.jpg
    h.williams885uh#1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 41
Ok its winter time and Im laid off for a few weeks. I usually send my stuff to dale(Orvet) for all my custom work but I took this on trade a week ago. Ive been wanting to do something in snakewood but its so expensive. So I compromised and got a cut of snakewood that was a little less appealing and also less expensive. Some of it has more of a purplish line in it but whatever. Its nothing great but my pics dont help either. What'd ya think??? - Joel
Here is the before pic...
152snakewook010.jpg

And after...
152snakewook002.jpg

152snakewook004.jpg

152snakewook003.jpg

152snakewook009.jpg

hal thanks for the matches I knew they would come in handy,LOL

I would like to be in on the first deer you skin with that sharpfinger. Very well done on the handle. Looks like the blade has a sharp edge too.

Joel,
Great job on that one! That snakewood sure is pretty, even the cheaper stuff!

Nice work Joel!
Darn, I loose more customers that way! :D:D

Watch out, you will find knife repair & customization is more addictive than collecting! :eek:

Dale

Thanks fellas, and dont worry dale when It comes to folders your the only man for my knives,LOL thanks again. I would have never been able to build a knife like that without the help and guidance from you dale. Just think I only had to send ya about 200 emails with questions over the last three years to be able to build some knives, - Joel

very nice joel!!!--beautiful grain too!!
dont worry dale, us knife hackers on old beaters just will never catch up to you buddy, when i look at the old 8ot i filed on it makes me laugh----thats the point of it all isn;t it? seeya brady

Joel & Brady,
You guys can do it, all it takes is a box of parts knives, good files & lots of practice.
Everyone now & then I see one of my older knives & cringe that I put out a knife that looked that bad.
I am almost done with a 225 for a good customer & I think it is some of the best filework I have done to date, esp as regards matching the two springs.

I am having a major problem though......my hands. I have so much arthritis in my hands I don't know how much longer I can do this, esp the filework. It kills my hands. The second worse part is hand sanding.

I go see the hand surgeon February th I think it is. I need 2 surgical procedures on my right hand & 1 on my left hand. I have put it off for a year & half and hope I can wait until after the April OKCA show.

Keep working on it guys. You can do it!

Dale

thanks for the "ray of hope" dale! we'll keep trying! good luck on your surgery, i'll bet they fix you right up. when your hands get healed i want some of that filework also. if your customer will allow please do post some pics.............brady

OK guys, here you go. Since Dave asked for it & he is the customer, I guess it is OK to show it.

Remember, this is a work-in-progress.

The file work was challenging on a couple levels.
1- It was the first time I had attempted such a complex pattern where the points on the two springs needed to match up. To do that I pinned the 2 springs together with a brass pin, laid out the pattern, rotated the spring and filed one of the springs and then filed the other one to match the points. It came up far better than I feared but not as well as I had hoped. There is a bit more polishing to do back here yet.
2- The second complicating factor is that my hands decided they were going to punish me for not having had two surgical procedures on my right hand a year and a half ago when I first talked with the doctor about it. My left thumb decided it would join in the fray also. I may end up having surgery on it too. That's going to keep me from working on knives and from Bass fishing this summer.

The pile side is ready for bolster finishing & waxing the wood. I added some threading to the front bolsters. I think they just look neat!

So far so good, until we come to the mark side of the knife.
I got a phone call last week early one morning & went out to the shop for something. I was telling my buddy on the phone that I was almost done with this 225. I said yeah, “it has real nice desert Iron Wood on it. I picked it up & the light caught it just right……”Oh cr--! It has a pin crack!” So the mark side is now stripped and I have started on another scale getting it planed it to thickness. Then it needs to be glued, pinned, hafted, sanded, polished and waxed. Of course in that process you always manage to scuff the bolster, so you have to re-polish it.
The longest part of the process is about 48 hours to cure out the epoxy. I know, it is supposed to cure completely in 6-8 hours. Well, maybe in Arizona in July, but not in Oregon in February. Not even when I take it into the living room to cure.

The scratch on the rear bolster is actually on my old scanner, not the knife.

Well guys, there it is. I hope you like it so far Dave. If you see anything you want changed, now is the time to say so.

I am open to feedback from all you guys also. For those of you who want to do their own, now is a good time to ask about it if you have any questions.

BTW Dave, I have a little buffing to do on the LB-3 and it is ready to go too.

Hope you guys liked it,
Dale

Dale,
Thanks for posting the pics. It looks FANTASTIC!! The bolster threading sets it off nicely, the filework is everything I asked for, and the ironwood looks great!!! Sorry to hear about the setbacks, both with the knife and your hands. But take care of your hands as soon as you can. The knives can wait!

As for the bass fishing, well, that's one of life's little pleasures it's going to suck to miss out on.:( I really feel for you on that one.

Again, Dale, BEAUTIFUL work!

Dave

Last edited:
Beautiful job Dale! It must be quite a chore matching a vine pattern up with all those freehand curves involved. I sure hope the surgery doesn't put you out of commission for too long, especially with the double whammy of knife making AND bass fishing involved.

Eric

:thumbup:dale thats absolutly amazing!!!!!--you dont give yourself enough credit----so i will. the matching spring work is a really really nice touch. all that beautiful filework requires amazing talent, which you have-----now i really do want some--------after your healed of course. take care of yourself and our best wishes will be with you----------brady:)

Back