Got it narrowed down to three...

I spoke to Suzanne yesterday ( What a cool lady!!! ), and got some great info on hawks and throwing. I just love the fact that these are American made with 1095 cutting edges. They look like they'll last forever! My problem is I want three different models ( that isn't the problem ) but can only afford one right now.

The three I am interested in are 1) Field Grade Spike, 2) Field Grade Light Infantry 3) Field Grade Minuteman.

I don't really need a spike, but they look cool, and maybe the Spike would throw better? Perhaps the Light Infantry would be the best because it would be great for camping as well. But maybe it would be limited as a weapon because it is heavier and lacks the spike. Maybe the Minuteman would be ideal because it is simple and lower cost? Heck, I don't know...

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. :D
Luke

I have the frontiersmen which is similar to the field grade spike, it throws great and you can overrotate and the spike will stick into the tree which is fun. usually about 3 paces back form your normal distance will hit the back end. I never used it but i'd imagine the light infantry would be harder to throw because of it's weight.

So I guess if you want a hawk that looks really badass and is fun to throw go with the spike or frontiersmen, if you want something for pure utility while camping/chopping go with the light infantry, and if you wanna save money or have a more light and simplistic hawk go with the minuteman.

I was actually originally gonna buy the minuteman but they where temporarily sold out so I went with the Frontiersmen and was not disapointed in the least, in fact in retrospect i'm kinda glad there was trouble with the minuteman (although i'm still considering it someday, still hoping they come out with the pipe hawk tho).

Right now I am thinking the Light Infantry or the Minuteman. Does anyone know how well the Light Infantry will throw? Seems like it would almost be like a hatchet in a way.

Thanks for the replies Brody. Any comments on using your hawk for chopping wood(delimbing and small trees)? I'd like to replace the need for a hatchet with a hawk because it is more versatile.

LOL - Brody, you threw a fourth choice in there with the Frontierman!

The Light Infantry throws like a monster. It does throw and all of them throw well but you have to have to put some ass behind it. It's heavy. Not many people use it for throwing. But it's a great camp axe. You'll drive tent pegs in one slam, cut down trees, cut kindling, with a good knife you'll be able to gut your game and then quarter it out with the hawk.

The Minuteman is the type they throw at the Renaissance Festivals to win free beer. At least the Ren Fests I go to. :D And I win a LOT of beer. It throws very well.

If you get the spike then you can break up roots, rocks, dig a little, destroy 2x4's, break down doors, etc. Plus you can stick the spike like Brody does and although it does weaken the spike eventually; we still guarantee them for life.

Haha, I should start breaking down doors with my frontiersmen... HEEEEERES JOHNNY! ...come to think of it I did that once with a CS battle axe. Yea I have used my hawk to chop down small trees (maybe 6 inch diameter) and for some limbing and it works well for both although i'd imagine the light infantry would do it even better but throw worse. Personally If I was looking at the light infantry for a camp axe i'd probably go up a notch and get the rainer belt axe but then again that would probably be even harder to throw, speaking of that is the pass-around still going on or did some problems arise?

"LOL - Brody, you threw a fourth choice in there with the Frontierman!"

Ha yea, I always prefered the more simplistic look of it compared to the kinda curvy field grade spike. Plus that book was great.

At the Renaissance Faire I went to they had heavy all metal strange shaped double blade spear pointed axes and you won nothing for it but payed $2 to play... not as fun as free beer and a minuteman.

Back