Got KA-BAR 1282 D2! OR should of got two 1095s instead? Just askin is all. :D

OK people I need some eagle eye hindsight Advice I can use for future wisdom.

I got a KA-BAR 1282 D2 knife on pure impulse, it felt like a right decisions and still does. But looking back thru my elcheaponess glasses, halfass hindsight says I should of gotten TWO 1095 steel KA-BARs for the price of this one about I got on sale. This isn't buyers remorse, just wondering if I got it right this time for me. Usually I get two of the same or slightly different things, in case one is lost or one gets broke. But this 1282 D2 one seems that it will fill the role well by itself.

It will fill the role of general purpose all work field, utility and general carry for cutting and general abuse.

And for the newbie questions is what aspects of the knife makes it better than the 1095 KA-BARs? I'm just curious.

Feeling the knife in my hand I feel I got the right knife for its purpose so I'm keeping it till some how I break it, relatives steal it or the canoe goes over and its not on my belt.

Oh got the knife for just over $109.

I got other knives like large ones for other things but this one I feel gives me a good over lap between them and the shorter hunting knives I use.

Yes I'm a sinful knife user and abuser. :beaten:

Welcome!

Its a great choice!

You gain edge retention and rust resistance with D2. You can't go wrong because its the same design . Stick around for a while, we like pictures!

That's really nice. Expensive, but nice! :D

Yeah for me it is. :D But I was thinking BK-7 then realized I never replaced the old KA-BAR and saw D2 one for a few bucks more...some thing clicked. Ran over the purposes I needed it for, my other larger knives can do a lot of the things the BK-7 could step up to but some times smaller is better. Its going to fill the Large, medium (or 2 which is an old timer for me) and small knives (yes more than one) combo I like to carry. One can never have to many blades in the field.

Hell, at $109 you stole eggs and bought it! I'm glad you like it. Enjoy you new aquisition. Tell us how it performs in the field, won't you?

D2 Extreme all the way. I love the hell outta mine and it does hold an edge longer.

Plus...looks cool too....

Moose

The D2 is great, hold an edge forever. Sold mine because I didn't like the combo edge though. Will definitely buy another if they ever make it plain edged.

I got mine because of the serrations, figure D2 steel is better to have a knife with serrations. And it was on sale and I need a good multi-use knife this size. Also I wanted a Ka-Bar so I guess this one fit. Although I normally would of got two 1095 CV KA-BARs with one straight and one serrated but this one just sang to me.

The precursor to the extreme model was the next generation fighting knife.
Notable features which varied from the standard f/u were,
A shortened top guard which allowed better positioning of one's thumb.
An Extended lower pommel which acts like a stop;
Which also allows a lanyard hole feature.
Partial serrations and sadly,
the now missing sharpened false edge.
Ground breaking use of kraton handles.
With an ambidexterous left or right handed synthetic kydex sheath.
That was why it was the next generation ka-bar.
Today it is sort of an anomaly
A reminder that some visions don't always quite take the world by storm.
Who know's if it's a matter related to cost effectiveness?
Or that nobody was quite prepared to embrace such product improvements or drastic make overs
For something so sacred and generic like the f/u.
Either way, it isn't exactly high tech by today's standards.
And logically one would spend to fit the need.
So that two knives for the price of one
May be a logical decision.
Knowing very well that all materials
Have their breaking points.
It is best to work within the limitations presented.
Once a preffered design fearure is selected.

Last edited:
OK this thing is just proving to be too useful...maybe two 1095s would of been a good idea as a relative already snatched it for a camping trip after I got some dang fishing line globs and an sunken fishing net cut up and out of the water at a family cabin so others can swim safely there...but then with all the use its getting this probably was the right decision! Oh yeah a great decision!

Please if you clean your reel of line on a lake don't throw the line in to the water, take it to camp and burn it if you don't want to save it.

Love my D2 Extreme, and it looks really slick when it's stripped - the D2 blade steel takes on a nice gray tone. Definitely one of the toughest hard use knives made, but I'd say get the standard 1095 version as well. One can never have too many Kabars.

We have to make sure the D2 Extreme doesn't fall into the wrong hands. With this knife plankton really could rule the world. (If you watch Spongebob Squarepants, you know what I mean.)

~Chris

We have to make sure the D2 Extreme doesn't fall into the wrong hands. With this knife plankton really could rule the world. (If you watch Spongebob Squarepants, you know what I mean.)

~Chris

Exactly. Because he would shiv Mr. Crabs then steal the secret formula then he and Karen would put Bikini Bottom under complete and absolute oppression with their zombie bucket helmets! Then it would be up to Larry Lobster and Sandy Squirrel to win back the town and make it all better! (Yes I watch too many cartoons)

What is the "Powdered Metal" hilt and but cap made out of? I saw some places say its D2...

And how strong is the Powdered Metal butt cap compared to the blade for use?

What is the "Powdered Metal" hilt and but cap made out of? I saw some places say its D2...

And how strong is the Powdered Metal butt cap compared to the blade for use?

The following thread discusses this:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1012054-Pommel-Strength

Toooj commented on the pommels in the tech talk thread a while back - not sure the actual material is mentioned anywhere though:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/872443-KA-BAR-Tech-Talk?p=10925607#post10925607

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/872443-KA-BAR-Tech-Talk?p=10905689#post10905689

~Chris

Thanks that answered a lot of questions I had! This knifes is turning in to a daily cut stab and slash knife. I'm probably going to have to get a s straight edge 1095 for a middlen duty sized knife fer the wilderhood. This one is just proving to dang useful to trust it will not be forgotten at some place I used it before a trip.

And I think a blue whale ate Plankton.

The military surplus store in town here in Perth Western Australia , has a d2 extreme , it must be an older model as it even has the eagle sheath. Why has it not sold ? They want $315 Aussie dollars for it lol

Just got my eighth Ka-Bar/Becker knife, today. It's a #1282, D2 Extreme, with the glass filled, plastic sheath. I'd wanted to get the #1281, which has a ballistic nylon, Molle adaptable sheath, but none were available... The knife is awesome to hold, being properly balanced, for either handheld knife fighting, or throwing, baseball style. That last isn't for me- I'll stick with a suppressed Sig P226 TACOPS, thanks...

The #1282, D2 Extreme, exudes solid design, strength, and latent menace. It's pommel, described by another forum member as a "dog's head," is well made, ready to provide a subtle reminder as to which is harder- metal, or one's noggin. From the gripey Krayton G handle, to the thick, "wicked sharp" blade edge, it's not a toy, but a skillfully crafted, lethal weapon. You can "slice, dice, julienne fry, Ginsu" to your heart's content- or if necessary, take out the trash. Different tools, for different tasks...

Fortunately, my local cutlery shop stocks DMT sharpeners, so I already had one for my EDC- of which this D2 Extreme will become an integral part. Will have to save up enough for a second one, and maybe even a third... Of course, they'll all go to my children, one day, hopefully not too soon... In the mean time, it will shoulder the burden of "every day" life...

Bravo Zulu, Ka-Bar/Becker... Well Done...

exRonin1949

I got a new one of these last weekend!I had to replace my old one I gave to a mate a while ago.
He uses it for cutting marine carpet in his upholstery shop!
He liked it so much I let him keep it.
This one has the new high grind as per the WW2 specs,like it a lot!

Boy that OP sounds like newbie!

Well...still have mine. :D

The knife taught me one thing, I hate serrations! Other wise its a nice knife that isn't a niche knife, its a general light to medium duty blade. Handy when going netting thanks to the serrations so they have their place.

On a few trips...rescued it from relatives why wanted to baton a rail road spike and another a rock on separate trips hearing how "Tough!" D2 steel was...I told them its a knife not a rock/steel chisel!

I toss my 1282 in a pack mostly because its nice to know its there. Its spared the heavy duty use I use other knives that are better suited for those tasks. As a walk around belt dangler that's light and able to do a mirade of tasks this one has proven to work okishly where the serrations actually are of use. I don't "SUPER UBER HEAVY TASK USE" the knife because its more useful the sharp way it is for cutting things and actually using the serrations for some useful notching tasks. I found it can light saber its way through larger fish and deer when I forgot the main big critter cutting knife.

About the only thing I can say about it to sum it all up is. E'h, it works!

I ordered a 1213 from a web site and got a 1211 in a 1213 sheath, it proved to me the D2 Extreme would be great with a straight edge.

I could Tacti-Test my Ka-bars to see how long it would take to break them, but that is just plain dumb for such nice tools, but they are to useful for their utilitarian tasks they get used for. Some how I got way more knives than I did back then so my knife rotation is pretty big now and things don't get used as much for some strange reason.

Serrations are not for everyone, nor are they best for all the time. For me, as long as they're kept razor sharp, whatever knife I have, will do what I need. The D2 Extreme, which is serrated, is now my primary fixed blade EDC. It, as well as a pair of Zero Tolerance folders, types #0301 and #0303, are my constant companions.
When Ka-Bar makes the equal, or better of the Ken Onion design, I'll be totally Ka-Bar/Becker in the edge department, just like I'm totally committed to Sig Sauer's P226 TACOPS. Above all, performance and reliability are paramount. At sixty-eight, I have no margin for error, and little time to react. Hence, Ka-Bar, ZT, and Sig.

Those that yearn for a straight edged D2 Extreme, need to marshal their forces, and lobby Ka-Bar for it's inclusion in their lineup. Like in "Field of Dreams," perhaps "Build it, and they will come" relates to products, as well as baseball fields and stadiums. Show enough interest, enough people willing to spend their hard earned dollars, and Ka-Bar will not only listen, but do what people want...

Back