Got KA-BAR 1282 D2! OR should of got two 1095s instead? Just askin is all. :D

On Saturday, I received my two #8017S sheaths, for my two D2 Extremes, #1282. Much prefer the Cordura/ballistic nylon sheaths vis-à-vis the "standard" glass filled, hard plastic sheaths that they came with... I wear both D2's, one with überleben Zünden 3/8" fire steel in the outside pouch, and the other has the DMT #FSKE and #FWEF sharpeners- straight edge and serrated... I took out the plastic liner for the BK13, on the outside of the BK9, and have another #FWEF in it's pouch. Naturally, I have another überleben Zünden 3/8" fire steel residing in one of my 511 vest's pockets, with, of course, another #FWEF sharpener... Finally replaced pocket clips on my ZT 0301 and ZT 0303 folders. My EDC is partially made up with my ZTs and my D2's... They compliment my two P226 TACOPS... Hey! At sixty-eight, that's how I lift weights! Can't shoot dumbbells, or slice, dice, or julienne fry, Ginsu them, either! Forty-nine years ago, I was learning that it was better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have... Times haven't changed, ever since Ogg discovered that two rocks didn't weigh much more than just one... Each day reinforces my belief that, for me, Ka-Bar makes the best straight edged combat knives... Glad I finally got wise...

What knife would you recommend for a beginner knife-user? I need it for EDC and some rare camping activities. I was thinking of buying it here https://www.gorillasurplus.com/ka-bar-knives. Are the prices ok?
Welcome to the Forum. Stick around and check back often. That is a loaded question right there :D Your going to get a lot of opinions for sure. My view on it is.... As long as it says Ka-Bar on it. It's all Good:thumbsup::thumbsup: Find the one that fits your particular needs,wants,and legal confines and go for it. As long as it's made by Ka-Bar that is lol

What knife would you recommend for a beginner knife-user? I need it for EDC and some rare camping activities. I was thinking of buying it here https://www.gorillasurplus.com/ka-bar-knives. Are the prices ok?

Those prices are a little high. If you’re looking at Canadian websites, I usually check prices at W&W first.

The d2 version suits Manchester weather better than the original. I’m really glad I didn’t rush in and buy a 1095.

Which has the best sheath? 1281, 1282 or 1283?

The d2 version suits Manchester weather better than the original. I’m really glad I didn’t rush in and buy a 1095.

Which has the best sheath? 1281, 1282 or 1283?

Best is relative. Do you prefer one type of material over another? The only difference between model numbers is which sheath comes with the knife. (For historical posting info - 1281 is Cordura, 1282 is plastic, 1283 is leather.)

Leather is for traditionalists. It's also quiet in the woods. Can be attacked by mold, get contaminated if exposed to chemicals, easily cut by accident, ...... yada yada yada all the prolems "modern" folks despise leather, even though it has worked well for thousands of years.

The cordura is nice, and has a pouch for a sharpening stone, fire starter, match safe, etc. It doesn't make a lot of noise when whacked into a tree branch or rock while hiking. Hard to clean, but less susceptible environmental damage. It has 2 retention straps, 1 each high and low for over the handle. Secure both, top, bottom or neither - your choice. Molle compatible, belt loop, some lashing holes for securing to a pack.

The plastic is really easy to clean if it gets dirty, mucky, bloody. 2 blade retention mechanisms - ledge that pops over the guard and a handle strap. Very versatile in mounting - Molle compatible, multiple lashing points, belt loop. Yes, it clacks somewhat when whacked.

Yes, I have all 3 and use them as I feel like.:D I prefer the plastic when working in dirty/mucky environments, the Cordura for hiking/camping situations and leather for general daily carry/use when I use one of my D2 Extremes for farm work.

Best is relative. Do you prefer one type of material over another? The only difference between model numbers is which sheath comes with the knife. (For historical posting info - 1281 is Cordura, 1282 is plastic, 1283 is leather.)

Leather is for traditionalists. It's also quiet in the woods. Can be attacked by mold, get contaminated if exposed to chemicals, easily cut by accident, ...... yada yada yada all the prolems "modern" folks despise leather, even though it has worked well for thousands of years.

The cordura is nice, and has a pouch for a sharpening stone, fire starter, match safe, etc. It doesn't make a lot of noise when whacked into a tree branch or rock while hiking. Hard to clean, but less susceptible environmental damage. It has 2 retention straps, 1 each high and low for over the handle. Secure both, top, bottom or neither - your choice. Molle compatible, belt loop, some lashing holes for securing to a pack.

The plastic is really easy to clean if it gets dirty, mucky, bloody. 2 blade retention mechanisms - ledge that pops over the guard and a handle strap. Very versatile in mounting - Molle compatible, multiple lashing points, belt loop. Yes, it clacks somewhat when whacked.

Yes, I have all 3 and use them as I feel like.:D I prefer the plastic when working in dirty/mucky environments, the Cordura for hiking/camping situations and leather for general daily carry/use when I use one of my D2 Extremes for farm work.

I picked up one with a plastic sheath. Perfect for a dirty muddy site.

I love it.

I like the plastic sheath on my 1282, I use it more as a specialty knife now a days or when its needed like cut up a massive tangle of fishing line under water, where its sharp serrated edge really does come in handy. Also works great general stuff, when it comes to abuse stuff is what I got my 1211 that was to be a 1212 but they the 1211 in a 1212 sheath. :D I didn't care I just wanted a regular Ka-bar with a straight edge for more mundane stuff with the plastic sheath.

Back