Got Recurve? Show me!!

I did try the Katz Alleycat, because the recurve seemed very slight. I the end, even that proved unsharpenable, and I got rid of it.

AlleyCat.jpg

I find that the only proper way to sharpen any knife is using a flat Dia-Sharp hone, and its flat surface had great trouble getting in there at the back of the Katz, even using just the corners in tricky ways... A rod sharpener is drastically inferior in my view, and gives no "shadow" reference for maintaining a correct angle. I consider such edges a functional mistake.

I often thought about getting the SOG Fatcat, but in the end I knew what would eventually happen: I would get dissatisfied with the rear edge, and would get rid of it... For a similar size folder I opted instead for the old, very heavy and clumsy Al Mar SERE 3003. Quite beautiful in its own right.

59b8329fbf6392e56283eb6f4b439345.jpg

SEREAttack3002a_Up.jpg

Gaston

Last edited:
to each their own, I guess. Sharpening a recurve ain't easy, but not impossible; they sure are not for everybody.

Not sure I absolutely love or hate recurves, but do have a few mild ones. I have not had any problem sharpening them. Just a different learning "curve". [emoji12]

2hfjvif.jpg

Doh! Forgot my BK4 and a few others.

damn tommy, the coat on that cs khuk is out of this world!

A few recurves I made a long time ago. I took quite a break from knife making. The real big one in brass and blue was the one that had other people wanting a recurve for themselves. The big one was a leaf spring. the others were mainly really large files.

Last edited:
That photo bucket third party hosting thing is really messing with a lot of these people posting on here. I had all of mine blocked and I didn't really have many on there.

Back