GPS recommendations?

Skidoosh

Gold Member
I'm looking at a Garmin 64sx GPS, I've not used one in a long time but where I live has spotty or non-existant cell coverage (I'm outside of the US). The 64 seems to have alot going for it but I don't want to drop $500 USD. What else do you recommend? No - cell phones are not the option here.

I'm looking at a Garmin 64sx GPS, I've not used one in a long time but where I live has spotty or non-existant cell coverage (I'm outside of the US). The 64 seems to have alot going for it but I don't want to drop $500 USD. What else do you recommend? No - cell phones are not the option here.
Gaia gps app does not require cell service to work. I have used it outside the US. Download it to your phone for free.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what are you going to use it for? Also, length of time of the use?

Without knowing your planned uses, it's hard to say what is going to be the total best choice. Is there a compelling reason why you don't just do pre-saved maps on your phone? Apart from your phone possibly not having an e-compass, the actual GPS receivers are almost completely interchangeable between them.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you going to use it for? Also, length of time of the use?
I'm looking for it to do a bit of everything, some map routing on roads, some routing and location while hiking. Length of time? For a while, I'm not thinking a month or two.

iPhones have dedicated gps chipsets and antenna and do not need cell signals or Wi-Fi to fix position or create routes ectc. I leave mine in airplane mode while hiking and use it when I want to mark a waypoint and the like. Avenza app works well for me and I’ve got a dozen maps of various scales for my area. It seems to do anything the old Garmen could do but I like the bigger screen and less items to carry. I use it for the cameras too. The Avenza app is free and they have some good free maps and some you can buy. They also have a subscription service if you need more. Gaia is indeed a great gps app too. .

I'm looking for it to do a bit of everything, some map routing on roads, some routing and location while hiking. Length of time? For a while, I'm not thinking a month or two.
I really like using Garmin watches such as the Fenix and Instinct lineup. The Fenix 5 is well below your budget and has built in color mapping. You can sync it with apps on your phone for performance metrics if you want heart rate and steps etc. Otherwise it makes for a great GPS device that uou wear as a watch. The Fenix 6 series is a step up and pricing has lowered now that the Fenix 7 is out.

I like the wearable garmin products because I feel like you get your money's worth since it's not just a dedicated GPS device but also am EDC watch and sports applications with its fitness metrics.

Battery on a fully charged Fenix is usually 3 weeks. The newer Fenix series and Instinct Solar offer an expedition mode for GPS tracking which could last months. It's worth a read.

I do have a garmin watch and like the metrics it provides. However, it is limited for overlanding use. I don't live in the US and maps and USGS quads and the beloved DeLorme Gazateer don't apply where I'm at. I've got a 64sx on the way and I'm interested to play with it and see how it works. I'm a map and compass guy when I hike (in a ziplock) and that habit will not change. I'll also check out Avenza, great suggestion!

I bought a never used second hand GPSMap 62cs like 10 years ago for my dad, and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. We both have been using it intensively and never failed to work. Buttons are nice when you wear gloves and form factor is comfortable. I even got the specific RAM craddle to use it in my van during offroad trips (Morocco, for instance).

Right now the printing in the buttons is almost gone, the protective rubber is falling appart in some spots and the clip-in clamp for the chest strap (backpack) is worn out. BUT the brains of the damn thing still work.

I suggest you try to find a used GPSMap 64 in whichever version you want. Keep in mind that electronic compasses and and barometric sensors are, in my opinion, not worth it. The unit must be perfectly level for the compass to be acurate and the barometric altimeter is only usefull if you camp several days in one spot, you want to keep track of the pressure and are able to understand what is going on. To know your altitude, use the GPS triangulation. What I want to say is that you might not need the version with all bells and whistles, as they will be more expensive.

When ours finally bites the dust (probably dropped from a 300m cliff or into a deep lake or run over with a vehicle, I cannot see how else I could break it) I will get a GPSMap 64 FOR SURE

Mikel

I've been using the unit for a few months now, I couldn't be happier. The bluetooth allows me to use apps on my phone as primary screens and updates maps from around the world when I need it.

Back