Grails of Yesteryear

There were two.

First was the original Benchmark Rolox knife, I saw one at a mall kiosk. $75 was just too much money for a college student back in the early 80s.
The sales guy reluctantly took it out of the showcase, after reminding me how expensive it was.

The second was a Gerber Mark II, they were about the same price, almost a week's pay for me

I never got either, but I lowered the bar and bought a Gerber Bolt action folder, I really wanted one of those too. I still have it.

GMTA, JPD. A Gerber Bolt Action was the first knife I thought of as I started reading this thread. Wanted one then, still kinda do.

Absolutely. I had one for years, don't know where it is now. But I want another one to replace it.

I gave it a buttload of abuse, and it took it all. The knife probably ran away from home now that I think about it. I wouldn't blame it.

Brilliant knife in my book.

GMTA, JPD. A Gerber Bolt Action was the first knife I thought of as I started reading this thread. Wanted one then, still kinda do.

Yeah, there was something about that slide release for the lock, I loved the look of it.
I got it on sale in the early 80's for $25.00.
Even looking at it today, it's still a well made knife. The only negative is the pivot isn't adjustable, but it's never loosened up either.

I have a similar knife that Tiguy7 posted, #26, except it was made as a Prototype for a Jumpmaster knife for paratroopers. About where the "TM Hunter" is on the posted photo on mine is a 5/8-inch long, 1/8-inch wide cut out in the blade so you can thumb the blade open with one hand. John

I regret selling my Spyderco Southard. I'd didn't give it the chance it deserved. I often thought about buying another. Then I got sick, had to retire. By the time I was cognizant enough to look at taking the plunge, it was discontinued. Still don't understand why.

So that's another yesteryear knife on my list.

Honestly the Spydie Southard is an awesome knife but I have a hard time understanding what it’s purpose is beyond being a very nice Ti bb flipper framelock.

It’s a gorgeous knife and I love mine but honestly it isn’t much of a user. It will handle use fine but I just have a hard time figuring out what the role is supposed to be.

I agree. The blade shape is sort of a compromise between a sheepsfoot and a drop point, that doesn't really work as either. It looks weird too. I love my Domino though.

I agree. The blade shape is sort of a compromise between a sheepsfoot and a drop point, that doesn't really work as either. It looks weird too. I love my Domino though.

I’ve owned both and the Domino is objectively the more useful knife while the Southard is more “cool looking” and a bit of a Taichung Spyderco quality showpiece.

If I’m wrong and someone has figured out some role the Southard excels at please tell me because I honestly haven’t been able to figure it out and I would love to use mine.

Last edited:
Brend Model 2
Kit Carson Model 16 Flipper
Tony Bose swayback

I'd love to get me one of these someday. Saw this thing the first time in a catalogue while in the military in 1998. I like the '80's double serrated version better than the original double recurve one:
b22b4763cc4b58dda9d92f462801be0b.jpg

The ones I lusted over were the SOG Bowie (Blued blade and leather washers, MACVSOG (?) )and the SOG Trident. Also an Ek Commando Model 5 in black micarta, Richmond, VA and pre Blackjack.

Or the one I really wanted since I saw them in the 80s was a Chris Reeves' one piece, hollow-handled knife. Like a Mountaineer or Shadow, or Aviator.

Last edited:
vHVjxiS.jpg

I wanted on of these since the first time I saw the movie. I lucked out at got this locally at a garage sale.

I had the same obsession with that knife after I saw Big Trouble in Little China. I love Kurt Russel and crazy 80s movies lol.

I also used to want a Gerber LMF/LMF II. At the time it was the EPITOME of what a "true" survival knife should be and I used to be really into that kind of shit. These days I just cringe at the half serrated blade and holes for lashing to a stick for spear use.

Should have ordered when I had the chance. Busse Custom Shop SAR 3 with jigged bone handles. Only ever available ONE time, in a Ganzaaa around 2010 in 2011. I let it pass, and have regretted it ever since. They almost never come up for sale.

IMG_3105.jpg

I finally found one for sale here last year, at a very fair price, pretty close to what they originally sold for, and with custom Kydex. :cool: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back