Grails of Yesteryear

IMG_2210.jpg
After seeing and handling a BM McHenry and Williams i lusted after owning one for sometime. Particularly the 707 sequel And the 710. Watched them come and go for more than i could pay. Eventually found a nice sequel and ponied up. When i received it was nice but a little disappointed i had paid so much for such a small knife. (even though i knew it was but had never handled one). The 710 i loved after handling a buddies except the slick g10. Eventually the knifeworks exclusive version 710 came up on the exchange and while expensive (most i ever spent but priced fair actually) i jumped on it as fast as i could and its everything i had hoped for. Nice scales and steel, good f+f and action, and in excellent condition. Even has a mirror polished edge by ApostleP. The sequel may be moved on one day but the 710 never!

No PUMA White Hunter talk?!? Sheesh...kids. :D

EgTFmp2.jpg
[/url]

Gerber BMF
Al Mar Sere Folder
Puma White Hunter
Ruana 21A or 25AC
Spyderco Police
Ek Commando knife (1980's not the new stuff)
Buck 184 Buckmaster
Gerber Mark II w/ wasp blade
Marbles Woodcraft
Marbles Ideal

I had a lot of knives I lusted after!!!

Lots of customs and production knives.

I've owned my first custom knife since I was 12 years old.... a custom stag handled hunter by my Uncle, Glen Hornby a custom maker out of California (He passed when I was still a kid, so I am glad I was able to get one of his knives).

I wanted a plethora of cold steel productions. I was able to get a Trailmaster about 18 years ago. I've owned about 15 or so Busse models (the LE fusion Battle Mistress was one that I listed after and got a chance to own).

I've owned a custom, one of a kind slip joint from Jared Oeser that was made to my specs, size, handle configuration, materials and blade shapes.

I tend to use knives and sell them when I want new models. Busse has seemed to be a good choice for this, as some models retain value even with use.

I've recently picket up a pair of Ben Tendick kwaiken. And have a Phillip Patton hunter on the way.

Way too many "grails" and not enough money!!!!!

I've got champagne and caviar tastes in knives, but soda budget!!!

The Gerber BMF! That was a KNIFE.... No idea what steel was used... My Gerber Bowie rusted in my desk drawer... But the BMF! had a compass on the sheath and a sharpening stone and I believe something that could make waffles....

I’ve owned both and the Domino is objectively the more useful knife while the Southard is more “cool looking” and a bit of a Taichung Spyderco quality showpiece.

If I’m wrong and someone has figured out some role the Southard excels at please tell me because I honestly haven’t been able to figure it out and I would love to use mine.

Mine excelled at slicing my finger trying to click it...

My two grails together. Both hold sentimental mystique to them...

Gerber Mk-I - was my father's and I lusted over it as a kid. He gave me a box full of stuff a few year ago, and this was in it.

Colt 1911 Gold Cup National Match. Also my fathers. Was one of the first large caliber handguns o ever fired. It will be willed to me when the time comes, but I have free reign to let it stretch its legs anytime I feel like.

Bo7TUMX.jpg

Love the beautiful Ruanas. Currently have 5 but have had a few beautys over the years.20170724_211338_zpsnrvauudp.jpg 20190322_172036.jpg

The Gerber BMF! That was a KNIFE.... No idea what steel was used... My Gerber Bowie rusted in my desk drawer... But the BMF! had a compass on the sheath and a sharpening stone and I believe something that could make waffles....

Wait what? I am holding a BMF right now and see the diamond stone and Silva compass but id love to have some waffles... How do i make waffles with this thing? I need waffles!

I didn't think I had a grail knife till this thread reminded me of the Puma Great White Hunter.

I wanted an old Specwar for quite a while and there was one for sale here on BF that I missed because I pumped the brakes to think about it for a second, a mint 2000 black Specwar-B... a year later of kicking myself it resurfaced, along with two more a couple days apart from other sources, so I just said "fuk it!" and I got all three for the hat trick!

LMgP3Vn.jpg

The Buck Buckmaster (184). I've wanted once since the first time I saw it on display at the Navy Exchange when I was very young. I still don't have one.
Yep, remember a dude keeping one of these in his locker at the Navy Barracks in 85', they'd sh-t a brick nowaday's I'm sure.

Thanks. The AFCK is stock, but the 710 has had a handle job and a blade swap.

My old grail knife, and the one that got me into the world of good knives back in the '70's, was the Gerber Paul Knife because of it's unique engineering. It was the original flipper, excluding butterfly knives. My current grail knife is my EDC, a Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1, what a knife! I bought it when it first came out and will probably never part with it unless a good laser knife with adjustable beam length and strength comes along for less than a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited:
Back