Gransfors Bruks Small Forest and Splitting Maul Imperfections: Input needed

Agree with Steve, I don't see this as a debate. Lots of opinions out there - up to you to decide. Based on my experience with the company in question, I think you made a good decision.

That said, if this is going to be a working maul/ axe; s$&@ is going to happen at some point (chips, dings, etc). At some point you are going to have to work on it. Most likely with a stone but maybe with a file as well.

Unless you really know what you're doing, avoid a file at all costs. It's very hard to maintain a consistent grind using a 1 inch wide square file up and down a 4 inch bit. The Lansky Puck is a much better option.

Not to get off track here...but, doesn't it seem like maintaining a splitting maul with NO secondary bevel is basically ridiculous???? I don't understand the design...

But with all due respect, when you tell me to go sharpen the edge I immediately think you don't understand the situation.
Hey, sorry if it how you feel about what most people say. You spent quite a lot of money and what you receive doesn't completly live up your expectations.
I think I and most other people on this board understand your point because the very same situation happened to most of us at some point. Seriously, unless you're into collecting and wall hangers, perfection is unhealthy pursuit, that you'll get over at some point. I've had knives and tools twice or three times more expensive that where aesthetically perfect but had a deeply screwed designs and ended collecting dusting while I have other tools that many small glitches but ended being my favorites because they are not perfect but in the end they just work. Use the tools and enjoy that.

Now, IMPORTANT POINT, doesn't mean I'm trying to defend the company against you.
Yes someone screwed up on the maul at some point, and even it technically it's not that important, you paid full price so there's no reason you can't get a good one. Maul is functional as is but maybe it's a gift (maybe to yourself) or something.
So I personnally really hate complaining but yeah sometimes it's ok to indulge to self. Just send them the pics and see what they say (it's likely they'll replace it).

So maybe you should think deeper about you priorities
but that shouldn't prevent yourself from asking from replacement, hey, that's you're hard earned money, screw them.

Ok, hope I didn't sound too condescending, and tried to put some humour in it, but really "been there, done that" all the way

I don't understand why people spend big bucks for a splitting maul. A maul is gonna get abused whether you meant to or not. Its basically a wedge with handle on it. Heck if get a maul stuck in a round I usually beat it out with a sledge or another maul. No biggie. Decent mauls are available at any hardware store for 20 bucks.
Wholly agreed

For the price we pay return em. I went through a handful at smkw's to pick the best one, handle grain and head. Not all of theirs are perfect.
Good luck.

The edge on the maul is not a problem. This is a splitting bevel, not a chopping one. Touching it up with a mill bastard file will quickly true it up. As far as loss of metal, I've heated my home with wood for most of my life (62) and I still haven't worn down a maul to the point where a quick touch up with the file won't do the job, AND I'm darn picky about my cutting edges.

I had a similar situation recently when I mail ordered a Boker Applegate-Fairbairn Besh Wedge knife. The blade had several small imperfections that looked like tiny chips. I debated whether to keep the knife or send it back for evaluation. I decided on the latter, and Boker Customer Service was excellent to deal with. It was determined that the blade was not 100%, and I was sent a perfect replacement in short time. Paying for a "second" or imperfect item should have a lower price than that of a "perfect" item. I don't think the OP's items were perfect, thus the price paid was not justified for imperfection. I would return both items.

Imagine gear has always been very good on service. I have maybe 6 or seven pieces I have bought over a few years.
I always ask them to inspect the piece for flaws. It has worked so far.

F/O

It is simply a balance of how much you care about the imperfections over how much you want to deal with the hassle of sending them back, same with sending food back in a restaurant, something I have never done.
the replacement may have a perfect cutting edge but maybe you get a handle with crappy grain or some splinters under the head from when the handle was pressed in.
Nothings perfect, my advice is deal with the flaws, they are still beautiful axes.

I too have ordered from Imagine Gear as I received the little hand axe (Kubben) and sweet double bit. The Kubben was typical GB top quality, but the $240 double bit didnt quite reach that level. I dealt with it as I figure I'd eventually ding it up in use and have to sharpen it regularily or repair it. You have to accept that the internet is the perfect place to peddle 2nds and less than perfect product. Often cosmetic blems are the case with online purchases. Its a tool so consider it ok. I'd never accept an optic(scope) blem though. I think the maul is acceptable given its application. I'd be more upset if the other axe was like the maul. Either way I'm sure I.G. will remedy it. If not, take to the forums and post the lack of service like some folks do to merchants that dont back their sales.:cool:

Back