• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Great alternative EDC fixed blade knives for not much money!

I was browsing for the wife a new paring knife when it dawned on me..DOH!

Some of the little paring knives sold for kitchen use would work great on a tiny dangler, IWB clip sheath or even a little pocket style sheath.

Simply drill a hole in the tang for a small lanyard. The possibilities are endless.

I know some of them aren't as durable or built as ruggedly as smaller EDC specific fixed blades are but for the money....

I think they are a great and fun alternative and offer up lots more choices for us of whom, one is not enough...

What do you think about these very well made kitchen knives used as a fixed blade EDC?

Robert Welch 3" Paring Knife around $30.00

• SIGSA2094V.jpg
John-Lewis Damascus Paring Knife at around $40.00
john-lewis.jpg

I have a cpl knives in the block at home like this. I do tend to go for them much more frequently for cutting chores in the kitchen than the big chefs knives and such . a small blade really can accomplish most tasks. I have to admit the ergos on one in particular are very good and I have had the same thoughts about it as an EDC and even as a SD knife .

if you look at many neck knives and bird and trout knives out there they are basically the same thing packaged as the latest greatest tactical masterpiece. all they are is glorified small kitchen knives !!

Well, many early woodsmen* used knives that either were kitchen knives of various sizes, or were knives that we would consider kitchen knives today. So, this isn't really far fetched. There are almost certainly some Bladeforums members who daily carry a small paring knife. I mean, they'd be virtually indistinguishable from something like a small bird/fish knife.

*The sorts who would be called "bushcraft" guys today

Well, I think 1) you are paying a huge premium for having home designer names like Robert Welch or John Lewis on them; 2) neither of those "design names" knows anything about knife making, 3) who knows what the steels are and what that "damascus" is; 4) who knows where they are made.

I'd just get a Vic or F. Dick paring knife for 5 to 10 bucks US and be confident of getting a quality piece of cutlery at a fraction of the price.

Great Eastern Cutlery #H20. This is about the best bang for your buck ~$38

^
Just picked one of those and like it a lot. Overall the blade is a bit smaller than I like, but its a mean little slicer.

Great Eastern Cutlery #H20. This is about the best bang for your buck ~$38

Great pick. For the same price as the "mystery knives" above, you get a knife from a highly respected knife manufacturer, with micarta scales, AND an identified steel - 1095.

Well, I think 1) you are paying a huge premium for having home designer names like Robert Welch or John Lewis on them; 2) neither of those "design names" knows anything about knife making, 3) who knows what the steels are and what that "damascus" is; 4) who knows where they are made.

I'd just get a Vic or F. Dick paring knife for 5 to 10 bucks US and be confident of getting a quality piece of cutlery at a fraction of the price.

Absolutely, having lived in Kodiak AK for almost 14 years, worked on some fishing boats, the Victornix and Forstchner knives were a fixture on the bait stations and filleting boards. Great little serrated and non-serrated knives. Hard to beat for the money. I use a pair of them for taking apart and breaking down white tailed deer, a 10" butcher and a large 8" skinner with a ceramic rod for touch-ups cant be beat by any $$$ knives IMHO.

What about Opinel paring knives for this idea? Do the paring knives have the same Sandvik stainless steel found in the folders?

I know its pricier but the Bradford guardian 3 Is a great little EDC belt knife. Super cool and lots of options. If you want cheap I would suggest a mora robust for 12$ and get a horizontal belt sheath made.

I was browsing for the wife a new paring knife when it dawned on me..DOH!

Some of the little paring knives sold for kitchen use would work great on a tiny dangler, IWB clip sheath or even a little pocket style sheath.

Simply drill a hole in the tang for a small lanyard. The possibilities are endless.

I know some of them aren't as durable or built as ruggedly as smaller EDC specific fixed blades are but for the money....

I think they are a great and fun alternative and offer up lots more choices for us of whom, one is not enough...

What do you think about these very well made kitchen knives used as a fixed blade EDC?

Robert Welch 3" Paring Knife around $30.00

How do we know those are well made? How do we know they have good steel?

Some real knife companies make paring knives. Spyderco for instance makes one for less than the 2 that were listed. Years ago I bought a Victorinox parking knife new for about $3 if I remember correctly. It may not be really good steel but it is probably as good as the 2 listed.

But I do agree with the concept- if a person needs a low priced small knife a paring knife that fit the bill, and you can find used ones for dirt cheap.

Moraknivs are as cheap as they come and are known quality - why bother with a flimsy and possibly faulty paring knife when you can get a good Mora?

For inexpensive EDC fixed blades, a few things come to mind:
  • Moras - take your pick, but it may be a bit bulky for EDC
  • A.G. Russell Woodswalker - with either sheath: I like the leather one in my back pocket, but found that it was annoying to remove the knife to re-sheath it. The kydex sheath is ok and could work in a pocket, but it is meant to be a neck knife sheath, and I decided that neck knives are not my thing. This is my daughter's preferred knife for whittling and fire prep.
  • A.G. Russell Hunter Scalpel - it is tiny, and unobtrusive. I have not tried to carry it in an EDC role, as I find it too small for my XL hands, but it could work. It is my son's preferred knife -- in fact, he claimed it as his (yet again) today as I was sharpening a bunch of stuff.
Of course, I prefer my Bradford Guardian 3 or Spyderco Street Beat, but they ain't budget blades.

Enjoy

+1 for the A G Russel Woodswalker. Not sure how many years I've had mine but it's a great little EDC. The current price with sheath is cheaper than the two paring knives in the OP. I've been carrying a Mora Eldris for only a couple months so far. It's light weight with a comfortable handle but thickness is bit more than I normally prefer for pocket carry.

Frick you took the exact thoughts I had 1 through 4!

And for those of you who want an alternative to a Scandi Grind found on the Mora's here is a simply awesome EDC blade, sub $20.00
412DHDzb8vL._SL1024_.jpg

Victornix Rabbit Knife, 4" at $15.99 Delivered to your Door by Amazon (The Anti-Christ) Prime..Sharper than a double bladed hen turd.
FoXJ5SX

Last edited:
Back