1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Great Eastern 38s Farmers Jack

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by glocktenman, Jul 30, 2016.

1. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I'm a happy convert :D

[​IMG]

2. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Looks like a beauty,glad you found one.

3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Very good picture of a nice example:thumbup:

Now get using it!:D:D

4. glocktenman

glocktenman Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Last week I was showing Jamie's 38 to my brother before I mailed it back. He thought it was cool and really liked the patina on the blades. He called me and he got two of them just like Jamie's. Plus side? One will be a gift to me!!! So, I officially now have a 38! I'll post some pics of it soon.

5. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015
    Another great gift story to make my day today on the porch. Can't wait to see it glock

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

6. Macchina

Macchina Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    These are just fantastic knives! A stellar pattern!
    [​IMG]

7. pmew

pmew

Oct 2, 2011
    ...and a stellar photograph, that's a gorgeous picture mate!

- Paul

8. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The ebonies and blackwoods are classy looking knives.

9. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015
    Love that diamond shield, Macc. Very nice photo. Is it a small sharpening stone next to it on the leather slip?

10. Macchina

Macchina Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Yessir. It's a Spyderco ceramic pocket stone they made last decade. Not only does the rings porthole sharpen the Orchard Gem perfectly, the leather they used for the slip has a special ability to be a very effective strop for recurve blades.

On some homegrown carrots:
    [​IMG]

11. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Randy, good for you! The #38 made it home no worse for wear. :thumbup:

12. glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    Well heck! I never posted any pics of my 38. Here they are. Better late than never.
    gec38a.jpg gec38.jpg

13. MeanStreaker

MeanStreaker

Jan 13, 2006
    Can I ask bout sharpening a hawkbill blade? I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker on my wharncliffe and drop point blades and probably do a slightly below average job of it. Hey I'm learning. :) any special tricks needed for these?

A few years ago we moved to five acres and I've planted about 75 trees, bushes, etc. I have a lot of pruning in my future and figure one of these needs to be in my tiny collection and pocket.

Here's a pic of where I've done most of my planting even though it's hard to see. The kids are crossing a bridge I built to cross the passive irrigation I dug. The technique is called Swales.

[​IMG]

14. pmew

pmew

Oct 2, 2011
    I use ceramic rods - seems to work fine for me [emoji4]

15. glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    I haven't used mine enough to need sharpening! LOL. It's getting carried more!

16. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Yep, ceramic rods work well and take the guess work right out of it.