Great Eastern Cutlery: #66 - Equal End Serpentine

Here are my two contributions. Stockman and moose:
f626d5e50f0d685bc982d494e3082ede.jpg

Finally got a chance to take a picture and wanted to add to the thread before it gets too many pages down. Here are mine: a slim, two jacks, a stockman, and a mink skinner. I love this pattern. It's just the perfect size for a pocketknife. I want to add a Bullwinkle, and I'll be happy with the set (even without the HJ - those don't seem to come up for sale very often).

33153019633_826c9d3edb_k.jpg

How heavy are these knives? I own zero 3 bladed knives, I like the idea, but I wonder how pocketable is the #66? Is it heavy? How thick are they? Will they fit in a watch pocket and how well?

Thanks for your time.

The last run off #66 stockman was a thick, well built, heavier knife compared to a say a 3.5" Case stockman.

I will try to take a side by side comparison photos today.

How heavy are these knives? I own zero 3 bladed knives, I like the idea, but I wonder how pocketable is the #66? Is it heavy? How thick are they? Will they fit in a watch pocket and how well?

Thanks for your time.

I don't consider them heavy at all but I'm used to carrying a three blade knife so a little weight and thickness doesn't bother me. In fact, I like those characteristics.

I think it depends on the size of your watch pocket. I can carry a 3 5/8 inch knife in my watch pocket horizontally in my Wrangler Riggs jeans but there's no way I could have done that with the Levi's 517's I used to wear.

LastRodeo LastRodeo
Railsplitter Railsplitter

Thanks guys. I hope my @ tag works.

I'd love some comparison pics or any other advice.

Thanks again, forumites.

OK, I'll give it a whirl.:D A few reasons to get one listed below.

1. If you want to try a 3 blade knife, the GEC Calf Ropers are a great option.
2. GEC hasn't made the 3 blade Calf Ropers since I don't know when but it's been several years. You might not get a chance again for awhile, if ever. In the rare cases when someone lists one on The Exchange it usually sells pretty fast.
3. If you don't like it you won't have any problem selling it.
4. It's got a unique Spey blade. Different than most.
5. It's a GEC so your chances of getting a knife with issues is slimmer than many other brands.
6. You know you want one.

Most of those are reasons why I want one but they might work for you too.:)

Honestly, I have always thought that the 3 blade Calf Ropers are one of GEC's best accomplishments. Having found out that they're coming back again, I'm dancin' in the streets!

My humble herd of 66's. Two jacks and an HJ.

Looking forward to the stockman coming out. I had a slim but kept stabbing and cutting myself with it. Sold it. Prefer two springs in smaller knives anyway.

LastRodeo LastRodeo

Thanks for the pics and weight comparisons.

Railsplitter Railsplitter

Yep, well written to the "buy it now button." I'm not on the fence anymore - one or possibly two will be enough, for me. I 'think.' I will go with lighter handle materials to help with some weight.

Both of you, thank you kindly, for the detailed responses.

I love the #66 stockman, all #66 varieties for that matter. I think you will too.

Here's a couple of comparison shots I took some time back. Two RRs on the outsides, with a #66, a #15, and a #56 in the middle, left to right.

MedComparoMark_zps2d8cd13f.jpg~original

MedComparoWell_zps2eab096c.jpg~original

Back