Great Eastern Cutlery: #66 - Equal End Serpentine

The earlier runs did have better snap. GEC seemed to soften the action in response to many who decried their tough pulls, but I think they went too far on some releases.

Agreed. I think they went too far on both the Calf Roper and the Dixie Stockman, and a few other recent runs. It's too the point where I'm purchasing more vintage knives instead of GEC's these days, just because the action is better on my 70 year old knives.

Gentlemen I would most definitely agree. I have both a 66 and an 82. The pulls are very very light and some blades have no snap at all. Now given that they are stock knives, they shouldn't be that hard to open, since those little blades are packed in there. And on the muskrat main on the 82, even with the little spot for your thumb, it would be very difficult to open if it were very strong. But overall I agree that the snap on most has become weaker. But honestly I have stockmans from Case with better snap. I hope the snap on the upcoming #97 and #86 are quite stout. I can tolerate stockman knives with light pulls, but a big jack knife should have fairly strong pulls.

I'm glad to have just received this slant bolster 66 in cocobolo from 2012. The snap is about the same as the rest of mine (all from 2017) but the secondary blades on this one close just a tad better. The slant bolsters look much nicer than straight ones to me but I still like all the 66's.

IMG_2764.JPG IMG_2765.JPG

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200131164555402_COVER_copy_2016x1512_1.jpg

The pull is juuuust right on this jack! But the thwaack of the snap closed is quite impressive. This is the most comfortable slipjoint I've ever held and used. The bolsters on both ends and substantial spring size make it feel heavier than it looks for it's smallish size but in a good way. Keeps it planted in my palm And yet barely notice it in my pocket. Mine too has a hue of brown hidden in the grain on the mark side but only when the natural light let's it show itself. Indoor lighting can't even bring it out. Great jack hope to see em again one day soon.

They are indeed wonderful. Fortunate to have acquired these two.

qBrvkmo.jpg

Back