• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

stevekolt

Gold Member
Dang! Had a Waynorth 93 in my cart at KC, and by the time I tried to type in my payment info it was gone! Was really looking forward to the jigged bone model...

Dang! Had a Waynorth 93 in my cart at KC, and by the time I tried to type in my payment info it was gone! Was really looking forward to the jigged bone model...

Ha, same! Was trying for an ebony, Swing and a miss...

Well, the profit parasites and hoarders have struck again...IMHO, this hobby has changed for the worse...is everyone still having fun???

An old guy like me with fat fingers had no chance
....that's me.

Very nicely done :thumbsup: Charlie. The stag, in particular, is a huge win - the ebony, very sublime indeed!

Really?...a win for who?...certainly not when a very popular design gets relegated to the few privileged ones. Is the goal here to turn everything into the unobtainable?..sure seems like it...

Last edited:
Well, the profit parasites and hoarders have struck again...IMHO, this hobby has changed for the worse...is everyone still having fun???

....that's me.

Really?...a win for who?...certainly not when a very popular design gets relegated to the few privileged ones. Is the goal here to turn everything into the unobtainable?..sure seems like it...

I'm sure Charlie would have had more made if he could. Also, I got one and I have around 50 or so GECs - am I a heartless hoarder? I thought I was a passionate collector.

Swing and a miss for this ol' slowpoke. Beautiful knives done by Charlie and GEC...that jigging! :eek:
And - congrats to those that reeled one of these beauties in! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see posted pics.

....that's me.

Look...Your point is taken, but as been pointed out already, by a Mod no less, this isn’t the place to vent. This is the place to discuss these great knives. I ‘ve been in your shoes and had to learn my lesson. There is a spot called GBU where you can freely express your thoughts. Just be ready for the responses, lol. Have a good weekend.

I was having fun until the whining and moaning started again.

To me, that is what has most changed about this hobby. Threads are becoming nigh unreadable because of it.

All of this type of posting (to include mine) belongs in FEEDBACK. Hopefully, a Mod will move them.

Right! It's like listening to people in war-time in a food queue " They've sold out of meat! I'll have to buy it on the black-market!" Illuminating, really adds to our knowledge of the knives: the history of the pattern, its pros & cons as a user, aesthetics, durability, build faults/quality, pride of ownership, scale variations, feel in hand. Yeah, right :rolleyes:;)

I recently made this post in the #93 pattern thread in the traditional subforum, found at this link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...lambfoot-thread.1658430/page-30#post-19084447, below:

I was having fun until the whining and moaning started again.

To me, that is what has most changed about this hobby. Threads are becoming nigh unreadable because of it.

All of this type of posting (to include mine) belongs in FEEDBACK. Hopefully, a Mod will move them.

I agree. It's fun until all the people who can't handle a little disappointment come and fill a whole thread with moaning and whining and complaining.

Sure, there's a learning curve and GEC is more popular now than a few years ago and I'm sure I've complained here in the past, but it's really not that difficult to get the knives you want if you're paying attention here and DON'T CONSTANTLY ACT LIKE THE ONLY DEALERS THAT EXIST ARE THE BIG ONES. Not saying anything negative about the big ones, I've had good experiences with them also. Just gets frustrating when every time one of the big dealers drop a knife everyone acts like they have no chance to get one if they missed out on that dealer.

Anyway, this is not the place to discuss the buying process so I think I'll move this to feedback.

END POST

So I thought I'd post this thread because I couldn't find a recent thread in the feedback subforum to move my post to. I personally don't have any complaints about GEC availability, but I understand why some might. However, the traditional subforum has been designated as NOT the place for those discussions (of buying, availability, etc.). So here's a place to discuss.

My biggest frustration is what I said above; people act like there are only 3-4 dealers who get and sell these knives, and that's not at all the case. I have had good experience with the large dealers, but there are also lots of smaller dealers who have great service as well.

Here's a list of GEC's dealers:

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/our-gec-distributors/

and because of the knife in question, here's a list of Waynorth dealers:

http://waynorthcutlery.net/dealers/

Well, the profit parasites and hoarders have struck again...IMHO, this hobby has changed for the worse...

...Really?...a win for who?...certainly not when a very popular design gets relegated to the few privileged ones. Is the goal here to turn everything into the unobtainable?..sure seems like it...

I understand your frustration, but if I could offer another perspective...

I’ve purchased most of my GEC knives on the secondary market. On average I estimate I’ve paid about 25% or so over the original dealer’s sale price, but I’ve never had to worry about playing the lolly scramble game. I’m of the age where it doesn’t bother me to pay a small premium to avoid frustration. I’m perfectly happy to pay someone else to change the oil in my cars for me, and I never shop on Black Friday.

I am on a dealer’s reservation list, and I hope to receive an e-mail in a few days, but if that doesn’t come to pass, so be it. After a few weeks of excitement the market will settle on a price, and it will then be up to me to decide whether the knife is worth what the market demands.

I come at this issue from a collector/enthusiast perspective, so “flipping” would be an unethical activity for me. But for those who view limited runs as a commodity, “flipping” is just business. To be *completely* honest I take a dim view of the practice, but I feel the same way about stock brokers and investment bankers. I don’t *like* what they do, but I bear them no ill will; their priorities are simply different than mine.

I agree, but there are dealers on that list that never post new releases...how does that work?

I personally like searching smaller dealers for 1 or 2 rare models that are still available at release price, sort of a treasure hunt.

Just found a 35 Churchill, Cougar Clawed Bone at release price...stoked!

I dont think there should be a learning curve to buying a knife lol.

Certain knives have excuses. The Skaha and the Atom were thrown into the spotlight thanks to big youtubers. GEC is already pretty popular, so why do they have trouble producing enough knives? There is obviously a market for it.

Maybe I'm just ignorant of how it works, but why wouldn't you step up your production game when there are clearly people that will buy the knives.

I dont think there should be a learning curve to buying a knife lol.

Certain knives have excuses. The Skaha and the Atom were thrown into the spotlight thanks to big youtubers. GEC is already pretty popular, so why do they have trouble producing enough knives? There is obviously a market for it.

Maybe I'm just ignorant of how it works, but why wouldn't you step up your production game when there are clearly people that will buy the knives.

If you've ever been to the factory and talked to Bill, William and the employees you would understand. While it is a small factory every process involves skilled craftsman and women making these knives by hand. While production has increased over the years it has been limited by getting people trained to do the job to GEC's standards.
They have stepped up production, SFO's that were 100 knives now are 500, regular runs that may have been 1000 are now 5000 or more, there are now some nice GEC's still available at dealers.
You do have to wonder how many Lambfoot knives would have had to been produced to satisfy demand, would 5000 have been enough?

Back