• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

98F34017-BFA8-4D96-9541-E3412CA7D550.jpeg I lucked out and got a cocobolo one and am happy with that. An acrylic would be my preference for this run but wood covers are a nice second choice.

It would be great if GEC does a near future run and ups the numbers a bit since they are so popular.
An acrylic like this 15 in nifebright would be wonderful.

Some peeps have listed a couple Blue 93's on the bay for over $300!?!

Last edited:
Some peeps have listed a couple Blue 93's on the bay for over $300!?!
That is very interesting!!! I saw a Oily Bone sell for $142 in a bidding auction. Which if you missed out and really wanted one, is probably not to bad in the scheme of things. Just goes to show it is all supply and demand. And in my opinion for what it is worth, which may be not much, i think that when all the hype dies down, you may be able to get one for a reasonable price if you really want one. History shows that all these sorts of crazes, for want of a better term, eventually run there race and sensibility returns and the market will dictate the price. I hope you are successful in getting your hands on one. Have a good weekend.

That is very interesting!!! I saw a Oily Bone sell for $142 in a bidding auction. Which if you missed out and really wanted one, is probably not to bad in the scheme of things. Just goes to show it is all supply and demand. And in my opinion for what it is worth, which may be not much, i think that when all the hype dies down, you may be able to get one for a reasonable price if you really want one. History shows that all these sorts of crazes, for want of a better term, eventually run there race and sensibility returns and the market will dictate the price. I hope you are successful in getting your hands on one. Have a good weekend.
For sure! The final auction prices really reflect the true supply and demand. These "Buy It Now" are crazy...but the craziest part, someone will pay it!

And that is the thing, if you really want something and are prepaired to pay over the odds, you can.

I like them a lot, it was my dad. I worked pretty hard to get the money together and a lot harder getting the knife.

Understand you are the rare exception. That rule is in place so people won’t flip. I totally agree with 1 knife per household. 98% of the 2 knife people will either flip for profit or put it away for safe keeping. No disdain for either but I’d rather have more people to be able to have the knife in hand.

Understand you are the rare exception. That rule is in place so people won’t flip. I totally agree with 1 knife per household. 98% of the 2 knife people will either flip for profit or put it away for safe keeping. No disdain for either but I’d rather have more people to be able to have the knife in hand.

I think that's a broad assumption. Ninety eight percent? Wow.

I don't think "flippers" are the reason these are going so fast, its because its a very popular pattern. And traditionals are popular and have become trendy too, which narrows the market. There were several opportunities from several dealers at all times of the week and all hours of the day to get one. And a reservation system.

I tried hard to get one and a couple times was even on when the email came through but by the time I could follow the link and put one in the basket it was already gone. Fortunately I found one a forum member was selling at a reasonable price and clicked fast enough to get it.

I think that's a broad assumption. Ninety eight percent? Wow.

I don't think "flippers" are the reason these are going so fast, its because its a very popular pattern. And traditionals are popular and have become trendy too, which narrows the market. There were several opportunities from several dealers at all times of the week and all hours of the day to get one. And a reservation system.

98% was just a silly number that I came up with. It seems like you take things personally by your response. And yes I think that the majority are selling their extra score or just putting it in the safe. I am one of those who ended up getting more than I needed. A spare was traded and another is going in a box in the closet.
I am still all for a 1 for household policy. I got lucky from multiple dealers.

I'm for the 1 per household for SFOs from the dealers, but not for regular production. It seems the particular knife doesn't really become desireable and highly sought after until it is in people's hands and pictures and opinions of it start popping up.

I am one of those who ended up getting more than I needed. A spare was traded and another is going in a box in the closet.
I am still all for a 1 for household policy. I got lucky from multiple dealers.

So you bought more than you needed, leaving someone empty handed at the dealer?

You flipped one for a desirable trade, making a profit.

Your squirreling one away while others frantically search and pay flippers?

And now you have sour grape complaints about the system?:thumbsdown::confused:

I think its about time that the 100 dollar cap be reconsidered, regarding the forum knife.

I'd be fine raising the limit if we spent the money on a knife with more blades. If it's a matter of adding bling, not so much. Lotta people here who love their bling...

I'd be fine raising the limit if we spent the money on a knife with more blades. If it's a matter of adding bling, not so much. Lotta people here who love their bling...
I'm right with you. Many times our option is going to be a GEC and a GEC with more than 1 blade is going to cost a little more.

Of course, if the popular vote wants more bling, then more bling it is!

So you bought more than you needed, leaving someone empty handed at the dealer?

You flipped one for a desirable trade, making a profit.

Your squirreling one away while others frantically search and pay flippers?

And now you have sour grape complaints about the system?:thumbsdown::confused:

I love having my own personal troll. So nice.

- the trade hasn’t come in yet, so I don’t know how you suggest profit. How are you to know the suggested price if I sold what I traded for? But if that makes you feel better.

- I got lucky at multiple dealers. Yes I said that. Yes I have one for pocket time. After the trade I have one to store away. I think adding 5 to my cart at a dealer is unfair. Just my feeling on it- it may not be right or wrong.

- No. no sour grapes at all. These drops are frantic and fun. I’ve been pretty lucky, wanted a blue one with a boot and I couldn’t get through the system that morning. But I am ok with that.

I hope you get over your feelings on the Mac situation and quit getting excited to rebut my post when you see them pop up.

I'm for the 1 per household for SFOs from the dealers, but not for regular production. It seems the particular knife doesn't really become desireable and highly sought after until it is in people's hands and pictures and opinions of it start popping up.

I agree

What I want- an ancient TC Barlow from early run. Not the spear point from the last run.

Eds2tQw.jpg

Nice Flip!!:cool::cool:
I’m sure the guy that you cart sniped for a extra is very happy for you...

Nice Flip!!:cool::cool:
I’m sure the guy that you cart sniped for a extra is very happy for you...

I didn’t get that trade- I need to update it. Thanks for the reminder.
First time I’ve ever ignored a member. Thanks for being my first.

Back