• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

True, you had said it wasn't available at any price, so I interpreted that to mean price wasn't an issue.
More so a comment on availability but fair enough :thumbsup: GEC made maybe 100 pieces in 2009 under a different brand name and haven't made any stainless jacks since. Right now the estimated totals of the #93s are 600 for Charlie's Lambsfoot and more than that of the normal #93s. And they're still making #93s right now.

More so a comment on availability but fair enough :thumbsup: GEC made maybe 100 pieces in 2009 under a different brand name and haven't made any stainless jacks since. Right now the estimated totals of the #93s are 600 for Charlie's Lambsfoot and more than that of the normal #93s. And they're still making #93s right now.
I would buy one of those too.

Some very interesting and good points.:thumbsup:

I think those points are tight on target. Great Eastern Cutlery is the best quality maker of traditional knives operating today. Like everything one day they will stop, or be bought by people more interested in volume, cost control and increased distribution. Then you will be able to buy most any of those knives at vastly reduced prices. Those who hold original (present day) GECs will see their investment skyrocket.

Quality and dedication to your art will tell.

^^ I thought we were past that part of the excitement,lol. Don't get him riled up again. lol
Is it just some of the GEC knives that are so popular or what? I may have missed something. Asking cause I see several of their knives available at like bladeHQ and ship for free and a few other big sites?

Is it just some of the GEC knives that are so popular or what??

some patters are unobtainium
even when first released, others become popular and are in demand years later..

I have been smoked at every dealer for the 93 Ram pin version,
Hope I can get a nice one on the first bounce

Don't know how many drop notifications I failed to score on but finally did yesterday after I'd given up and bought a cocobolo from a forum member. Now I have a jigged bone on the way. the bolo matches my 73 but I think I like bone better and that one matches my Meher and Gosh 15, think the bolo's gonna have to find another home. It was really aggravating missing drop after drop, sometimes I'd be online when the notification came and respond immediately and still miss it, but the feeling of victory from finally making it is worth it.

The fastest my iphone email refreshes every is every 5 minutes...thats all it takes to miss every drop...so annoying.

Was able to reserve the 77 Barlow in about 10 seconds after the notification, excited!

Reactions: mb>
Was able to reserve the 77 Barlow in about 10 seconds after the notification, excited!

Question for those of y’all who have done this before. My phone was in my hand when the text came(lucky timing) and I kept a browser logged in. It was less than 15 seconds to get my phone number in and submit, but if I read my status right, I don’t think I made it. Was I too slow, or was there another confirmation button I needed to click? I don’t see anything here to indicate that I actually got one reserved:

8F4AF099-26F9-4662-85E9-3163301BCEE2.png

The fastest my iphone email refreshes every is every 5 minutes...thats all it takes to miss every drop...so annoying.

That is a big bummer. 5 minutes?! My work email is set to refresh every minute and a half (if I remember correctly) on my PC. I don't use that for the ERS but my point is that there are certainly faster refresh settings. Have you looked into using a different email client? When I used an iPhone, I never used the native client because I found it terrible.

Question for those of y’all who have done this before. My phone was in my hand when the text came(lucky timing) and I kept a browser logged in. It was less than 15 seconds to get my phone number in and submit, but if I read my status right, I don’t think I made it. Was I too slow, or was there another confirmation button I needed to click? I don’t see anything here to indicate that I actually got one reserved:

View attachment 1160266

My experience this go around was rather harrowing. I got the text, didn't even bother to look at it and went straight to my open browser window on my PC. The site was slow, which I expected it to be, but I also noticed that the Submit button wasn't visible at first (even after having a commitment level selected). I had to refresh the page and when I did, it produced an error. Thinking that I was done for, I attempted to refresh again, noted that the color was still green, made my selection and hit the submit button. No further issues at that point.

After clicking "sure", there should have been a Submit button visible. It didn't show for me at first but did on the second go.

After clicking "sure", there should have been a Submit button visible. It didn't show for me at first but did on the second go

Hmmm...I don’t recall seeing a commitment level to select. Might be what I did wrong, although I was apparently able to submit. Oh well, certainly not worth complaining about. It’s only dumb luck that I was close enough to my phone to have a shot anyway.

Hmmm...I don’t recall seeing a commitment level to select. Might be what I did wrong, although I was apparently able to submit. Oh well, certainly not worth complaining about. It’s only dumb luck that I was close enough to my phone to have a shot anyway.

I apologize, I misspoke. It is the Interest Level, not the Commitment level.

PaXgmgj.png

I’m picturing a thousand knife geeks sitting poised over their keyboards for hours, their index fingers hovering over the return key waiting for that golden minute in which they may be able to purchase a certain knife.

Better if anyone interested sign up for a lottery number in advance and then, when the knives are available, spin the wheel until all the knives are gone. Working people, homemakers, caregivers, those unable to devote hours to the race would have an equal chance.

Man I’m so bummed. I’ve been checking my phone non stop for the last few days for alerts for the 77 reserve and sure enough the one day I have a meeting at work it came during the meeting.

I have never scored a 77 barlow yet. Congrats to everyone who did though.

I’m not going to lie, I feel relieved in a weird way that I don’t have to keep checking my phone anymore.

Better if anyone interested sign up for a lottery number in advance and then, when the knives are available, spin the wheel until all the knives are gone. Working people, homemakers, caregivers, those unable to devote hours to the race would have an equal chance.
Been there, done that.
Didn't work out as well or as easy as you laid out, as well as being a HUGE undertaking as I understand.
There is no perfect way to do this so just go with it and let the chips fall where they may.:thumbsup:
I would argue that some of those you mentioned may have had more time to devote to the race. Really, this has been debated to death. If you search, there are numerous threads through the years.

Back