• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

I don't participate in Northwoods releases and my acquisitions of highly coveted GEC SFOs are somewhat sparse in comparison to others. I very much have adopted a "win some - lose some" attitude towards these things.

That said though, it kind of blows my mind that there are folks here who tend to have good success rates but also can miss out even when they do all the right things - i.e login early, have PayPal at the ready, take time off from work, ensure good internet, etc. They do this and the flippers still manage to consistently score not just one but several in most cases. I've heard of the use of bots and such but good grief...

I suppose I should congratulate them on their entrepreneurial spirit but I think I would rather curse them for souring the hobby for everyone else. Because, no matter how you slice it (no pun intended), flippers don't exist because they have the hobby's or community's interests in mind, they are simply predators that take advantage of other people's misfortune.

And that is something that we all will (and should) continue to highlight. Perhaps there will be a day when folks recognize that flippers exist because they have buyers. Or perhaps flippers will gain a conscience.

Not holding my breath for either.

Our favorite "banned-flipper-who-should-be-a-dealer" already has his multiple scores listed, using KSF's pictures of course... If ever there were an individual who no longer deserved to be here, it was that guy.

I saw that too...he didn't waste anytime. It looks like he got multiples of all handles except mammoth, of course. Scum :poop:

perhaps flippers will gain a conscience.
It's quite rude that people are cheating the system,
With grandma, girlfriend and auntie working as a team on drops.
I didn't know about Bots!

I sold my Waynorth ebony lamb for a profit,
Loved it, but then they started selling for $350...
I could not justify using it, so I let it go for what it was worth.
A production run of this pattern will come along priced to use eventually.

I do not feel a lack of conscience, or that anyone was taken advantage of.

It's quite rude that people are cheating the system,
With grandma, girlfriend and auntie working as a team on drops.
I didn't know about Bots!

I sold my Waynorth ebony lamb for a profit,
Loved it, but then they started selling for $350...
I could not justify using it, so I let it go for what it was worth.
A production run of this pattern will come along priced to use eventually.

I do not feel a lack of conscience, or that anyone was taken advantage of.

Personally, I feel there is a big difference between the guy who buys a knife, decides he doesn't want to keep it, sells it for what the market dictates and the guy who perpetually buys multiples of a highly coveted release for the sheer purpose of profit.

The latter buys multiples, not because of a love for knives but because if he/she can get their hands on several, they know they can sell for considerable profit to those who actually do have an interest in knives but do not find themselves so fortunate to get in on the initial release. I call that predatory behavior. The former example, not so much.

I do not do a lot of selling but when I do list a knife, I forgo the market value on some because I don't collect knives for the money and I would rather provide the knife to someone who might be looking for that model at a fair price. Please bear in mind that my practices are my own principles and I wouldn't and don't intend to project them on anyone else.

A few weeks ago, I listed an #85 at what I thought was a fair price. Not including insurance and shipping costs, I am pretty certain that my price was fairly close to what I paid retail initially. Someone snapped it up immediately. Now someone else listed the same knife shortly after(same model and covers, different knife) for well over 100 bucks more than what I asked. It was disheartening but I know the guy to not be a flipper, he was just utilizing the market value in a manner that he saw fit. When I list my knives at my prices, I risk contributing to the flippers by letting them buy something that I know they can turn around and make another 50-100 on top. It is something I grapple with when I list a knife but ultimately it isn't something I can control.

In the end, it is clear who the flippers are and who aren't. Selling a knife at current market value isn't flipping unless a number of other factors come into play, factors that have been discussed ad nauseam here and elsewhere.

Last edited:
I wonder about market value minus retail paid divided in half added to the sale price? Not flipping but a fair markup?

As a New Zealander- any knife I buy in American Money is very costly- I pay easily 50 to 60% more than the average American when you take in Shipping as well - all because of the exchange rate :( Yet I have many- this doesnt speak well for my mental state lol:D:oops:

GEC have their marketing sorted out as a business that is a sensible model- it works! and those left behind moan and groan - not thinking that you as Americans are extremely lucky to have one of the World's top quality Cutlers in your Country, lets not forget the demise of such Greats as Schrade, Camillus, Queen, Canal Street etc and more so- GEC are producing knives that on the average are almost Custom Quality - and at times I believe equal to, at around the average of $120 or so Wow!

Limiting numbers is a very smart idea- not an idea that has some evil man behind it snickering as dozens of victims fall by - We just need to look at the survival rate of a Cutler Firm in America today.

We are so so very lucky to have Bill Howard at the Helm of a Cutler business that is recreating amazing old Time Frames and patterns - for those who are so quick to damn- do a bit of homework just how talented Bill Howard is- I think we are extremely lucky to have this man who is able to employ people in America making Hand assembled knives that are extremely good value when compared to the very high quality.

There is not an American Cutler firm who produce on the average of extremely good quality Knives like GEC do.

A lot of people who knock GEC would actually benefit from touring the GEC factory as I have- its an amazing eye opener just how much goes into each knife with the Human hand handling each knife over 100 times during production.

I often see people state that "that knife better be near perfect if I am going to pay $100 for it"...wow! I have a chuckle at that because if you call a Plumber you have spent that by the time that guy gets out his Van- your $100 on a Traditional knife gets you a knife that - if a drop of oil is placed in the joints now and then - and use but not abuse- this knife will outlast you, your son, his son and probably his son as well.

One other thing..... people who get absolutely livid at people being "flickers" etc, the fact is that if there is a good artist, a good Knife, a good car etc- it will appreciate in value because of what you get out of them, its a buyers market and if people want to pay $300 to $400 dollars for a SFO that is so very hard to get- that knife just may finalise the buyers collection - or may be his/her grail that he or she may think its worth every cent.

I guess its very much like this- If I heard a guy knocking flippers who sell a GEC knife for three time as to what he bought it for- because people are buying them up at a great rate at those prices- and I then walk into the guys garage and see his '69 Z28 Camaro, I would gladly pay the factory price of $3000.00 for it- and exclaim profanities because he is making a profit with his asking price :) , or I will ask him how much he paid for his house that he bought 5 years ago and buy it off him and expect for him to make no capital gain- ok ok that's going a bit too far comparing a knife with a Car or a House - but the principles the same- buyers demand- there weren't 200.000 Z28 Camaros made so therefore there's a higher buyer demand- that car is a wanted grail to some, as are many GEC's in the knife world there are people who in a drop of a hat pay 300 to 400 for a year or 2 year old SFO - take for instance an earlier 85 Frame Stag etc.

I just let it be for what it is.

I think we are very lucky - SO lucky to have still - in todays tough economic situation dealing with China's ability to copy and blitz great companies such as the above stated, and really..... what would we do if GEC had to close their doors? that woyuld be another great loss that would be hard to accept.
I think we are so lucky to have this great Cutlery firm here in America - surely you have to embrace this?

I do- and I dont even live there, I am in New Zealand - yet I see what a treasure you have, and yes I have traveled to the States and experienced the GEC tour- which was an amazing eye opener.

I own many knives, and collect, soon I am looking to move some fairly collectible GEC 's and I will sell them for what they are going for at today's rate- which may be 3 or 4 times for some of the releases - compared what they were originally were sold for.
I wont accept anyone coming in an trying to yell down my sale because of this, I have had to pay to get knives I have wanted - usually at a higher rate than the dealer rate when new, I have also paid 6 to 7 times the price to obtain a GEC SFO that was a rare one to make sure a certain person who had every single particular SFO release- could get that one- so I too have paid greatly- but...it was supply and demand - I had the choice of buying the knife or not, there was a gap that needed filling in a collection - the price paid to do that equaled the need.
The knives I will be buying to replace these GEC's I intend to sell - are are very much more greatly priced than what they were when released- it's just the price we pay for liking a certain object - we do have choices.

To everyone, I apologise for the rave- I just don't want you or me to experience another great loss of the Cutler world - we have something very good going on here.

Last edited:
Well said Duncan. I can tell you are a fellow - stout of heart & fair & honest * (with a nice knife collection too). ;)
Thanks for that post.

Cheers,

Ray

* OH - I must say that there have been hints of your nature before this too :thumbsup: :)

Ray, well said my friend. Duncan, as we say over here, our friend from over the ditch, no doubt is a man of sense and integrity.:thumbsup:

Well my friend, you have probably seen more of NZ than me :eek: - Well no seriously not really though- I do get embarrassed when they NZ is so Green - when I have traveled Canada, England, Europe and the States- all of these Countries have parts that equal each other in Beauty- at times in different ways I guess!
In saying that I do think we are a Nation that cares- but at times you see the typical example of a Human being acting like trash- and it always seems as though it happens to a Tourist who has come to enjoy our Land and at times been punished for this :mad::(

Yes - every place has its special beauty, if one can see - just as every place has its warm & compassionate, fun & interesting people, if one can reach out. Of course, there are the flip sides :( Would love to get to NZ someday.:thumbsup:

Ray

Last edited:
Dang...an Appaloosa Northwoods Signal Jack sold for $285...and a red micarta sold for $250. What are these mammoths gonna demand?!?

EDIT: Nevermind...there is one listed for $499 + shipping

EDIT EDIT: $599! and the seller has 2

Last edited:
Yes - every place has its special beauty, if one can see - just as very place has its warm & compassionate, fun & interesting people, if one can reach out. Of course, there are the flip sides :( Would love to get to NZ someday.:thumbsup:

Ray
Ray you would love it. The mountain and high country in the south island just blows your mind.

Ray you would love it. The mountain and high country in the south island just blows your mind.

I absolutely know that I would. :thumbsup: Just have to retire with money so I can start traveling again. :rolleyes:

Ray

The new 29 has been available at KSF and GP for over a day so I'm officially declaring "no frenzy" on these. 125 bucks must be too much dough for the flippers to make an instant profit. That is quite a bit more than the Ramfeet.

It has, however, sold out fast at some of the smaller places so who knows, maybe just a slow starter.

I like the first 29 a lot. Well, GEC acrylics often do it for me. I missed the Northwoods Signal Jacks by seconds at the drop - and again going after a couple flips... I have to say that it's definitely more "fun" to have a new 29 on the way than the angst, etc. that goes with Northwoods drops (still want one, though - of course!).

Yes, I am glad I grabbed one. Should be here this week. After thinking about it the “punch” should be a useful addition. All of my GECs, except one, are users. Will post some photos soon.

Three Finger already has a Sambar 29 listed for $215...trying to flip a knife, that he doesn't even have yet!

tisk tisk

Last edited:
Back