• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

I predict that we will see the Lambs on the secondary very soon for $300 or better.

I stepped away from my computer for the wrong 10 minutes earlier and missed the KSF drop. Did any forumites score??

I predict that we will see the Lambs on the secondary very soon for $300 or better.

I stepped away from my computer for the wrong 10 minutes earlier and missed the KSF drop. Did any forumites score??

I lucked out and snagged a bone and ebony, right place right time, being laid up with a bad knee I'm on the computer the whole day it seems. Usually I don't luck out especially with the TC's.

I lucked out and snagged a bone and ebony, right place right time, being laid up with a bad knee I'm on the computer the whole day it seems. Usually I don't luck out especially with the TC's.
Fantastic! That makes me happy to hear. I like to think of collectors getting these great knives.

I have my name on a list, so I have my fingers crossed that I will be getting an email soon! But if I don't, I've learned that with GEC, there will usually be an opportunity somewhere down the road. :thumbsup:

You do have to wonder how many Lambfoot knives would have had to been produced to satisfy demand, would 5000 have been enough?

I feel there is a certain exclusivity to Charlie's SFOs and though it is warranted due to the incredible work and thought that goes into them, it also draws a lot of the wrong sort of people. Had the production been 5000 pieces (removing the exclusivity, in a sense), the unscrupulous would have scattered like roaches in a bright light.

I feel there is a certain exclusivity to Charlie's SFOs and though it is warranted due to the incredible work and thought that goes into them, it also draws a lot of the wrong sort of people. Had the production been 5000 pieces (removing the exclusivity, in a sense), the unscrupulous would have scattered like roaches in a bright light.

You are probably right.

I think I would rather see dealers do "lists" or reserves of some type, rather than drops.

We, here on the forum, are usually among the first to be privy to info on new SFOs, and we know to jump on contacting our favorite dealers. I feel the drops tend to favor the flippers and scalpers, tho I have managed to get lucky in the past.

XUNKkxn.jpg

sjoc4Nz.jpg

Yeah these will do just fine!

When did they get posted on KSF? I've been refreshing their page all day and checking their social media pages!

When did they get posted on KSF? I've been refreshing their page all day and checking their social media pages!

You missed it. It was at 12pm PST. They sold out in a couple minutes. There was no notice other than the email saying they were now available and to have at it.

How about a pre-order...You pay and they make you a knife?

Pre-orders are generally frowned upon here. Too many instances of knifemakers taking money and not making/delivering knives.

You missed it. It was at 12pm PST. They sold out in a couple minutes. There was no notice other than the email saying they were now available and to have at it.

Yep, luckily just had them add me to their drop list for this at lunch and was able to nab a jigged bone when i saw the e-mail.

I've done pre-orders on knives (Bark River, other Forum knifes, etc) in the past and my orders went through fine. Not sure what the problem is here?!?

I should clarify:

Pre-orders are not the norm and they generally are frowned on. That said, there are established makers with long standing reputations that do pre-orders without any issues but they adhere to their self-imposed and rather strict guidelines (Carothers (CPK) comes to mind). The forum knife is also an example of a pre-order.

However, peruse the GBU sub here and you will find all sorts of instances where pre-orders go awry. They generally are not looked upon very favorably as a result.

I should clarify:

Pre-orders are not the norm and they generally are frowned on. That said, there are established makers with long standing reputations that do pre-orders without any issues but they adhere to their self-imposed and rather strict guidelines (Carothers (CPK) comes to mind). The forum knife is also an example of a pre-order.

However, peruse the GBU sub here and you will find all sorts of instances where pre-orders go awry. They generally are not looked upon very favorably as a result.
Normally it should be something like you put your card info in and they have permission to charge you when done. That way everyone gets a knife and no one has to pay until they're ready.

Personally, I do not have the bandwidth to go seeking out every knife dealer that might "drop" something that I am interested in. I am amazed that so many folks can be as plugged in as they are and still remain productive individuals. I stick with a couple of dealers that I am familiar and comfortable with. As a result, I miss out sometimes, but that is my own personal choice and my blood pressure thanks me for it.

That said, plenty of dealers offer reserves which is as akin to a pre-order as one can get without the full amount being paid up front. Some require a deposit, some do not. But, my point is, if you are interested in an upcoming release, particularly one of Charlie's, he does list his dealers on his website, and I know two of them (likely more) offer an opportunity to reserve.

For instance, there are 9 dealers listed. If each of those dealers carried, on average, 50ish knives (allowing for seconds and other variables), that really isn't a whole lot of knives, given the demand for them. This isn't a Northwoods release where you have 500(ish) knives (or is it 100?) all being sold on one dealer's website (and they still sell out in minutes!).

My only gripe about GEC is that in 2013 I passed up on a mint #81 Abilene Stockman in Yellow Rose configuration. The dealer tried to tell me I would likely not find one again, but I did not understand GEC's limited run system at the time and thought I could just order one whenever. I should not complain because I instead bought a gorgeous #73 Northfield in dark brown horse-cut bone - a knife which continues to bring joy. I should have just bought both and been twice as happy.

I still hold out hope for another run of Yellow Rose #81 Abilenes but am not sure if it will be in my lifetime... Rant over.

Back